Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

DD And Hanner gone

I am still trying to figure out why Tom Crean is    1) getting credit for kicking these guys off the team.   This is the 6th episode in 18 months.   At some point, doesn't this just have to happen and any sane human being would figure out that people have had enough?  and  2)  not being held accountable at all.   The guy doesn't win, his players are constantly in the news for the wrong reasons, and all we hear is talk, talk, talk.   "We're a family,"  "we have to be better," "we support the kids," blah, blah, blah.

What in the h*ll has Tom Crean done to earn the teflon suit and complete lack of any accountability??    

I agree. Crean's teams have no discipline on the court, and even less discipline off it. At some point, he has to be the one who gets reprimanded/suspended/excused, since it was his selection of recruits, his failed mentoring, his failed coaching and his suspect oversight.

And while Crean evicted DD and HMP from the premises, it's difficult to give credit to him for something that should be done anyway, regardless of who's coaching in Bloomington. Compounding matters, one gets the distinct feeling that this wasn't his call, or at most, only his call; and that speaks volumes to the greater issue here. What does it say about Crean if McRobbie or Glass have to lean on him in order to get anything done about a problem? 

I agree. Crean's teams have no discipline on the court, and even less discipline off it. At some point, he has to be the one who gets reprimanded/suspended/excused, since it was his selection of recruits, his failed mentoring, his failed coaching and his suspect oversight.
And while Crean evicted DD and HMP from the premises, it's difficult to give credit to him for something that should be done anyway, regardless of who's coaching in Bloomington. Compounding matters, one gets the distinct feeling that this wasn't his call, or at most, only his call; and that speaks volumes to the greater issue here. What does it say about Crean if McRobbie or Glass have to lean on him in order to get anything done about a problem?

Unless you have insider knowledge of the situation, this is just wildly speculative.

Everyone in charge of running the program gets credit for the failures in the past, and for laying down the law. Crean, Glass, and McRobbie all hold a position of power over the basketball program.

I'd rank us about the same, Perea isn't that big of a loss with Bryant here now.

The loss will affect our depth at the 5 position. Bryant was going to be "the guy", but Hanner was going to be there to spell him and provide backup. Now we have a thinness at the 5 again.

I like how many of you post that Crean is escaping accountability for anything within the program yet for the past year almost every thread on here and elsewhere has turned into a chance to bash Crean. Do a Twitter search for Tom Crean, read comments on any facebook post from the IU Basketball account, look at comments on any story about IU online, there's plenty of criticism of coach and people holding him accountable.

This is his make or break year and he's going to be held accountable. I'm glad he stayed because it allowed us to see what this core can do as veterans with a legit big man.

I like how many of you post that Crean is escaping accountability for anything within the program yet for the past year almost every thread on here and elsewhere has turned into a chance to bash Crean. Do a Twitter search for Tom Crean, read comments on any facebook post from the IU Basketball account, look at comments on any story about IU online, there's plenty of criticism of coach and people holding him accountable.

This is his make or break year and he's going to be held accountable. I'm glad he stayed because it allowed us to see what this core can do as veterans with a legit big man.

i think, as well as many others that next year is THE make it or break it year. Unless the wheels completely fall off this year, we will be pretty good, it's next year that is so unknown and is looking like another Crean "we're young" rebuild years that can't happen every 3 years

i think, as well as many others that next year is THE make it or break it year. Unless the wheels completely fall off this year, we will be pretty good, it's next year that is so unknown and is looking like another Crean "we're young" rebuild years that can't happen every 3 years

I say this year is make or break because the expectations are high from the get go.  If we flame out this year and end up as a 6 seed or worse and get bounced in the round of 32 or 16 I think the coaching change will be made.  

If we do really well, end up as a top 3 seed and go to the elite 8 Crean will still be around.  2016-17 we may be thin but we also may not.  A starting lineup of Rojo/JBJ/Hartman/Bryant/Rawles could be really dangerous.

Crean is absolutely escaping accountability.  You think Facebook posts hold him accountable?   He is failing as a leader, and internet comments show he's being held accountable?    This episode shows unequivocally that he hasn't gotten through to his players, and in my opinion, it's just more proof of something I've believed for 3-4 years.   Among the people who matter, who's holding him accountable?    He still has to win consistently...this one season will show very little.

Unless you have insider knowledge of the situation, this is just wildly speculative.

Everyone in charge of running the program gets credit for the failures in the past, and for laying down the law. Crean, Glass, and McRobbie all hold a position of power over the basketball program.

To an extent, everything on here is speculative. Wildly? I don't think so. Seven years of watching his teams play, gives sufficient evidence to their lack of discipline. The last eighteen months to two years of police blotter material, speaks sufficiently to Crean's lack of institutional control over his charges, and their own lack of self-discipline. So it can hardly be called "wildly speculative" to question the true source of such an action as dismissing two promising players from the team, when to date, Crean has shown little stomach for such things.

And when/if they crash and burn next season, it'll be the loss of DD and HMP who'll be used as an excuse to "wait another year" or "give Crean another chance" tripe that we readily hear. 

Crean is absolutely escaping accountability.  You think Facebook posts hold him accountable?   He is failing as a leader, and internet comments show he's being held accountable?    This episode shows unequivocally that he hasn't gotten through to his players, and in my opinion, it's just more proof of something I've believed for 3-4 years.   Among the people who matter, who's holding him accountable?    He still has to win consistently...this one season will show very little.

If you wanted him fired two years ago then you would say he is escaping accountability.  I would argue that pressure put on by fans across the board online and in person at games is holding him accountable.  He's had beat writers call for his head.  The University ultimately hasn't made the move but I think with the team we have coming back next year and the universe of coaches available this year, keeping Crean for a year was the right move.  Look at it this way, we save $4 million by not paying him and a new coach this year.  That money can be saved and used to make sure we get the right guy next time and not just a new guy.

And when/if they crash and burn next season, it'll be the loss of DD and HMP who'll be used as an excuse to "wait another year" or "give Crean another chance" tripe that we readily hear. 

I don't think many, if any, people will use that excuse.  Losing those two hurts our depth but not the ceiling of this team.  Our biggest wins last year came without those two in the lineup.  I haven't talked to an IU fan who thinks Crean will deserve another year next year if we don't make it past the sweet 16.  

We should definitely give him a call.

Just read about him since he goes to school about 30 mins from where I am.  Tony Bradley does too in the other direction, but they have a ton of offers, don't they?  With Billy D. gone from Florida, should be easier to get some of these guys.  Hope so.

I just wish something positive would pop up on BR on my phone for a change!  It's like I'm afraid to look these days.  On cloud 9 when Bryant was signed.  Other than that, it's depressing.  Still love my Hoosiers!

To be honest, his mother who people are concerned about is probably happy to see that her son is going to be in a better program for it and have a little more peace of mind.