Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Back on topic and avoiding "stalk talk," Assembly Hall is unique and gives a home-court advantage which is no longer possible.  The narrow, steep stairways and corresponding seating arena which goes more "up" than "out" is against all modern fire and building codes.   IU was actually offered more money than they accepted from the Simons which was intended specifically for a new building, however they said no thank you because the admin (in one of their GOOD decisions) wanted to keep the inherit home court advantage at Assembly Hall.  The crowd there is on top of the court unlike any new arena (see "Banker's Life Fieldhouse," "The Kohl Center," etc.  Those buildings are wider and seats go "out."   The higher the seat, the further the spectators are from the floor and that means deeper shooting lines on top of less noise, etc.   The only benefit of a new building would be the modern conveniences they offer...nothing in the way of basketball.  Cook Hall gives IU everything it needs in terms of "new."

Not only is the Kansas court incredibly ugly, but they only have 3 title banners in the rafters lol.  They also have nothing to compare to Cook Hall.  Kansas...meh.

Back on topic and avoiding "stalk talk," Assembly Hall is unique and gives a home-court advantage which is no longer possible.  The narrow, steep stairways and corresponding seating arena which goes more "up" than "out" is against all modern fire and building codes.   IU was actually offered more money than they accepted from the Simons which was intended specifically for a new building, however they said no thank you because the admin (in one of their GOOD decisions) wanted to keep the inherit home court advantage at Assembly Hall.  The crowd there is on top of the court unlike any new arena (see "Banker's Life Fieldhouse," "The Kohl Center," etc.  Those buildings are wider and seats go "out."   The higher the seat, the further the spectators are from the floor and that means deeper shooting lines on top of less noise, etc.   The only benefit of a new building would be the modern conveniences they offer...nothing in the way of basketball.  Cook Hall gives IU everything it needs in terms of "new."

IF( I'd be surprised if this actually happened) IU turned down money from the Simons to build a new arena that would be a huge boneheaded move.

IF( I'd be surprised if this actually happened) IU turned down money from the Simons to build a new arena that would be a huge boneheaded move.

I don't think it was from the Simons. But wasn't there already an accepted plan to tear it down and build a new one, except there was so much backlash that they scrapped that plan?

Playing devils advocate, wouldn't it be beneficial from a fan and monetary perspective to get a new, bigger and modern venue so that the viewing is better? 

Shouldn't our team be good enough that they can win at home without the added sound from the stands? 

That's an interesting question, I don't know the answer.  Why would you think so?

I don't think it was from the Simons. But wasn't there already an accepted plan to tear it down and build a new one, except there was so much backlash that they scrapped that plan?

Yes, I believe so around 2007 ish. I think it was scrapped when the economy collapsed. 

That's an interesting question, I don't know the answer.  Why would you think so?

I feel like a huge benefit of being at home is the familiarity of your home court, generally not being boo'd because its mostly your fans, getting pumped up to play in front of friends/peers, etc. Basically, I feel like the piped in noise that may disrupt players ability to hear, while definitely beneficial, is not worth it when: 

1) We are basically the only one who has it, and we aren't winning as much as we should be, so does it really make that big a difference? 

2) As a student with season tickets, only about half (maybe being generous) of the tickets I am given are a better seat than my couch. I go because I like the atmosphere, but as a fan, being able to see the game would be a huge benefit. 

3) Attendance has been dwindling (by IU's standard). Maybe because people don't want to pay, to get a worse view, to watch the team lose and figure they can do it from home. A nice new stadium would improve game day experience. 

However, as a huge basketball fan I would be lying if I said when I walked into Assembly Hall the first time as a student, or for the first game as a fan, I didn't get the chills. It really is one of the meccas of college basketball. 

I'm undecided on the issue, but I see the benefit of both. 

Piped in noise?  I'm not sure what that is.  TBH, it's been about 6 years since I've been to an IU game.  That's not because the viewing isn't great, it's because I'm 1000 miles away.  If I could have season tickets to go to Assembly Hall I would regardless of my couch and tv.

I'm one of those old timers that loves Assembly Hall and doesn't want it to ever go away.  If they bring the wrecking balls, I'm going to duct tape myself to the banners.  The mystique man, the mystique.