Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jmsgws

Jordan Howard - Miami Dolphins

Jordan J Wilson , IndyStar

Former IU star has 163 yards from scrimmage vs. Colts

A little bit of Hoosier bled into the Indianapolis Colts’ 29-23 win over the Chicago Bears at home Sunday afternoon, but it didn’t come from the home team.

The ties to crimson and cream came instead from Bears rookie running back Jordan Howard, who has replaced injured starter Jeremy Langford (ankle) in the Chicago backfield the past two games.

In his only season for IU after transferring from Alabama-Birmingham, Howard finished with the Big Ten’s second-highest rushing average (134.8 per game) as a junior, despite missing 18 quarters battling injuries. He declared for the draft after his junior season and was selected by the Bears with the 150th overall pick.

Even though the on-field results might seem to say otherwise, Howard said being down the road from his alma mater didn’t add “any extra juice” to his performance Sunday. That’s just the guy his Bears teammates have known him to be.

“He’s a guy that almost seems like a Year 5 or 6 guy just because of his demeanor,” Bears starting right guard Kyle Long said. “He doesn’t say a whole lot. Less is more with him, and you see that translate on the field. I mean, the guy just runs hard. There’s nothing flashy. Next thing you know, you look up and he’s 15 yards downfield.”

Howard didn’t exactly fly under the radar against the Colts. He carried the ball 16 times for 118 yards, including a 57-yard bolt down to the Colts’ 18-yard line that set up the Bears for a game-tying touchdown in the second quarter.

Howard also caught three passes — all three of his targets — for 45 yards and a touchdown, running into the end zone untouched from 21 yards out for a go-ahead score, the first of his career.

“I was very excited, like ‘Where is everybody at?’ ” Howard said of his touchdown, adding that he is “definitely not surprised” by logging a pair of 100-plus-yard rushing games in his first two career starts.

“I felt very comfortable out there,” Howard said. “The O-line did a good job; tight ends, receivers, so they made my job easy for me. I didn’t really have to do all too much work.”

Howard seems to be fitting right in with the Bears' zone-running scheme, one he is familiar with from his time at Indiana. When he finds his hole, he becomes a tough man to bring down at a compact 222 pounds. He piled up 111 rushing yards against Detroit last week and had 92 yards from scrimmage in Week 2 at Dallas. For the season, Howard has rushed for 296 yards on 51 carries, an average of 5.8 yards per carry, and caught 12 passes for 122 yards.

“He’s a good, young player,” Bears coach John Fox said. “He is big and physical. He has good vision. He has a bright future.”

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

Carey got quite a few touches when I checked in last night.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah, I didn't watch much, but I saw Carey with a few good runs. Jordan had a decent run in the time I was watching and a few bad ones that were due to poor line play.