Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

Assuming IU takes care of business against Purdue and we either play in the B1G Championship game and beat NW or we play Iowa in the crossover game, both of those wins will most likely be top 15 wins. If IU finishes 8-1 with a B1G Championship or even a win over top 15 Iowa in their final game, does anybody else feel like IU has a legitimate case to make the playoffs? I know some things would have to go our way but it’s not totally crazy to rule it out just yet. It’s December and we’re talking about IU’s (somewhat) playoff chances. Amazing!

Just now, jbell833 said:

Assuming IU takes care of business and we either play in the B1G Championship game and beat NW or we play Iowa in the crossover game, both of those wins will most likely be top 15 wins. If IU finishes 8-1 with a B1G Championship or even a win over top 15 Iowa in their final game, does anybody else feel like IU has a legitimate case to make the playoffs? I know some things would have to go our way but it’s not totally crazy to rule it out just yet. It’s December and we’re talking about IU’s (somewhat) playoff chances. Amazing!

Would definitely need some whacky losses to occur but it’s 2020 anything can happen. 

27 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Assuming IU takes care of business against Purdue and we either play in the B1G Championship game and beat NW or we play Iowa in the crossover game, both of those wins will most likely be top 15 wins. If IU finishes 8-1 with a B1G Championship or even a win over top 15 Iowa in their final game, does anybody else feel like IU has a legitimate case to make the playoffs? I know some things would have to go our way but it’s not totally crazy to rule it out just yet. It’s December and we’re talking about IU’s (somewhat) playoff chances. Amazing!

Depends on if Georgia get s their 4th loss.  If they only lose one more there's no way we jump them.

On a more serious note, what are these jokers announcing the Oregon-Cal game talking about?

They're complaining O$U is ranked 4th while USC is ranked 20 when O$U has only played a few more games and their strength of schedule and strength of record is close.  USC barely beat winless Arizona State and Arizona by a combined 5 points and beat a winless Utah tam.  Yes, O$U and USC are pretty much the same teams. 

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Depends on if Georgia get s their 4th loss.  If they only lose one more there's no way we jump them.

On a more serious note, what are these jokers announcing the Oregon-Cal game talking about?

They're complaining O$U is ranked 4th while USC is ranked 20 when O$U has only played a few more games and their strength of schedule and strength of record is close.  USC barely beat winless Arizona State and Arizona by a combined 5 points and beat a winless Utah tam.  Yes, O$U and USC are pretty much the same teams. 

It’s mind boggling people have failed to notice for the last 15 years USC hasn’t been much of anything 

Ha ha. The pac 12 is such a joke

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Although I was thinking of it myself, Mike Schumann of The Daily Hoosier brought up a great suggestion. If the big ten is to change the rules and allow OSU in the conference title game (assuming OSU Michigan is not played), why not change the rules further and have OSU play IU (the two best teams) for a rematch and the big ten title? This would get the highest views, make the most money, and probably assure a big ten team in the CFP.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Although I was thinking of it myself, Mike Schumann of The Daily Hoosier brought up a great suggestion. If the big ten is to change the rules and allow OSU in the conference title game (assuming OSU Michigan is not played), why not change the rules further and have OSU play IU (the two best teams) for a rematch and the big ten title? This would get the highest views, make the most money, and probably assure a big ten team in the CFP.

Because you can't change the rules like that!  (only if it benefits the college football blueblood)

9 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

The weird thing is, if OSU comes out right now and says they forfeit next week, they get to be 5-1 without playing next weekend and play in the Big 10 championship, but if the game is called off they can’t, so I can’t totally disagree with changing the 6 game rule. However, the message being sent by OSU, the Big Ten, Barry Alvarez, etc.  is do whatever is in the best interest of your program. So I hope Michigan pulls the rug and IU gets play NW for the Big Ten title. 

Something interesting to watch for the CFP rankings release on Tuesday night.  Iowa State jumped 4 spots after beating #17 Texas by a FG.  IU just beat the #16 Badgers on the road while controlling the game for the most part with a backup QB.  Will IU see a similar jump that Iowa State did or will they have some excuse why IU shouldn't make that big of a jump?

20 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

The weird thing is, if OSU comes out right now and says they forfeit next week, they get to be 5-1 without playing next weekend and play in the Big 10 championship, but if the game is called off they can’t, so I can’t totally disagree with changing the 6 game rule. However, the message being sent by OSU, the Big Ten, Barry Alvarez, etc.  is do whatever is in the best interest of your program. So I hope Michigan pulls the rug and IU gets play NW for the Big Ten title. 

Could they by forfeiting, sure both us and OSU would only have 1 loss.  But we would have a higher percentage?

Now the announcers in the Baylor - OU game want the CFP committee to "unsee" those bad games that teams like Oklahoma and Iowa State had earlier in the year because they've played more games than the Big Ten.

I was listening and heard the same thing! That line of logic absurd

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

They gotta cling to something for the Pac 12. Oregon is at best average, same with Washington and Stanford. The rest of that conference is bad to awful. Its the same with the Big 12, they gotta build up Oklahoma somehow so they build up the rest of that crap conference

Because since they are doing it for OSU to get into the playoffs, they wouldn’t want to risk us beating them. While I would love for them to change to rule if it would put the 2 best teams together, but doubt they do so they can cater to their football darling.

I'm just going to put this right here. From Jon Blau:

IU (6-1) has now won six of its first seven conference games for the first time since 1967. Those six victories tie the program record for conference victories, set both in ’67 and ’87. Never has a Hoosier team won seven Big Ten games in a season, and this iteration has two games left.

Kevin Warren is largely to blame for our inability to make the playoffs. Had the season started as planned and we had more games in, we’d have a legit chance at making the playoffs but the committee is always going to use the “they didn’t play enough games” card with us even with our one loss being by 7 points at OSU. Warren realistically shot hinself in the foot at getting 2 potential playoff teams in this year by trying to be a “leader.”

9 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Kevin Warren is largely to blame for our inability to make the playoffs. Had the season started as planned and we had more games in, we’d have a legit chance at making the playoffs but the committee is always going to use the “they didn’t play enough games” card with us even with our one loss being by 7 points at OSU. Warren realistically shot hinself in the foot at getting 2 potential playoff teams in this year by trying to be a “leader.”

We weren’t ever going to get in.  Beating 3 cupcakes wouldn’t put us in the top 4. 

17 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Kevin Warren isn’t to blame for any of what you said. B1G Presidents/Chancellors are. Warren is their mouthpiece. 

That people still don’t understand this blows my mind. 

Yeah, I don't see how a one loss IU gets into the playoffs with an undefeated Alabama, Notre Dame, O$U, and a one loss Clemson.  If we didn't steal penn state's soul, Meatchicken decide to take the year off, and got a game against an Iowa or Northwestern for a 10th Big Ten game we might have had a chance.