Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

GloryDays

New option for 1 and dones?

I didn't read everything here but my 2 cents is that if many of the top Mcdonald All-Americans go to this league, then the next best will still end up at the top recruiting schools like UK and so On, leaving less good talent for the rest of colleges to pick from.

I think they go back for another year with the dealers. The article said they will pay a lower rate for current college players and for free agents. So it's not just a team that you have one shot at. They can make $1 million plus over 2 seasons. If they don't make it to the league, they can go to college as a millionaire already. If they want to continue to play Europe and Asia would be options.

In that case the only downside is not getting a college education. I could see this catching on.

I think this is great.  There needs to be another option for kids except college or overseas.  Some kids aren't made out for college.  Forcing them there isn't always a good idea. 

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

I think this is great.  There needs to be another option for kids except college or overseas.  Some kids aren't made out for college.  Forcing them there isn't always a good idea. 

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

There is another option: the NBA D league doesn't have an age limit. They pay isn't all that great, but players have to learn that they have to earn the big contracts.

There is another option: the NBA D league doesn't have an age limit. They pay isn't all that great, but players have to learn that they have to earn the big contracts.

Ok.  Another option isn't a bad idea though.  Why limit options?

Let's see where this one goes.

Ok.  Another option isn't a bad idea though.  Why limit options?

Let's see where this one goes.

I didn't say anything about about limiting options…..

Im just saying that everyone seems to forget that the D league is right there. 
Im also interested to see where this goes

I didn't say anything about about limiting options…..
Im just saying that everyone seems to forget that the D league is right there. 
Im also interested to see where this goes

Don't D league players make like 35,000 and travel by bus to crap cities. Yeah no burger boy is choosing that over this or college

Don't D league players make like 35,000 and travel by bus to crap cities. Yeah no burger boy is choosing that over this or college

And none are choosing to go overseas and make good money either. No one is being "forced" to go to college. 

i didnt know a high school to d-league immediate jump was possible.  after a little research, it is true.  the d-league's minimum age is 18 and its contracts are signed and paid through the league, no specific team.  latavious williams was the first high school payer to skip college and sign a d-league contract in 2009.  after a season there and turning 19, he was drafted by miami in 2010.  cant find how many have done it since.

the pay is pitiful and unreasonable.  three tier pay structure: top players earn 25,500, mid 19,000, low 13,000.  it's easy to see why a year of college is currently the more desirable route.  you could start earning some money and avoid 3.5 months of writing papers, doing homework, etc by going straight to the d-league, and you'd get just as much exposure, perhaps more, to nba scouts and front offices; however you'd miss out on high d1 college arenas and environments, college coaching, college parties with college babes, march madness, public exposure to build your personal brand right away, playing with and vs your peers, etc all on your university's dime.  the draft will be calling you either way.

having said that, it wouldnt be difficult to make the one year of d-league route the more desirable avenue.  a fair boost in pay and some national tv time would do the trick.  if the nba and its d-league worked together to form a pay structure of something like 40, 32, 25 and were able to broadcast just like 8 of the top teams' 50-game schedule on espn or tnt -- boom, one and done phenomenon neutered.

i didnt know a high school to d-league immediate jump was possible.  after a little research, it is true.  the d-league's minimum age is 18 and its contracts are signed and paid through the league, no specific team.  latavious williams was the first high school payer to skip college and sign a d-league contract in 2009.  after a season there and turning 19, he was drafted by miami in 2010.  cant find how many have done it since.

the pay is pitiful and unreasonable.  three tier pay structure: top players earn 25,500, mid 19,000, low 13,000.  it's easy to see why a year of college is currently the more desirable route.  you could start earning some money and avoid 3.5 months of writing papers, doing homework, etc by going straight to the d-league, and you'd get just as much exposure, perhaps more, to nba scouts and front offices; however you'd miss out on high d1 college arenas and environments, college coaching, college parties with college babes, march madness, public exposure to build your personal brand right away, playing with and vs your peers, etc all on your university's dime.  the draft will be calling you either way.

having said that, it wouldnt be difficult to make the one year of d-league route the more desirable avenue.  a fair boost in pay and some national tv time would do the trick.  if the nba and its d-league worked together to form a pay structure of something like 40, 32, 25 and were able to broadcast just like 8 of the top teams' 50-game schedule on espn or tnt -- boom, one and done phenomenon neutered.

Several of the owners in the NBA want to boost NBA D league pay and whatnot. The NBA D league is broadcasted live to Youtube and is on NBA TV for all to see. I feel that in the next few years all this stuff will just continue to pick up speed. I would really like to see the NBA and the NCAA come together and work something out to help both sides

I didn't read every single post on here so sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but $700k for the top 5-10 McD's AA wouldn't be all they make. It is nothing for Nike or Adidas to give the top 20-30 NBA draft picks a $500k - $1M contract right after the draft. I would assume the top players in this league would be no different.

They tried to throw big money at 2015 recruits (including Isaiah Briscoe, now at Kentucky) and were turned down. The Dealers first "big signings"? Former Pacer David Harrison and Royce White....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13629240/semi-pro-las-vegas-dealers-agree-deal-david-harrison-targets-royce-white

No please, the NBA is just barely crawling out of the era ruined but unprepared high school kids. AAU ball has ruined most kids enough. Kids need college ball to develop.

For 1 year with the great Calipari?

This rule has to be changed if we ever want to see collegiate basketball as it should be.

Let them go or make them play 3 years.

No please, the NBA is just barely crawling out of the era ruined but unprepared high school kids. AAU ball has ruined most kids enough. Kids need college ball to develop.

Rather have them go develop in the NBA then be used by whatever side-show this Vegas team is going to become.

This rule has to be changed if we ever want to see collegiate basketball as it should be.

I feel they should stay two years minimum if they stay to go to college. Either way, somethings going to be impacted both ways.

I'm interested in college ball, so I say let them ruin the NBA. Tired of seeing what all these prima donnas are doing to the college game.

I'm on board with this.  Go pro out of high school or stay 3 years.

College ball isn't, and shouldn't be, just a farm system for the NBA.