Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

Everyone needs a break!  Complaining about the cluster**** that is the CFP never gets old!

I have one paper left for finals week myself. It’s a biggie and due today, but it’s on regulations of cyber banking. I’m a cyber security major who ha been in banking for almost 10 years, I got this fairly easily :) lol.

Anyway, I think any major job openings in the SEC will be worrisome. Just have to hope he truly wants to be at IU and the administration will ensure he’s compensated just like an SEC coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I have one paper left for finals week myself. It’s a biggie and due today, but it’s on regulations of cyber banking. I’m a cyber security major who ha been in banking for almost 10 years, I got this fairly easily :) lol.

Anyway, I think any major job openings in the SEC will be worrisome. Just have to hope he truly wants to be at IU and the administration will ensure he’s compensated just like an SEC coach.

Writing a stupid long one rn myself, not due until midweek.

This will be an interesting offseason and should give us an idea on how committed CTA is to staying in Btown.  If a program comes along and makes an offer with IU increasing his salary and him staying I'll feel pretty good.  As history has shown, it takes one crazy unique individual to make something of this program.

This will be an interesting offseason and should give us an idea on how committed CTA is to staying in Btown.  If a program comes along and makes an offer with IU increasing his salary and him staying I'll feel pretty good.  As history has shown, it takes one crazy unique individual to make something of this program.

I think we are find and will be fortunately to hold onto Allen for awhile, but anything can happen. Love what he’s building and everyone finally embracing that culture!

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I think we are find and will be fortunately to hold onto Allen for awhile, but anything can happen. Love what he’s building and everyone finally embracing that culture!

The culture alone may keep him here. That may count more than him being from Indiana. He loves his team and would need to start over getting people to buy in to it elsewhere. Another thing that may keep him around at least a bit longer...Thomas. I bet he would have a really hard time leaving if Thomas is still on the team here. Now, if we find out Thomas is hanging it up due to injuries, I’ll worry more (I have no evidence at all that this would happen).

One more reason...lots of production returning next season, so the chance to make another run with fans in the stands and far more normal circumstances. Now, I hope everyone realizes how important it is to fill the stadium next season!!

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don’t think Auburn would be eating a $21m buyout right now unless they had their guy lined up already. Otherwise why now? They’re not winning the SEC next year.

13 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I don’t think Auburn would be eating a $21m buyout right now unless they had their guy lined up already. Otherwise why now? They’re not winning the SEC next year.

Would they eat $21m and then whatever they intend to pay their new coach for CTA?  It'll be interesting to see if they did that for CTA or they have another candidate in mind.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would they eat $21m and then whatever they intend to pay their new coach for CTA?  It'll be interesting to see if they did that for CTA or they have another candidate in mind.

Here’s another reason we need to pay up. They could offer CTA a $1M/year raise and still save $2M/year, maybe more considering staff pay. If he’s there long term, even with raises, it could justify the current buyout. Though I don’t think CTA leaves just to be underpaid somewhere else. 

35 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Here’s another reason we need to pay up. They could offer CTA a $1M/year raise and still save $2M/year, maybe more considering staff pay. If he’s there long term, even with raises, it could justify the current buyout. Though I don’t think CTA leaves just to be underpaid somewhere else. 

It’s also one thing if the core group that made you successful will turnover, like Tracy Smith with Schwarber, Travis & co., but except Fryfogle and Philyor, this entire team is literally back next year, including CTA’s son. I think there’s too much attachment to this group to go to Auburn or anywhere else right now.

Another interesting story about coaching changes, Rich Rodriguez was West Virginia football to his core. It was his alma mater and he turned them into a NC contender. He still left for Michigan. Part of the reason was the money, but not for him but his staff that he brought with him. He felt he couldn’t turn down the opportunity to change all their families’ lives and that played into his decision. That and him being a megalomaniac. 

Now our coordinators have already turned over a bit and Big Ten money is already on the table for CTA, so again I don’t think this is comparable, but I’ve always thought about that Rich Rod story when these coaches leave the place they love for bigger opportunities. 

8 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

It’s also one thing if the core group that made you successful will turnover, like Tracy Smith with Schwarber, Travis & co., but except Fryfogle and Philyor, this entire team is literally back next year, including CTA’s son. I think there’s too much attachment to this group to go to Auburn or anywhere else right now.

Another interesting story about coaching changes, Rich Rodriguez was West Virginia football to his core. It was his alma mater and he turned them into a NC contender. He still left for Michigan. Part of the reason was the money, but not for him but his staff that he brought with him. He felt he couldn’t turn down the opportunity to change all their families’ lives and that played into his decision. That and him being a megalomaniac. 

Now our coordinators have already turned over a bit and Big Ten money is already on the table for CTA, so again I don’t think this is comparable, but I’ve always thought about that Rich Rod story when these coaches leave the place they love for bigger opportunities. 

Right. There is not much reason to think we would take a step back next season. I don’t think Michigan St is very close to being good and Michigan is just a mess. I can see PSU getting it turned back around though. OSU won’t have Fields. Sure they’ll reload, but we will be right in the mix again next season. If we pay up, this is a very hard time to leave. And recruiting will be very interesting going forward.

Right. There is not much reason to think we would take a step back next season. I don’t think Michigan St is very close to being good and Michigan is just a mess. I can see PSU getting it turned back around though. OSU won’t have Fields. Sure they’ll reload, but we will be right in the mix again next season. If we pay up, this is a very hard time to leave. And recruiting will be very interesting going forward.

While recruiting has been a lot better with Allen, if we have another really good season next year, I see recruiting taking off. Not saying OSU level, but a lot more 4 stars coming our way.

I don't think Allen's theatrics would go over too well at a place like Auburn. It's great for a program that's used to being everyone's punching bag, but kids go to Auburn to win national championships, not wear earmuffs and blinders. 

27 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I don't think Allen's theatrics would go over too well at a place like Auburn. It's great for a program that's used to being everyone's punching bag, but kids go to Auburn to win national championships, not wear earmuffs and blinders. 

Took a quick glance at some Auburn forum, Allen isn’t even on anyone’s top 15 list of candidates. 

23 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Freeze to Auburn and in typical “Liberty not giving a flying f***” fashion, Art Briles to Lynchburg. 

Briles resigned from some random HS in Texas. He's going somewhere.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30519632/art-briles-resigns-coach-mount-vernon-high-school