Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierPT

I want Tom Crean to stay

Has proven he can underachieve with that team. Has proven that he cant sustain success. Has proven he can miss the tourney and even the NIT. Has proven that he can't do anything with McDonalds All Americans. Has proven that he cant make in game adjustments. Has proven that he can have players getting bullied and arrested on multiple occasions and not do anything about it. Do I want a guy that can check the boxes I just listed?

You want me to answer your questions, but you won't answer mine. I'm offended.

You want me to answer your questions, but you won't answer mine. I'm offended.

Because you're looking small time while I'm looking big picture. I'm not letting one season with a #1 ranking where we crapped the bed down the stretch overshadow his entire career as a mediocre coach.

Idk about deep tourney run. Only made it past the sweet sixteen 1 time and that was 12 years ago with a remarkable D Wade.

I was there in ATL. IU played good enough to beat KY, but ended us losing to a #1 seed. Kinda like ND last night.

What has Donovan or Stevens said or done to make you think they want to come to IU? Anything, public or private? It is pure speculation. Why would they want to quit their current jobs and walk in here to work under the scrutiny of this fan base? The money in Boston and FL is just as green and the life is much less stressful.

You can Crean now and you are going to get a Gregg Marshall or Archie Miller or [font='proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Larry Krystkowiak[/size][/font]. No thanks.

Boston's fan base is just as hard, if not harder than our fan base. The majority are extremely delusional about the current state of the franchise

Because you're looking small time while I'm looking big picture. I'm not letting one season with a #1 ranking where we crapped the bed down the stretch overshadow his entire career as a mediocre coach.

So who is your pick to replace Crean? You've set a pretty high standard so this better be a good one...

Boston's fan base is just as hard, if not harder than our fan base. The majority are extremely delusional about the current state of the franchise

But the NBA is powder puff compared to college coaching. Don't get ne wrong, his neck is on the line because he is cheaper than the players, but $22 million spends well over 6 years. Without the recruiting and booster grind it is a no brainer.

But the NBA is powder puff compared to college coaching.

Sure whatever floats your narrative boat. There are quite a few NBA coaches who would wipe the floor with any college coach not named Coach K, Izzo, Ryan, Self, or Donovan

I really think the OP has some very valid points, but I see many here trying to discredit his fandom or knowledge because his opinion directly contradicts their own.

I think both parties are right. OP is correct; Crean has shown that he can do a lot of things right. You don't put together that DWade team and the Zeller/Oladipo/Hulls/Watford/Ferrell team if you can't recruit and manage rosters. You don't get your players to produce perfect APR scores the past 5 years and send 4 players to the lottery if you cannot convince your players to work hard. You don't go to the Final Four , two Sweet Sixteens, and win the B1G outright, in one of its most competitive years of late, if you aren't a capable coach. You also don't get to Indiana without proving that you give us a chance to win it all.

Unfortunately, Crean has not found the right balance between recruiting studs and four year roster players here. Crean has not managed off the court issues as well as we expect. He also has not taken us to a Final Four or got us close enough to a championship to appease the fans.

There are plenty of good reasons to want Crean back, and their are plenty of good reasons to say it's time to move on. Luckily, none of us have to make that decision. It will be made for us. This is the part that scares me the most. I do not trust the administration, the board, and McRobbie to do the right thing for the program.

it would seem the administration has been looking small time for the last 20 years since regardless of who has coached at Iu we have been mediocre. Hopefully someone besides people posting on a message will look at the bigger picture soon because 20 more years of the same results is not going to be pretty.

Stevens, Donavon, Miller. In that order. It wouldn't take much to improve on Crean though.

So, let's assume that Stevens and Donovan are not leaving their cushy environs and $3.7 annual salaries to come rescue IU. You would settle for Archie Miller who only has 2 years of HC experience and has a .591 record in the Atlantic 10. Why?

Sure whatever floats your narrative boat. There are quite a few NBA coaches who would wipe the floor with any college coach not named Coach K, Izzo, Ryan, Self, or Donovan

You deleted half my post but still made my point. Why would any of those NBA guys come to the NCAA if they can wipe the floor with them as you say? Stevens included. 

So, let's assume that Stevens and Donovan are not leaving their cushy environs and $3.7 annual salaries to come rescue IU. You would settle for Archie Miller who only has 2 years of HC experience and has a .591 record in the Atlantic 10. Why?

In a heartbeat. Look at his team this year for instance. He kicked scholarship kids off the team for breaking rules and still made the tourney. Not to mention he's a heck of a lot better in game coach than crean ever has or ever will be. He's also what 36 yrs old. I'll take a guy like that over crean any day. Seems like a lot of people agree since he's getting mentioned for a lot of open coaching jobs.

In a heartbeart. Look at his team this year for instance. He kicked scholarship kids off the team for breaking rules and still made the tourney. Not to mention he's a heck of a lot better in game coach than crean ever has or ever will be. He's also what 36 yes old. I'll take a guy like that over crean any day. Seems like a lot of people agree since he's getting mentioned for a lot of open coaching jobs.

"Because you're looking small time while I'm looking big picture. I'm not letting one season with a #1 ranking where we crapped the bed down the stretch overshadow his entire career as a mediocre coach."

I thought you didn't look at just one season? Where is the big picture with a guy who has only been HC for 137 games, ever??

I think your distain for Crean blinds you some. Don't let Archie Miller be your rebound coach...

"Because you're looking small time while I'm looking big picture. I'm not letting one season with a #1 ranking where we crapped the bed down the stretch overshadow his entire career as a mediocre coach."

I thought you didn't look at just one season? Where is the big picture with a guy who has only been HC for 137 games, ever??

I think your distain for Crean blinds you some. Don't let Archie Miller be your rebound coach...

If you read what I said the one season had to do with his discipline. I also pointed out his in game coaching which you chose to ignore to try to validate what you're saying.

I don't have anything against Crean as a person but facts are facts. He's not a good coach. I think your love for Crean blinds you. Don't pass up on better options because of him.

If you read what I said the one season had to do with his discipline. I also pointed out his in game coaching which you chose to ignore to try to validate what you're saying.

I don't have anything against Crean as a person but facts are facts. He's not a good coach. I think your love for Crean blinds you. Don't pass up on better options because of him.

Sometimes you get what you deserve I guess. Can you imagine having to train a guy like Archie Miller on the job in the Big Ten?