Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Anytime you need a reminded just call. :)

The point still remains for this Duke team. Who cares who they have beaten, they just won a national title. They can lose in the first round of the NCAA and be ready for a final four run next season. That's not happening under Crean at IU.

we were strictly talking about the resumes for this years 2016 March madness tounament so I would assume whoever was in that conversation cares who they have beaten. I could care less if they won last year or if they win the next year after I was specifically talking about their resume for this year so far in the season and the point remains iu is their best win this year. That will change when they start playing North Carolina, Virginia, Louisville just like are best win so far is notre dame but that will change when we play iowa, Maryland at home. but to get back on topic fire tom crean

we were strictly talking about the resumes for this years 2016 March madness tounament so I would assume whoever was in that conversation cares who they have beaten. I could care less if they won last year or if they win the next year after I was specifically talking about their resume for this year so far in the season and the point remains iu is their best win this year. That will change when they start playing North Carolina, Virginia, Louisville just like are best win so far is notre dame but that will change when we play iowa, Maryland at home. but to get back on topic fire tom crean

I get its about this years resume. but you can't just pick Duke and say it's a similar situation to IU. That's why I point to previous seasons, the mood of the fanbase towards their coach, along with the expectations for the season etc.

But glad we can agree with your last comment, fire Tom Crean.

I know most are completely out on Crean and I get that. His resume does not indicate that he will lead Indiana to the level most picture Indiana basketball reaching, let alone sustaining...and I'm probably right there with you. It also isn't that simple, as the RIGHT replacement needs to be there or you may miss on subsequent recruiting classes. It's really a toss up.

So, for the sake of discussion.... 

1) What finish do you actually project?

2) What finish do YOU need to give Crean another year, with some degree of reality if possible?

3) What finish do you think Glass will bring Crean back at? 

Overall (regular season) record: 1) 22-9 (12-6);    2) 24-7 (14-4); 3) 22-9 (12-6)

NCAA finish:                                  1)Sweet sixteen2) Elite 8;          3) Rd of 32

And what realistic recruiting class gives him another year and changes (2)?

Recruiting class: Markus Howard, Devonte Green, Curtis Jones, De'Ron Davis

Keep in mind, that the 17 class is loaded in the state, and the success Crean has this season goes hand in hand with his chances with some of that talent. '18 is also loaded in state. When do you make the change?

I know most are completely out on Crean and I get that. His resume does not indicate that he will lead Indiana to the level most picture Indiana basketball reaching, let alone sustaining...and I'm probably right there with you. It also isn't that simple, as the RIGHT replacement needs to be there or you may miss on subsequent recruiting classes. It's really a toss up.

2) What finish do YOU need to give Crean another year, with some degree of reality if possible?

Overall (regular season) record: 1) 22-9 (12-6); 2) 24-7 (14-4); 3) 22-9 (12-6)

NCAA finish: 1)Sweet sixteen; 2) Elite 8; 3) Rd of 32

Keep in mind, that the 17 class is loaded in the state, and the success Crean has this season goes hand in hand with his chances with some of that talent. '18 is also loaded in state. When do you make the change?

I don't see any reason to retain him no matter what happens this season or on the recruiting trail. His history suggests he is inconsistent and doesn't win big, he wins just enough to hang on. That isn't a recipe for success. I would rather take a gamble on another coach then hang on to guaranteed mediocrity.

That said, I think he is safe as long as he makes the tourney. I think that is sad but true. At 15-3, even with the tough games ahead, that means he only needs to realistically win 6 more games all season to have a good chance at the tournament.

I predict 24 wins on the season which isn't bad, but after enduring the past 2 years, it also isn't the climax most were hoping for (final four/1 or 2 seed)

I don't see any reason to retain him no matter what happens this season or on the recruiting trail. His history suggests he is inconsistent and doesn't win big, he wins just enough to hang on. That isn't a recipe for success. I would rather take a gamble on another coach then hang on to guaranteed mediocrity.

That said, I think he is safe as long as he makes the tourney. I think that is sad but true. At 15-3, even with the tough games ahead, that means he only needs to realistically win 6 more games all season to have a good chance at the tournament.

I predict 24 wins on the season which isn't bad, but after enduring the past 2 years, it also isn't the climax most were hoping for (final four/1 or 2 seed)

Should have added, who is your realistic option for a coach next year if you take this perspective? I'm not calling you out, just saying I understand this answer but what is the better realistic alternative? I think I only see one and BS is not realistic this offseason

1. 22-9. (12-6). 23-8 (13-5). 20-11 (10-8)

2. R. 32. Sweet sixteen. NCAA appearance 64

Recruiting- class we have currently will be enough to keep him. But based on my answers in the middle column, I'd like 1 more big splash. Howard, Thon, Rawle, TBD. (Or retain JB and Troy).

Other assumption for me keeping him means we land the 2017 class we want better than the next coach. Wilkes, Scruggs, Williams or whoever else is best.

That's exactly what it was.

A troll comment is only made for a reason to disgrace another person or dog on someone that's not at all what he was doing, I thought it was pretty clear he didn't mean to upset anyone. Making an observation about something is not a troll comment people misuse the word too much.

A troll comment is only made for a reason to disgrace another person or dog on someone that's not at all what he was doing, I thought it was pretty clear he didn't mean to upset anyone. Making an observation about something is not a troll comment people misuse the word too much.

"A troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement."

That is exactly what his post was but it was clear he wasn't trying to cause an uproar that's why he didn't get in trouble, warned, told to cut it out or anything of that nature. I do agree the word is misused a lot but in this case none of the people saying it was trolling were the ones misusing it.

"A troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement."

That is exactly what his post was but it was clear he wasn't trying to cause an uproar that's why he didn't get in trouble, warned, told to cut it out or anything of that nature. I do agree the word is misused a lot but in this case none of the people saying it was trolling were the ones misusing it.

Did he start an argument, no. Did he upset people, I hope not. And you already stated he didn't have deliberate intent of provoking anybody, so where does what he did for this definition?

I get its about this years resume. but you can't just pick Duke and say it's a similar situation to IU. That's why I point to previous seasons, the mood of the fanbase towards their coach, along with the expectations for the season etc.

But glad we can agree with your last comment, fire Tom Crean.

i can if I'm only talking about this years resume. I wasn't comparing Duke I just used them as an example of another high profile team that has a couple of wins against ncaa quality opponents for this years tounament. If I wanted to talk about the state of the iu program as compared to Duke the last 17 years I would of started a thread about that or waited until some else did and post in it. There's other teams I could of used that don't have many quality wins against NCAA type teams. Why on earth would anyone compare iu's situation with dukes in the last 20 years. They are a powerhouse we are not. I think you are stuck on the fact the my conversation is in a fire Tim crean thread and I posted it as an excuse. In reality I was just making an observation and comparing 2 resumes for this years tournament I probably should of moved it to the college basketball thread.

Overall (regular season) record: 1) 22-9 (12-6); 2) 24-7 (14-4); 3) 22-9 (12-6)

NCAA finish: 1)Sweet sixteen; 2) Elite 8; 3) Rd of 32

Season: 1. 22-9, (12-6), rd 64/32
2. Winning the Big Ten, whatever the record.
Final Four. (The talent is there)
3. I think this depends on if Stevens is available.
I don't think records matter at this point, other than a championship of some sort being won.

Recruiting class: doesn't matter. You never keep a coach just bc of a single recruiting class. A class can always look good on paper (the movement) and bust, or look like crap and be great (Oladipo/Sheehey).

Also, say we land Stevens or another elite coach, the Indiana kids would be more likely to come over keeping Crean. If the new coach would want them.

Overall (regular season) record: 1) 22-9 (12-6);    2) 24-7 (14-4); 3) 22-9 (12-6)

NCAA finish:                                  1)Sweet sixteen2) Elite 8;          3) Rd of 32

You hit on it in your first paragraph. "The RIGHT coach has to be there..." If this is the case, then you get rid of him when the right guy is available. I'm not sold that we cant still land these kids if the right guy takes the job. But even if that was the case and the entire 2017 & 2018 class become sacrificial lambs, I'm all for pulling the trigger anyways. Indiana will continue to produce top notch talent. I say elite 8 or better and HAS to have a top 3 finish in the B1G. I really dont think there is any class that will help Crean win at an elite level. He's had 8 years to recruit and win at a level that Indiana is capable of winning at. That's more than fair imo.