Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

B/R: The Legend of Damon Bailey

Awesome to see that, though it almost requires an hour long documentary or 30-for-30 to really do his story justice.

Would love to see IU developing guys like Damon, Fife, Michael Lewis, Greg Graham, etc. as coaches, instead of them doing it elsewhere.

Interesting piece on Damon Bailey, by Bleacher Report. Calling him the original "super recruit".

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2404764-the-legend-of-damon-bailey-the-high-schooler-41000-came-to-see?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national?is_shared=true

Awesome to see that, though it almost requires an hour long documentary or 30-for-30 to really do his story justice.

Would love to see IU developing guys like Damon, Fife, Michael Lewis, Greg Graham, etc. as coaches, instead of them doing it elsewhere.

Damon was interviewed for the IUWBB head coaching job but said he wasn't interested. He coaches his daughter at Butler. Fife was offered a job by Crean several years ago but turned it down. Greg Graham is a high school coach...

Damon was interviewed for the IUWBB head coaching job but said he wasn't interested. He coaches his daughter at Butler. Fife was offered a job by Crean several years ago but turned it down. Greg Graham is a high school coach...

Graham just recently resigned his high school coaching position.  He was quoted as saying his wife and children had been living out east for the past year where she had taken a job and it was simply not a good family situation with him remaining in Indpls.

Bnkepner, interesting info. Knight's players still seem to want to avoid IU like the plague. Our loss.

About Damon: He's the nicest IU player I've ever met and I've met quite a few over the past 50+ years.

I've met Damon once, and he did seem like a nice guy.  I remember him just standing around having a conversation with my dad talking about what he'd been up to since his playing days and what some of his teammates had been doing.

My childhood idol. I remember watching BNL on tv in the state championship. Still one of my prized possessions is an autographed picture. His career at IU probably wasn't what people thought it would be but he was a really strong player at IU. On my short list of favorite players ever.

I believe Damonsaid something along the lines of, "some of these guys say they were upset at times but I'm not gonna lie, I was flat out pissed off at times!"during his graduation speech if I recall correctly, did he not? He was really fun to watch play. Ohio State his freshman year I believe? Went off! Tough in the head kid...in a good way!

I was in 6th grade during his senior year. I played for our towns travel team and our high school was playing BNL. We had a high-major D1 kid too, so the game had to be held at Butler.

Our travel team coach arranged for our 6th grade team to practice at Hinkle before the game. He then had Bailey come by to take a team picture with us after practice. When Damon got there he stopped our coach and said "how about I take a picture with each kid, send me the pictures with their names and I'll sign them and mail them back".

I still have that picture in my basement. I blows my mind that a 17-18 year old kid, under that spotlight, was that mature and humble.

To add to the story, I got to ball boy for the game and Damon caught an alley-oop and reverse dunked it on the hoop I was sitting right under on the floor. Was awesome!

Great story.  I have a ball signed by both Damon and Calbert in my room, one of my most prized possessions along with a picture signed by Bob Knight that's hanging on my wall.

The guy had a stellar career at IU but you get the feeling some still think it was failure because the expectations for him were so high.

We woulda hung a banner in 93 without Hendersons injury. Simply amazing what Damon could do for a 6'3" kid.