Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Feathery

Thoughts on WSU Coach Gregg Marshall

I feel like almost EVERY program from a p5 conference with an opening will try to get Marshall. But the fact he hasn't made the jump yet suggests to me he's content to stay put. I am doubtful he would move to Bama. 

I'm also growing more doubtful Crean would move to Bama. In fact, I just flat out don't think it will happen.

Kansas was overrated, but I do want to see how his team performs here on out though. They have less talent than last year so let's see what he can make out of it.

Spot on when it comes to Kansas as completely overrated. They do not have the pieces in place of past teams. Zero front court talent that was patched together with some players that would normally ride the pine. I was not shocked to see them beat this Kansas team. As far a Marshall leaving right now I would say no. Maybe after his returning seniors graduate next year.

Spot on when it comes to Kansas as completely overrated. They do not have the pieces in place of past teams. Zero front court talent that was patched together with some players that would normally ride the pine. I was not shocked to see them beat this Kansas team. As far a Marshall leaving right now I would say no. Maybe after his returning seniors graduate next year.

I don't see how Kansas keeps getting away with using ineligible players? Kansas stayed in the top 25 all year long because of their name and were a 2 seed because of their name.

I don't see how Kansas keeps getting away with using ineligible players? Kansas stayed in the top 25 all year long because of their name and were a 2 seed because of their name.

Agreed.  2 seed this year because they padded their record in a crappy conference, loss in the second game.  2 seed the year before...loss in the second game.  1 seed the year before...loss in the sweet 16.  Definitely one of the most overrated programs ever.

^^ good post. Now break it down with some data analytics in regards to that overall analysis. Also, I really think that Marshall will stand by his seniors through graduation. Plus he will or should most likely have a another good year with WSU. He will be very picky on what program he will choose to coach. Alabama has zero shot.

^^ good post. Now break it down with some data analytics in regards to that overall analysis. Also, I really think that Marshall will stand by his seniors through graduation. Plus he will or should most likely have a another good year with WSU. He will be very picky on what program he will choose to coach. Alabama has zero shot.

What data would you like beyond what he posted? Typically if you agree or disagree you still don't tell someone to come back with more data. You would be the one to come back with more data to further his point or crush it...

Thanks for the comment mdn82. I wanted to agree with Josh and not try and disprove his post. Who cares about Kansas because this was about coach Marshall and if he would leave etc. I just thought he had more details to his general analysis.

Pat Forde retweeted

Cecil Hurt‏@CecilHurt·2 hrs2 hours ago
Alabama AD Bill Battle to meet with Gregg Marshall in Wichita today. via @sharethis

Marshall's going to get a big contract somewhere.I doubt it will be at Alabama though.

He could be putting the squeeze on the billionaire Koch brothers to pony up more cash,and I wouldn't blame him. He's as hot as he will ever be now.

4 or 5 mill more a year to those guys would be like me eating at the the Macaroni grill  once a year instead of another trip to White Castle.

Unless its for the prestige of coaching at a traditional powerhouse I doubt he leaves Wichita.

.Alabama doesn't qualify in that category.

Marshal is going to get a big contract somewhere.I doubt it will be at Alabama though.
He could be putting the squeeze on the billionaire Koch brothers to pony up more cash,andIi wouldn't blame him.
He's as hot as he will ever be now.
4 or 5 mill more a year to those guys would be like me eating at the the Macaroni grill once a year instead of another trip to White Castle.
Unless its for the prestige of coaching at a traditional powerhouse I doubt he leaves Wichita.
.Alabama doesn't qualify in that category.

I doubt he breaks 3 no matter where he goes. Not many coaches make beyond 3.

I think Alabama would be a great situation for Marshall with minimal pressure.

I respectfully disagree.

If they throw bank at him there will be pressure.If there wasn't they wouldn't be looking for a coach now.

If you look at total compensation there are several coaches making well over 3 mill a year including our own.

All reports Ive read have indicated that the tide will start at 3 mill and go from there.Hes making nearly 2 now.

Its only my opinion, but i just cant see him leaving a place hes loved and payed well to coach at a football school for more money.

Marshall could just be listening to Bama's offer. He could be using that info to help him gauge his marketability value. I read via the net maybe Texas has some interest. Marshall has to understand that Texas & Alabama are first and foremost football schools. Which makes me think he would not like to coach a program that makes him second fiddle. He could be trying to squeeze a few more bills out of WSU. I still think he will coach his seniors at WSU next year.

Marshall could just be listening to Bama's offer. He could be using that info to help him gauge his marketability value. I read via the net maybe Texas has some interest. Marshall has to understand that Texas & Alabama are first and foremost football schools. Which makes me think he would not like to coach a program that makes him second fiddle. He could be trying to squeeze a few more bills out of WSU. I still think he will coach his seniors at WSU next year.

Greg and WSU did the one thing that Texas has not been able to do. BEAT KANSAS!!! I am guessing he is going to Alabama to get a bid of somwhere around 8 yr 25 mil and then he is going to run over to Texas and they will say okay 9 yr 31 mil. His salary will almost double and that will be the reason he will not coach WSU seniors next year.

This is just my take on how I see things going. Feel free to bombard me and tell me how stupid I am in 2 weeks when none of this happens.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25128748/alabama-ad-bill-battle-to-meet-with-wichita-state-coach-gregg-marshall

1.  Seth Davis retweeted

Gregg Marshall's regular radio show has been cancelled for tonight, @knssradio announced. Read into that as you will

177 retweets71 favorites
     Retweet177
     Favorite71
    More

I respectfully disagree.
If they throw bank at him there will be pressure.If there wasn't they wouldn't be looking for a coach now.
If you look at total compensation there are several coaches making well over 3 mill a year including our own.
All reports Ive read have indicated that the tide will start at 3 mill and go from there.Hes making nearly 2 now.
Its only my opinion, but i just cant see him leaving a place hes loved and payed well to coach at a football school for more money.

He is at $1.75 million base. Not many coaches have a base of $3 million. If he gets close to double at Bama that would be shocking. It would be an overpay IMO for them. I would say good for him on that deal. I could see him getting to $2.5 million. All I have seen is the Tide saying they will break the bank for their next coach. If he makes more than the Izzo's of coaching at Bama then I say good for him.

I took a drive by on Shockernet.net and they are saying the show was not cancelled by Marshall. Something to the affect that it was never scheduled and was tentative based on the show topic of closing out the season. Still have to somewhat believe Marshall is taking time to meet and discuss his options etc.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25128748/alabama-ad-bill-battle-to-meet-with-wichita-state-coach-gregg-marshall

Yep to say he is holding out for a blue blood would be naive at this point. Hopefully he goes to a program willing to spend on upgrades to level the field for him. I think he would do great at Texas.

It might be interesting to see Marshall at Texas. Would he be comfortable kissing the BIG donors rings? That might be something he could struggle with. Marshall is a guy that wants to create and or be the main topic. He's got that 3 fold at WSU because they do not have a football program. All Texas fans and especially mega donors all want to call the shots. Let's all see how this plays out. Could get interesting.

im hoping you just worded that poorly because if that really is his thought then I'm not sure I would want a coach that would want something handed to him on a silver platter. I would thank that coaches would take great pride in building a program up

That's why everyone but Crean turned us down in '08. Crean even had a team poised to be top 10ish at Maquette, and he still had the guts to come here.

I want the new coach to have equal guts but better chops.