Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

1)  Because he's 5'11"

2)  Because he's not a scoring/stats hound.  He is a distribution point guard

3)  He is in the top 15 point guards in this class.  Not sure why that is viewed as a detriment, but any kid ranked in the top 15 at his position is terrific.   

4)  Don't put too much stock in rankings.  

I think he is bigger than his listed size. He seems like he was the few times I have seen him. 

1 minute ago, pumpfake said:

Well, time to concentrate on OUR team and players and then worry about 2019.

I'm definitely disappointed and not confident about Langford, but what really bugs me is that we whiffed on 5* recruits while even Illinois has one in the bag.  Damnit!

And that one 5 star Illinois has in the bag is their only signee and led to them burning bridges with the best basketball HS in Chicago. I wouldn't trade our recruiting class for one low 5 star.

Man i was worried this was going to be a melt down but everyone seems to be taking it really well. I really dont think this is to big of deal i am more concerned with developing the players we have. Most time i get my hopes up about a recruit they end up disappointing me when they are here anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Well, time to concentrate on OUR team and players and then worry about 2019.
I'm definitely disappointed and not confident about Langford, but what really bugs me is that we whiffed on 5* recruits while even Illinois has one in the bag.  Damnit!
It's time to focus on 2019 hard. I think the Romeo shipped may have said today.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Blackmon_for_3 said:

I think he is bigger than his listed size. He seems like he was the few times I have seen him. 

I'm 6'6 like Damezi Anderson. Just off seeing RP and Anderson next to each other at the game Friday, and eyeballing from my own height, I'd say he's definitely over 6'. Probably like 6'1 or 6'2. 

Re-confirmation of things I thought I knew, but apparently forgot:

- Message board insiders are as reliable as a $2 watch.

- 17 year old basketball players make some illogical (to us) decisions

- HH and other rally's never seem to sway recruits.  Next time let's cheer for the players who've verballed, not prim donnas that have often already decided on another school.

Man i was worried this was going to be a melt down but everyone seems to be taking it really well. I really dont think this is to big of deal more on concerned with developing the players we have. Most time i get my hopes up about a recruit they end up disappointing me when they are here anyhow.

I think most of us who have been around IU recruiting the past 3-4 years and longer, generally expect to lose these recruiting battles.

For me once we had Rob P, Garland didn't even make much sense. I wanted to dream that Garland would be our lead #1 and RP would be our career backup/eventual starter. But in reality, it's not how recruiting works. Very rarely do you recruit 2 guys for 1 position in the same class. Unless 1 is a project.

I love Garland as much as any, but once we got Rob I pretty much knew where this was headed.

Now Romeo, that's another thing altogether. Hopefully we can win that battle.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I pretty much agree with everything you have to say.
It's a pretty big downer going from thinking we had both to probably getting neither. I highly doubt Romeo waits til spring. I could see him picking vandy in the next two weeks. Onto 2019 as it needs to be huge.

15 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Why isn't he ranked a lot higher Then? What am I missing.

Maybe it's in part because he committed to IU and we're just not giddy enough in the eyes of those that do the rankings.  He commits to Duke, pUKe, KU and he'd have likely skyrocketed in the ranking.

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Re-confirmation of things I thought I knew, but apparently forgot:

- Message board insiders are as reliable as a $2 watch.

- 17 year old basketball players make some illogical (to us) decisions

- HH and other rally's never seem to sway recruits.  Next time let's cheer for the players who've verballed, not prim donnas that have often already decided on another school.

HOT take on point #3.

Man i was worried this was going to be a melt down but everyone seems to be taking it really well. I really dont think this is to big of deal i am more concerned with developing the players we have. Most time i get my hopes up about a recruit they end up disappointing me when they are here anyhow.

Sarcasm?

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm 6'6 like Damezi Anderson. Just off seeing RP and Anderson next to each other at the game Friday, and eyeballing from my own height, I'd say he's definitely over 6'. Probably like 6'1 or 6'2. 

That’s what I’m thinking. I’m 6’1” in shoes and he is as big as me for sure. 

It's time to focus on 2019 hard. I think the Romeo shipped may have said today.

You honestly think the IU staff should move on from an in-state 5 star kid that has them in his top 3 as of today because another out of state 5 star kid picked his home state? That’s an interesting strategy you present when a new coach is trying to built relationships with in state coaches and players. Your strategy of moving on in my opinion would do more to hurt in state relationships then help. You have to be willing to fight for the in state talent then cut bait and move on in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm honestly done reading stuff on here. I can't take such negative attitudes. You guys ruin it for everyone. Yogi is right, the team will be in a lot better shape next year then people think. And suddenly everyone is ready to throw in the towel on Romeo???? Pathetic. I have heard from so many plugged in people today with sources that have literally said "Don't worry about Langford unless something drastically changes, while he has said he would love to play with DG, it will have ZERO impact in his decision." 

Just now, Nick_Bragg13 said:

I'm honestly done reading stuff on here. I can't take such negative attitudes. You guys ruin it for everyone. Yogi is right, the team will be in a lot better shape next year then people think. And suddenly everyone is ready to throw in the towel on Romeo???? Pathetic. I have heard from so many plugged in people today with sources that have literally said "Don't worry about Langford unless something drastically changes, while he has said he would love to play with DG, it will have ZERO impact in his decision." 

Even Dan Dakich today who is more plugged in then people gave him credit for said he feels Romeo is still headed to Indiana despite Garland. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Just off seeing RP and Anderson next to each other at the game Friday, and eyeballing from my own height, I'd say he's definitely over 6'. Probably like 6'1 or 6'2. 

By the time RP arrives on campus, he's going to be at least 6'5".  I'm not mocking you, it's just that very early on, I think the word was he was only 5'10" and now we're up to maybe 6'2".  It's all just a part of the process and it's humorous.  Nothing more than that.

Sarcasm?

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

No most posts have been level headed there will always be exceptions when emotions are running as high as they were. I am glad this is over just lets support the guys we have cause lord knows they need it