Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

http://kentsterling.com/2017/02/16/indiana-basketball-is-tom-crean-the-right-coach-for-indiana-in-2017-2018-iubb/

More reasons to fire him. As most of us already thought this proves it. Sterling says he has talked to several coaches in Indiana and he has just flat out burned the bridge. If he isnt even welcome in some schools than how can we expect Indiana University to get the Indiana kids that we need. I just think there are too many pros on the side of letting Crean go compared to keeping him.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

http://kentsterling.com/2017/02/16/indiana-basketball-is-tom-crean-the-right-coach-for-indiana-in-2017-2018-iubb/

More reasons to fire him. As most of us already thought this proves it. Sterling says he has talked to several coaches in Indiana and he has just flat out burned the bridge. If he isnt even welcome in some schools than how can we expect Indiana University to get the Indiana kids that we need. I just think there are too many pros on the side of letting Crean go compared to keeping him.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

If you can't recruit this state, you won't consistently succeed at IU. It's that simple. Basketball is Indiana's game and it's no coincidence that the state is a hot bed for top notch recruits

If I am wrong about this then I will be one happy Hoosier but Brad Stevens Ain't Walking Through That Door. So can we just stop talking about the guy and then maybe by the grace of God Glass and Brad will prove me and many others wrong.

I think part of his problem is his feel for the game. He trusts analytics too much and that is coming from someone that is a data analysts. Numbers in either direction always tell a part of the story. He trusts those numbers and tendencies too much. I will agree with that. I have been at numerous games over the years of all sports where a coach would go through notes. Not the whole game, but periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree with you on the analytics and also wondered for years now that he just doesn't have any feel to the game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

EVerything is still speculative but looking less speculative every day.   Pap - If it happens, which '17 commits do you think we can retain if any?  Same question for our current freshmen.  Thanks.

IMO for the most part these kids would be smart to stay at IU. If the new coach wants to upgrade Im all for it.

8 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

If you can't recruit this state, you won't consistently succeed at IU. It's that simple. Basketball is Indiana's game and it's no coincidence that the state is a hot bed for top notch recruits

No, lets hire a guy who has sooo many ties to New York and go recruit there. Get some of those kids that like University of Indiana. Then come up short most of the time.

Here's the problem Crean trusts analytics too much but he's not very good at understanding them. He's so obsessed with deflections but it's an over simplified stat that needs to A) broken down further into more details and B) used in conjunction with other metrics.

A kid can get 3 deflections on a play and the other team still score 3 points. You have to dive deeper. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Here's the problem Crean trusts analytics too much but he's not very good at understanding them. He's so obsessed with deflections but it's an over simplified stat that needs to A) broken down further into more details and B) used in conjunction with other metrics.

A kid can get 3 deflections on a play and the other team still score 3 points. You have to dive deeper. 

Agree. Analytics are fine but you still have to manage the game.

Agree, and to go further if the emphasis is on deflections (great stat in proper context) the player will put themselves in poor defensive positioning.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Agree, and to go further if the emphasis is on deflections (great stat in proper context) the player will put themselves in poor defensive positioning.

Great point. Stay between your man and the basket is usually the better option unless your name is Vic.

Great point. Stay between your man and the basket is usually the better option unless your name is Vic.

Absolutely, and I don't know how he gets his numbers. I have never seen 50 deflections from a player in a game. Now if you said a player got 20. I would say he was active and playing good defense. When you say 50? You are confusing them on what they should really be aiming for on that end of the floor. Imo

13 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yep which is probably why we see so many "almost " turnovers that get turned into easy 3s or wide open lay ups. 

Love this post. So many times iu in crean era have over played on defense and got burnt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I remembered couple years back crean has members of coaching staff or manager keep track of deflections and the way he counts them seemed complicated. The total number is given to players after the film break down to get all of them. I feel this stat is over rated as well. He thinks if your getting deflections you are active on defense and results will be positive but that simply is not always the case

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

No, lets hire a guy who has sooo many ties to New York and go recruit there. Get some of those kids that like University of Indiana. Then come up short most of the time.

The Big Ten Tournament is going to New York next year. Kids will know University of Indiana then