Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Be hypothetical with me for a quick second. What does this board, and the overall outlook on IU basketball look like if Jordan Morgan's tip goes in?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="Hovadipo" post="38126" timestamp="1392338653"]Be hypothetical with me for a quick second. What does this board, and the overall outlook on IU basketball look like if Jordan Morgan's tip goes in?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

I don't think it would have been as bad still with a share of the title.

[quote name="Hovadipo" post="38126" timestamp="1392338653"]Be hypothetical with me for a quick second. What does this board, and the overall outlook on IU basketball look like if Jordan Morgan's tip goes in?

One of the few defense for Crean gets knocked down a peg, and calls for firing are even more intense.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="indianato" post="38108" timestamp="1392335907"]Once upon a time, I was told by a good source that Santa brought my presents. Turned out not to be true.

Sent from my LG-E980 using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote]

That is AMAZING. Will be reusing that when recruiting "sources" become present again.

What does it look like if Indiana beats Penn State last night? Doubt we'd be 10 pages deep on this thread

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="38157" timestamp="1392343746"]What does it look like if Indiana beats Penn State last night? Doubt we'd be 10 pages deep on this thread

Lol you're exactly right.

What does it look like if Indiana beats Penn State last night? Doubt we'd be 10 pages deep on this thread

I think we would have had to keep the 10 point lead that we had going into the final segment of the game. If we had blown the lead and held on, a good amount of fans would still be upset. Maybe not at the levels we are seeing now though.

THEY ARE TRUE FRESHMAN. when Vic was a freshman you were all saying the same things. There's few players like Noah and that's why he's going to the NBA. You don't just grow in a month of a couple months. It takes time and years!!! I'm so sick and tired of everyone complaining about all this non-sense. It's Big Ten basketball and we have almost an entirely new team compared to the previous. That's a recipe for disaster right there.
Next year we have a 5 star player that will be one of the best scores in the big ten in the years to come and also another outstanding 4 star recruit that is a hard working tough kid.
So sick and tired of this non-sense.

Like others on this board the downhill climb if you will started toward last few game of last year. Is it a Team chemistry issue? I like Coach Crean. Graduates players. Doesn't get the kids that get in trouble with the law. I think he is the right man at the right time. But the collapse in the PSU game shakes the foundation of the Hoosier Nation to its core. Here's hoping the Coaches can right the ship and punch our ticket with a BiG 10 tourney Championship! BEAT Purdue! Go Hoosiers!

I doubt that the Btown Banners Twitter feed would have been telling everyone to bring their pitch forks and have at it. You never know though.

THEY ARE TRUE FRESHMAN. when Vic was a freshman you were all saying the same things. There's few players like Noah and that's why he's going to the NBA. You don't just grow in a month of a couple months. It takes time and years!!! I'm so sick and tired of everyone complaining about all this non-sense. It's Big Ten basketball and we have almost an entirely new team compared to the previous. That's a recipe for disaster right there.
Next year we have a 5 star player that will be one of the best scores in the big ten in the years to come and also another outstanding 4 star recruit that is a hard working tough kid.
So sick and tired of this non-sense.

4 of our principle players are a fifth year senior in Gordon, a senior in Shehey, a mcdonalds all american in yogi, and a mcdaa in Noah who will be a top 10 pick. Plus "the movement" as sophs.

You say that youth is part of our problem yet you turn around and expect immediate contribution from our incoming frosh? Which is it?

I gotta tell you Blackmon won't be too hard for big ten players to guard on the perimeter when perea and jurkin are our low post players

First off, welcome to the site. KILLER first post. You e set the bar high for your second post :)

Now to business, I'm curious what your thoughts would be on Kentucky then. They won the National Championship, unloaded their entire team and wound up in the NIT the following season. Is that bad coaching too? They had more talent than this Indiana team, but found the NIT after a championship.

I agree Crean has his issues, but youth of this team is a real thing. It's easy to get carried away with our team when we had guys start for 4 years in Hulls, Watford group.

Sorry I got caught up yesterday.  I really don't think that Cal is a great coach either, but he NBA level guys, three and four of which are starters.  I will admit that Crean has gotten a few of those, but not at the level UK has.  I know they are young, but the problem with that is the way we are recruiting means that we are going to continue to be young, because all these guys are going to bail after a year.

Recruiting like this pays off, because the best don't want to spend 4 years in college, but maturity is what helps teams win.  I think great coaches can overcome some of those pitfalls, I'm just not seeing that yet.

[quote name="eddiejames" post="38300" timestamp="1392385354"]Sorry I got caught up yesterday. I really don't think that Cal is a great coach either, but he NBA level guys, three and four of which are starters. I will admit that Crean has gotten a few of those, but not at the level UK has. I know they are young, but the problem with that is the way we are recruiting means that we are going to continue to be young, because all these guys are going to bail after a year.

Recruiting like this pays off, because the best don't want to spend 4 years in college, but maturity is what helps teams win. I think great coaches can overcome some of those pitfalls, I'm just not seeing that yet.[/quote]

John Calipari is actually a really good coach, but it gets overlooked because he brings in such good players.

You can tell most of his players weren't taught the game very well in high school. They were basically just left alone while they overpowered everyone. Cal is really good at teaching them the game, and you usually can see clear improvement throughout the season.

Aside from that, he manages all these high profile kids' egos and is usually successful in doing so.

He wins for a reason, and it's not just because he recruits (or pays, whichever you prefer) top notch talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Understood. He is at fault some. I just can't say this team, or last years team underachieved. This years team isn't talented enough. A Bob Knight/Brad Stevens love child couldn't win with these guys. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I totally disagree with you.  This year's team is plenty talented...not many teams in the country have a post presence like Noah to go along with a PG the caliber of Yogi Ferrell.  They lack discipline and focus and that comes from the coaching staff.  You asked earlier how do you teach kids not to turn it over...that is all part of staying focused and keeping your head in the game.  I don't know what specific "drills" you use to drive that home to kids but the fact remains, some teams are just better at it than others.  Perfect case in point would be last year's Illinois game at Champaign where we allowed a completely uncontested layup off an in bounds play with just seconds to go...  I don't think Crean is garbage but like I stated before, I think he is well below average when it comes to in-game strategy and teaching Xs and Os.

Ok folks , I've been. " blindly defending" Crean this week. I want to see how he handles THIS. He has thumped his chest about how he cleaned the program up. Got rid of the drug use and failing grades. Let's see what he does here. Could change my vote quick.

Sorry I got caught up yesterday.  I really don't think that Cal is a great coach either, but he NBA level guys, three and four of which are starters.  I will admit that Crean has gotten a few of those, but not at the level UK has.  I know they are young, but the problem with that is the way we are recruiting means that we are going to continue to be young, because all these guys are going to bail after a year.

Recruiting like this pays off, because the best don't want to spend 4 years in college, but maturity is what helps teams win.  I think great coaches can overcome some of those pitfalls, I'm just not seeing that yet.

The more I pay attention to him (and I can't stand the sleaze ball), the more I think he's actually a pretty good coach (ughh).  His track record was definitely superior to Crean's when he got the UK job.

The more I pay attention to him (and I can't stand the sleaze ball), the more I think he's actually a pretty good coach (ughh).  His track record was definitely superior to Crean's when he got the UK job.

May be, but regardless of who is the better coach, I'd never trade.

May be, but regardless of who is the better coach, I'd never trade.

Make no mistake, I would never want Cal as a coach.  Where there's smoke there's fire, just with Cal there's so much smoke you can't see the fire.

I'm just pointing out that he is a pretty good coach in his own right, and his track record was superior to Crean's when they took over historically elite programs.  Not that I'd want him as coach, I don't want the controversy that will inevitably follow him.