Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierPT

I want Tom Crean to stay

That was not our only B1G title in 20 years, Mike Davis has a B1G title to his name. I know you meant outright, but shared and outright count exactly the same at the end of the day.

they may count the same to fans but to players and to coaches I'm sure it means more to win it outright compared to sharing it with 5 other teams

That was not our only B1G title in 20 years, Mike Davis has a B1G title to his name. I know you meant outright, but shared and outright count exactly the same at the end of the day.

Not really. Sort of surprised to hear that from you. A tie is a tie. Winning is always better.

That was not our only B1G title in 20 years, Mike Davis has a B1G title to his name.  I know you meant outright, but shared and outright count exactly the same at the end of the day.

Fair. My point is why do we want to throw away a team with potential to be very good next year and beyond? Crean has proven he can win.

Sure Devin could never come back and Hanner could miss another month of games with an injury. Or maybe we finally have two senior leaders and juniors behind them in Troy, Collin and Devin ready to carry the torch. With a core of of 4 and 5 stars in JBJ, RJ, and Holt plus Bryant, OG, and Morgan. With a stud PG on the horizon. A balanced roster with leadership and continuity. Novel concept I know. Anything is possible.

Their "junk" zone worked darned well vs. IU.

Cream has only had two sweet sixteen appearances at IU, and you got them mixed up? Think of how confusing it would be if he were actually meeting expectations.

It's Crean man. And who is your pick to replace him?? 

So in 8 years he would have 2 teams that were good enough to contend for the Big Ten. I'll throw out the first two years and let's say 6 years only 2 contenders for the B1G. Again Marshall has had just as much national success, actually more recently than Crean. Difference is Crean needs exceptional talent to be good, Marshall not really

Big South/MVC vs BIG. Apples and oranges. IF we are splitting hairs, Crean has 3 sweet sixteens, Marshall has 2. 

I just think in this discussion saying that we get Stevens in 2011 is unfair because we have no idea and ta the past.

As far as your second question yes if Crean can put next years team in the final four he deserves 2 more years. It may pain some of you but at that point he'd have been in your tourney 5 of past 6 years with 2 sweet sixteens and a final four. Then he may be bringing in Alkins and some more recruits. So yes with a final 4 next year I still think he can build quality teams here

What if it's not a quality recruiting class? I'm with you if he has a quality class. It shows consistancy can be achieved. He is clearly on the hot seat and recruiting for the following year will be difficult bc of it. He will have to replace the core with a new core. Which means it has to be a good class. Not one that will take 3 years to develop, some of the guys have to hit the ground running and contribute right away.

Fair. My point is why do we want to throw away a team with potential to be very good next year and beyond? Crean has proven he can win.

Sure Devin could never come back and Hanner could miss another month of games with an injury. Or maybe we finally have two senior leaders and juniors behind them in Troy, Collin and Devin ready to carry the torch. With a core of of 4 and 5 stars in JBJ, RJ, and Holt plus Bryant, OG, and Morgan. With a stud PG on the horizon. A balanced roster with leadership and continuity. Novel concept I know. Anything is possible.

He's shown he can have the occasional year or two and then fall off a cliff.  He has never, in 16 years, shown he can win consistently and build on those one or two years.  At best he hasn't shown that ability, at worst he's proven he can't.

That is part of why people want him gone, not building on success and winning consistently.

These slow news days are tough. Lots of speculation. I expect to hear some news one way or another over the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to finding out so i can get my mind around it.

I fully expect IU to challenge for the BIG title, get a double bye in the BIG Tourney, and earn a top 2-3 NCAA seed. Should be ranked in top 10.

Or we fire Crean and start over.

For one Hanner still isn't actually very good. Dude hasn't shown much development from his freshman year. Doesn't really do much offensively besides jump, fundamentally he sucks defensively. He still has a long ways to go. Holt, and OG aren't four or five star recruits. Holt isn't ranked in scout or ESPN and is a 3 star on rivals. OG is a 3 star on all three. I actually think we land TB. But it is funny you're already counting him in a pro-Crean argument.

He's shown he can have the occasional year or two and then fall off a cliff.  He has never, in 16 years, shown he can win consistently and build on those one or two years.  At best he hasn't shown that ability, at worst he's proven he can't.

That is part of why people want him gone, not building on success and winning consistently.

Yes, after each of his successes he has has lost guys as NBA lottery picks. But people decry the oversign. Crean is in a lose-lose situation with this fanbase. 

Big South/MVC vs BIG. Apples and oranges. IF we are splitting hairs, Crean has 3 sweet sixteens, Marshall has 2.

Yeah and if Marshall was recruiting at Marquette and IU he would have had much better resources. You guys act like he isn't going to have the same resources Crean currently does. We've seen Crean be all over the place with plus resources recruiting and facility wise.

For one Hanner still isn't actually very good. Dude has shown much development from his freshman year. Doesn't really do much offensively besides jump, fundamentally he sucks defensively. He still has a long ways to go. Holt, and OG aren't four or five star recruits. Holt isn't ranked in scout or ESPN and is a 3 star on rivals. OG is a 3 star on all three. I actually think we land TB. But it is funny you're already counting him in a pro-Crean argument.

Bryant is a Crean recruit and heavy IU lean. If we're projecting he has to at least be in the equation. Be honest, we do not even get visits from Maker or Bryant with Marshall or Archie. They'd pee themselves if they met a 5-star recruit.

Yes, after each of his successes he has has lost guys as NBA lottery picks. But people decry the oversign. Crean is in a lose-lose situation with this fanbase. 

I'm tired of the excuses.  "We're young", "we lost guys", "we had injuries" blah blah blah.  Every coach has to deal with those same things, they're excuses for Crean though.  His job is to win regardless, even if it means having to make adjustments to his system (something else he hasn't shown he can do BTW), it's why he's paid over 3 million a year.

And don't get me started on the stupid friggin oversign.

Yeah and if Marshall was recruiting at Marquette and IU he would have had much better resources. You guys act like he isn't going to have the same resources Crean currently does. We've seen Crean be all over the place with plus resources recruiting and facility wise.

You're assuming Marshall can translate. Crean has shown he recruits Burger Boys. Marshall maybe can. 

Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan. I would say Marshall but I believe that ship has now sailed with Texas open. As for Stevens and Donovan its all about timing.

If timing =money. Like $4 million+ for 6 years. Not happening. We've got to deal in reality.

You're assuming Marshall can translate. Crean has shown he recruits Burger Boys. Marshall maybe can.

And he has proven that he can produce more lottery picks than NCAA wins over the last 3 years. Good thing we have multiple burger boys the last 3 years to get him over the hump.