Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Understood. He is at fault some. I just can't say this team, or last years team underachieved. This years team isn't talented enough. A Bob Knight/Brad Stevens love child couldn't win with these guys. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wait what? The sophomores were a top 10 recruiting class with three guys in the top 100. The freshmen were also a top 10 recruting class with four guys in the top 100.

Everyone who follows recruting closely certainly though Crean was bring a lot of talent in. Were they all wrong? If so, how much of that is on Crean for misjudging the level of talent he was bringing in?

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. I think we have plenty of talent. Developing them, getting them ready to contribute at a high level right away, and figuring out how to use the talent to the best of its abilities seem like much bigger issues to me.

[quote name="Rayl" post="38024" timestamp="1392318412"]Wait what? The sophomores were a top 10 recruiting class with three guys in the top 100. The freshmen were also a top 10 recruting class with four guys in the top 100.

Everyone who follows recruting closely certainly though Crean was bring a lot of talent in. Were they all wrong? If so, how much of that is on Crean for misjudging the level of talent he was bringing in?

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. I think we have plenty of talent. Developing them, getting them ready to contribute at a high level right away, and figuring out how to use the talent to the best of its abilities seem like much bigger issues to me.[/quote]

What coach in the country could develop Peter Jurkin? God love him he stinks. And as I posted earlier, Patterson can't get on the floor at Syracuse and their coach clearly out coached ours in the Sweet Sixteen. He can't develop Patterson and he has to be a better coach, right ?

There is recruiting magazine ratings and there is real world ratings. IU has potential, just gonna take time to develop. Vic didn't light the world on fire as a freshman and he ended up ok.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What coach in the country could develop Peter Jurkin? God love him he stinks. And as I posted earlier, Patterson can't get on the floor at Syracuse and their coach clearly out coached ours in the Sweet Sixteen. He can't develop Patterson and he has to be a better coach, right ?

There is recruiting magazine ratings and there is real world ratings. IU has potential, just gonna take time to develop. Vic didn't light the world on fire as a freshman and he ended up ok.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Does the guy who gave Peter Jurkin a scholarship deserve any blame for misjudging him?

Funny you should mention Vic not lighting the world on fire his freshman season. Go back and look at the numbers. I'd take Vic's freshman year over Hollowell, Robinson, Williams, Sheehey, Davis, Etherington and Gordon this season.

But, if you are expecting Tom Crean to turn the current crop into a bunch of Victor Oladipo's, prepare to be disappointed.

There are two main ways to win a basketball championship these days. You can do as Kentucky and many other's are trying, by recruiting highly touted NBA ready high school kids that hopefully gel during the month of February of their Freshman year, and make a run in March;

OR,

You have to recruit, as Bob Knight used to, iron willed kids who're great shooters and defenders, who more than likely will hang around for three or four years.

You can't have a mix of the two. This is what Crean is attempting, and it won't work. Vonleh would be a fool to stay another year, and you can pretty much count on at least one other player currently on the team, transferring at the end of the year.

There are two main ways to win a basketball championship these days. You can do as Kentucky and many other's are trying, by recruiting highly touted NBA ready high school kids that hopefully gel during the month of February of their Freshman year, and make a run in March;

OR,

You have to recruit, as Bob Knight used to, iron willed kids who're great shooters and defenders, who more than likely will hang around for three or four years.

You can't have a mix of the two. This is what Crean is attempting, and it won't work. Vonleh would be a fool to stay another year, and you can pretty much count on at least one other player currently on the team, transferring at the end of the year.

Why exactly won't it work to have both 4 year players and one and dones?

Definitely not on it. I won't be suggesting anything until next year. If we only get to the sweet sixteen again next year then I'll consider. This is really his first bad year considering the talent he has currently. I'll admit that he's not the best coach and some of his rotations are very questionable but I don't think people realize how challenging it will be to just pick up someone better than him. And also you can't blame all of the losses on him. Some blame has to go on the players, not all of it, but some. It's very challenging to coach a team as young as this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Definitely not on it. I won't be suggesting anything until next year. If we only get to the sweet sixteen again next year then I'll consider. This is really his first bad year considering the talent he has currently. I'll admit that he's not the best coach and some of his rotations are very questionable but I don't think people realize how challenging it will be to just pick up someone better than him. And also you can't blame all of the losses on him. Some blame has to go on the players, not all of it, but some. It's very challenging to coach a team as young as this.

So you will be disappointed with a sweet 16 next year? Prepare to be catostrophically disappointed

OR,

With all due respect, I think you are flat out wrong with your last statement. Boeheim won his only championship with Melo being a one and down. Plus, Coach K is now in the mix with these kids as well as his best player this year. If you don't sign them, somebody else will and beat your a$$. You have to sign and recruit the best players available regardless if they are one and done.

Understood. He is at fault some. I just can't say this team, or last years team underachieved. This years team isn't talented enough. A Bob Knight/Brad Stevens love child couldn't win with these guys. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This year's team at least has enough talent to make the tournament, that won't happen.  Last year's team had 2 lottery picks and 4 1,000 point scorers, they were capable of more than a measly Sweet 16.  They peaked @MSU and faded down the stretch.  As a #1 seed, a Final Four is expected.  Accomplishing less than you are capable of is the very definition of underachieving.

This year's team at least has enough talent to make the tournament, that won't happen.  Last year's team had 2 lottery picks and 4 1,000 point scorers, they were capable of more than a measly Sweet 16.  They peaked @MSU and faded down the stretch.  As a #1 seed, a Final Four is expected.  Accomplishing less than you are capable of is the very definition of underachieving.

Just because you expect it doesn't mean everyone else does. The tournament is a crap shoot. I was disappointed but I didn't expect a Final Four. I was hoping but I've been through enough of these to know better than to expect it.

Bozich article hits the nail on the head.  The team panicked and when they needed him most Crean had no answer.

Just because you expect it doesn't mean everyone else does. The tournament is a crap shoot. I was disappointed but I didn't expect a Final Four. I was hoping but I've been through enough of these to know better than to expect it.

If you didn't expect at least a Final Four, you were in the minority.

Hell, I'd be thrilled w/ a sweet 16 next year, esp. if Noah leaves ( I would, never gets the ball). I see a team next year that is about the same as this, maybe a little better. This years team looks like it might not even make the NIT. 

Absolutely not.  Ask me again one year from now, I might have a different answer.  But for now, nope.  I will admit my confidence level in CTC is wavering a bit.  I know, just a bit?  I have learned to keep an even keel with my teams.  I'm disappointed in this season but I'm not losing my mind about it.  Winning the Big Ten outright last season earns him enough leeway for now that firing him is not on my radar.  Another season like this will definitely move my needle in a different direction.

Bozich article hits the nail on the head.  The team panicked and when they needed him most Crean had no answer.

If you didn't expect at least a Final Four, you were in the minority.

Just because you say I'm in the minority neither makes it true that I'm in the minority nor correct that it was to be expected. Lots of people have unrealistic expectations. I see it on forums all the time. You're probably right on minority of the general population though. Not so right on it being a reasonable expectation.  

Absolutely not. Ask me again one year from now, I might have a different answer. But for now, nope. I will admit my confidence level in CTC is wavering a bit. I know, just a bit? I have learned to keep an even keel with my teams. I'm disappointed in this season but I'm not losing my mind about it. Winning the Big Ten outright last season earns him enough leeway for now that firing him is not on my radar. Another season like this will definitely move my needle in a different direction.

The big ten title combined with the total fade down the stretch, cutting down the nets for no reason, early exit in the BTT and total and complete embarrassment of a #1 seed in the NCAA make last year a total wash for me

[quote name="Buck Naked" post="37972" timestamp="1392311493"]I've read some interesting replys to my post and I have a couple of questions/replys: How do you teach not turning the ball over? What is the drill? As far as the inbounds plays, could it not be execution? Automatically the coaches fault that inbounds plays that probably worked with 2 NBA players last year won't work this year? How much patience should we have? I don't know. We waited 20 years for an out right B1G title, I can wait a few more. Sweet Sixteen loss to Syracuse? You do realize that the core of that team is one of only 2 undefeated teams left right? And a guy from The Movement can't sniff the floor.[/quote]

Awesome post! I had a crappy night at work, can I blame that on coach too? And as far as him being our fourth choice, how does anyone know? Once upon a time, I was told by a good source that Santa brought my presents. Turned out not to be true.

Sent from my LG-E980 using BtownBanners mobile app

I love when people mistake athleticism for "talent." I feel as though we're headed towards being 2013-14 Ohio State. That team is just a more experienced version of us, and I don't want that to be this group of guys' ceiling. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Tired of hearing that we are young. Yes we are young but damnit there should have been improvement over the course of the year and I'm seeing the same team that took the floor against Chicago state on opening night. Crean has to take some blame and he takes none and throws everyone under the bus. How many times have we seen him get outcoached in the second half of games? That's on HIM. This team is only going to get better once he looks in the mirror and he gets better. Until then we wil see 20 turnovers a game, no movement on offense, and a guy running like a chicken with it's head cut off on the sidelines.