Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jmsgws

Jordan Howard - Miami Dolphins

Bears lose (again) to the Vikings 38-10 and finish the season 3-13.  Howard about the only bright spot for the Bears and runs for 135 yards on 23 carries.  No receiving yards as he wasn't targetted; he recovered 1 fumble.

For the season Howard rushed for 1,178 yards on 229 carries for a 5.1 yds./carry average; 6 rushing TD's.   He added another 298 yards on 29 receptions with 1 TD.  He had 2 fumbles on the season.

Heckuva rookie season for Howard and his future in the NFL looks very bright.

Tracy Porter with 2 solo tackles finishing the season with 43.  He forced 1 fumble; had 2 interceptions and 9 pass deflections. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Those were his numbers coming into today, I think. Counting today's game he ended up with 252 carries for 1,313 yards.

Hope you're right because that's even better.  I took my numbers from ESPN and the implication was that the numbers included today's game but ESPN isn't perfect.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hope you're right because that's even better.  I took my numbers from ESPN and the implication was that the numbers included today's game but ESPN isn't perfect.

I'm like ~90% sure that the football stats on ESPN don't update until either the day after a game or the day after all the games for the week are done. It's really confusing though, I always get annoyed when I go to look up a guy's stats and I can't tell if it's including the game that just happened or not.  With Howard I just added them up myself (not to prove you wrong, I wanted to see how close to Elliott he ended up getting). 

If my numbers for all of the guys who came into the week ahead of Howard are right, our guy's the #2 rusher in the league this season. 

I'm like ~90% sure that the football stats on ESPN don't update until either the day after a game or the day after all the games for the week are done. It's really confusing though, I always get annoyed when I go to look up a guy's stats and I can't tell if it's including the game that just happened or not.  With Howard I just added them up myself (not to prove you wrong, I wanted to see how close to Elliott he ended up getting). 

If my numbers for all of the guys who came into the week ahead of Howard are right, our guy's the #2 rusher in the league this season. 

He is and it's the first time since 1968 that rookies went 1 and 2 in rushing. This upcoming draft class is great too. The RB position is making a comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

NBC SPORTS
Jordan Howard named final offensive rookie of the month for 2016

Ezekiel Elliott of the Cowboys was the highest-profile rookie running back this season, but he wasn’t the only one to make a major impact.

Bears fifth-rounder Jordan Howard wound up with 1,313 rushing yards over the course of the season, which left him second in the league behind Elliott. It’s the first time that rookies have been the two leading rushers in the league.

Howard didn’t play in the season opener and was in a lesser role in the early weeks of the season, but he came on strong down the stretch to get up to the No. 2 spot in the league. Over the final five weeks of the season, Howard ran 103 times for 547 yards and four touchdowns and that made him the pick as the league’s final offensive rookie of the month for the 2016 season.

It also made him as bright a spot as there was in a 3-13 season for the Bears and should make him one of the pieces they’ll build around in Chicago as they try to improve on that record in 2017.

Bears running back Jordan Howard will cap his breakout rookie season by playing for the NFC squad in the Pro Bowl, the NFL announced Wednesday. Howard, who was voted a first alternate, will replace Cardinals running back David Johnson, who sustained a knee injury in Arizona’s season finale.

The Pro Bowl will be played on Sunday, Jan. 29 in Orlando, Fla., a week before Super Bowl LI.

Selected by the Bears in the fifth round of the draft out of Indiana, Howard set two Bears rookie rushing records with 1,313 yards and seven 100-yard games. He finished second in the NFL in rushing behind Cowboys rookie Ezekiel Elliott, who ran for 1,631 yards and on 322 carries.

Howard opened the season third on the depth chart and didn’t make his first start until Week 4 when both Jeremy Langford and Ka'Deem Carey were injured.

Howard is the fourth player in Bears history to rush for at least 1,300 yards in a season. Walter Payton achieved the feat nine times during his illustrious career from 1975-87, while Thomas Jones (1,335 in 2005) and Matt Forte (1,339 in 2013) each did it once.

Howard closed the season with a flourish, earning NFL offensive rookie of the month honors for December/January after rushing for 547 yards and four touchdowns on 103 carries in five games. During that span, he averaged 5.3 yards per attempt and had three 100-yard games.

Howard becomes the Bears’ lone representative in the Pro Bowl. In the process, he’s the franchise’s first rookie to be selected since guard Kyle Long in 2013 and the first Bears rookie running back since Hall of Famer Gale Sayers in 1965.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Jordan-Howard-added-to-Pro-Bowl/ffcd6d59-8e91-49c7-bbab-c9105d617524

ESPN:  Jordan Howard, Taylor Decker tie for NFC North rookie of the year

Chicago Bears running back Jordan Howard and Detroit Lions offensive tackle Taylor Decker tied for NFC North rookie of the year honors, as voted on by the four reporters covering the division for ESPN.com.

Jeff Dickerson, Chicago Bears reporter: I think it’s fair to say that for a fifth-round pick, Howard exceeded all expectations. He began the year third on the depth chart, but still rushed for 1,313 yards and six touchdowns. Howard is a physical runner who got stronger as the season wore on. He not only broke Matt Forte’s franchise rookie rushing record, he had seven games of 100 rushing yards or more. Howard will spend an entire offseason in the Bears’ voluntary workout program, and his second season could be even better.

Michael Rothstein, Detroit Lions reporter: Left tackle is one of the hardest positions to transition to as a rookie in the NFL. It’s not a glamour spot, and typically the only time someone gains recognition there is when he is having a bad season. And yet after the first few games of the year, Decker’s name was barely mentioned -- and that was a very good thing. He continually improved throughout the year and protected Matthew Stafford’s blind side well. He adjusted to switches at left guard next to him with ease and looks like he could be a solution on Detroit’s offensive line for the foreseeable future. Linemen rarely get noticed, but he had a really good season for Detroit.

Rob Demovsky, Green Bay Packers reporter: When it came to rookie running backs, all the hype was around Dallas’ Ezekiel Elliott, and rightly so, but the Packers likened Howard to their own running back, Eddie Lacy, for his size and power. Packers linebacker Clay Matthews called Howard “a big, powerful back who can break tackles, and I think once he puts his foot in the dirt, turns downhill, it’s tough for the smaller guys or even the linebackers that are on the same level. I don’t think he got a lot of hype coming in this year, and he’s definitely backing up his play.”

Ben Goessling, Minnesota Vikings reporter: There's a case to be made here for the Bears' Leonard Floyd, but given how much the Lions had struggled to protect Matthew Stafford in recent years -- and how much they improved in that area this year -- I'm going with Decker. He did a fine job as the Lions' left tackle, despite being thrown into a division in which he had to face the Vikings' legion of pass-rushers and the Packers' frequent blitz packages. If Decker can hold down that spot for the next seven to 10 years, the Lions will have a much better framework for Stafford's success.

Jordan Howard and Josh Bellamy Named Brian Piccolo Award Winners

One of the most prestigious Bears team awards was handed out to two winners Tuesday.

Wide receiver Josh Bellamy and running back Jordan Howard were honored as recipients of the 2016 Brian Piccolo Award, named in honor of the late Chicago running back.

The Brian Piccolo Award is given by the Bears to one rookie and one veteran who honor the loyalty, dedication, courage, teamwork and sense of humor that Piccolo displayed as a member of the Bears.

Piccolo joined the team in 1966 and was a teammate and friend of legendary Bears running back Gale Sayers.

During the 1969 NFL season, Piccolo was diagnosed with a form of testicular cancer. He died in 1970. The Bears began the Piccolo award after the 1970 NFL season in his memory.

Last season, Howard enjoyed one of the best rookie seasons for a Bears running back in franchise history, and Bellamy was honored after stepping into a starting receiver role after injuries and suspensions left the Bears thin at the position.

Howard is the first rookie running back to win the Piccolo Award since Matt Forte in 2008, while Bellamy is the first receiver to win the award since Johnny Knox in 2010.