Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Kyleweberiu

Stan and Troy

This surprises me. I figured JBJ and RoJo would be right there with Collin.

He might or might not be talking about those two?  I think he is referring to specific people and not the group as a whole even though it could be a majority if its enough individuals.  I could be wrong but that is how I interpreted it.

He might or might not be talking about those two? I think he is referring to specific people and not the group as a whole even though it could be a majority if its enough individuals. I could be wrong but that is how I interpreted it.

Yeah, let me be the first to guess its Max...

This thread is just depressing and sad. It used to be fun to watch our games and root for our players. There was pride in being an IU basketball fan. I don't feel that way much any more. I hope there are better days ahead soon for our program.

That's all I've got to say.

I'm gonna go ahead and start the fire...

Crean cost us this game...

You think so? Have to disagree here. Crean isn't responsible for boxing out.

Is Crean responsible for taking all of our scorers off the floor at the same time? I mean, come on. That first quick run by Vile? That line-up was baffling. Utterly baffling. Who did he think was going to score? The substitution patterns have always been weird and frustrating, and that was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Neither seem to fit the flow of our offense. Troy does, when he plays smart, but he doesn't do that often. I loved seeing him wandering the baseline and being a quick dish option on drives by our guards, but he's set on being the hero.

I think you're absolutely right. Both of their styles of play and skillsets don't plug into the play on the court. It seems like they were recruited to play on a different team and can't be plugged in in the way that we need. It hurts them and it hurts us because they aren't being utilized properly and we aren't as good as we could be.

What game were you watching? Press didn't cause us problems? Crimson colored koolaid drinking at its best. Their press killed us and combined with the 7 slams by Mr. Thug and getting killed on the boards was the difference. That's where coaching comes into play. Basic inbounds passing, beating presses, and blocking out has never been coached up in year 7. UL and Pitino exploited the obvious, and Crean knew it was coming andcouldnt do a thing about it. Funny seeing JB ask for direction in one screen shot and poor coach is just clueless in games.

I don't understand how there are still entire styles of defense that leave us totally helpless. It doesn't make any sense why we aren't coaching the kids what to do when facing a particular opponent. Especially because it's never like it's a surprise what they're playing. Syracuse used a zone? Stop the presses! Vile is using a press? No way! You could arrange five chairs in a 2-3 zone and we couldn't break it.

Is Crean responsible for taking all of our scorers off the floor at the same time? I mean, come on. That first quick run by Vile? That line-up was baffling. Utterly baffling. Who did he think was going to score? The substitution patterns have always been weird and frustrating, and that was one of the worst I've ever seen.

I don't think Crean coached a flawless game by any means. And that substitution was mind-bogglingly awful, but that alone didn't cost us the game. We never rebounded, we turned the ball over, and shots stopped falling. That's as much of the reason we lost as any decisions Crean made.

I don't think Crean coached a flawless game by any means. And that substitution was mind-bogglingly awful, but that alone didn't cost us the game. We never rebounded, we turned the ball over, and shots stopped falling. That's as much of the reason we lost as any decisions Crean made.

It also wasn't the only poor substitution. And those points add up quickly, both what we aren't scoring when our scorers are out of the game and what they're scoring against us. It doesn't help with momentum either.

It's not as if the fact that we don't have a true Center doesn't fall on his shoulders either. But, you're right, he can't control whether people are rebounding or not and 15 points were second chances. At some point we have to think that since every single team he's coached has had very high turnovers that maybe he plays a role? 19 TOs with 19 points off of them. 

I certainly don't think that it's all Crean's fault, but I think a significant portion of our problems this game come down to coaching and recruiting.

It also wasn't the only poor substitution. And those points add up quickly, both what we aren't scoring when our scorers are out of the game and what they're scoring against us. It doesn't help with momentum either.

It's not as if the fact that we don't have a true Center doesn't fall on his shoulders either. But, you're right, he can't control whether people are rebounding or not and 15 points were second chances. At some point we have to think that since every single team he's coached has had very high turnovers that maybe he plays a role? 19 TOs with 19 points off of them.

I certainly don't think that it's all Crean's fault, but I think a significant portion of our problems this game come down to coaching and recruiting.

How would we have faired if Devin was playing? I'd like to think we would have another guy that at least has a shot at banging inside with a Harrell. Sure, that could come back on Crean too I guess, but it's just another factor into what could've been in that game. We keep up the shooting, we're right there at the end. We rebound 5 more of their misses, we're right there. If someone doesn't make Luke leave, we have a servicable big man over 6'8. My point is, we can make literally anything come back on Crean, but the fact is that it was a manageable 5 point game at halftime before we stopped hitting shots even with the awful rebounding effort. This discussion could go on forever because anyone can rebuttle with "Crean could've made this decision or that decision".

My final thought. EVERYONE could've done things better last night. From Crean all the way down to April. I know that since Crean is in charge, it will always come back to him and that's fair considering his title, but saying it is solely on him (you didn't) seems irrational.

How would we have faired if Devin was playing? I'd like to think we would have another guy that at least has a shot at banging inside with a Harrell. Sure, that could come back on Crean too I guess, but it's just another factor into what could've been in that game. We keep up the shooting, we're right there at the end. We rebound 5 more of their misses, we're right there. If someone doesn't make Luke leave, we have a servicable big man over 6'8. My point is, we can make literally anything come back on Crean, but the fact is that it was a manageable 5 point game at halftime before we stopped hitting shots even with the awful rebounding effort. This discussion could go on forever because anyone can rebuttle with "Crean could've made this decision or that decision".

My final thought. EVERYONE could've done things better last night. From Crean all the way down to April. I know that since Crean is in charge, it will always come back to him and that's fair considering his title, but saying it is solely on him (you didn't) seems irrational.

We would have lost with Devin. Maybe a little less badly. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but he's not a substitute for a true Center. We rebound 5 more we only cost them 3ish points.

And our shots stopped falling because we couldn't figure out how to break the press and were exhausted. All the shots in the last quarter had no legs. I hate watching this team and seeing how little basketball strategy they seem to be able to employ. What did they do to get ready for this game if they didn't learn that?

A lot comes down to the team's age and the fact that especially JBJ is relied on like he's a junior but still makes freshmen mistakes. A version of this team where everyone is advanced once year would have wiped the floor with Vile.

Also, go to bed. It's the middle of the night and you have finals soon. Jeez.

We would have lost with Devin. Maybe a little less badly. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but he's not a substitute for a true Center. We rebound 5 more we only cost them 3ish points.

And our shots stopped falling because we couldn't figure out how to break the press and were exhausted. All the shots in the last quarter had no legs. I hate watching this team and seeing how little basketball strategy they seem to be able to employ. What did they do to get ready for this game if they didn't learn that?

A lot comes down to the team's age and the fact that especially JBJ is relied on like he's a junior but still makes freshmen mistakes. A version of this team where everyone is advanced once year would have wiped the floor with Vile.

Also, go to bed. It's the middle of the night and you have finals soon. Jeez.

I pretty much agree with all of your points here. Especially the second to last paragraph about us being a year older. I don't see anyone of worth leaving and that should be pretty scary next season. Maybe even late this season if we break the Crean mold and peak later rather than sooner. I was just throwing out a list of scenarios that keep us closer in the game.

And "dead" week is VERY much alive right now. By alive I mean more stressful than finals week. I'll sleep over break.

I felt bad for her. I'm not a parent but I know I will want to back my kids and believe what they tell me but all signs pointed to him smoking pot, intentionally and a lot. Too many students, sources and failed drug tests to think anything other than him being a pot smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I've tried my best to stay quiet on the whole pot situation if one puff was mistakenly puffed it would be out of his system in a few days to fail a drug test for marijuana with as hard as our guys practice means you have to be a full time smoker THC is fat soluble so the more you sweat and filter your kidneys with water the less it will show

I have one thing to say .."we" and that means more than this topic and includes freshman this year are NOT smart.. We don't get plays ..we don't get IN, and we don't get general common sense actions that impact lives beyond daily living ...you can't invest in this ..and that begins with the person who leads this program.,,you can blame the AD or the coach..but it is s result of poor decision making

It probably goes without saying, but...great post.

The ultimate in good decision making from an AD and coach standpoint is reflected by the people that the AD and Coach choose to surround themselves with.

THAT is the ultimate recruiting decision: Which kids to concentrate on. The ones that have the proper combination of character and talent. 

PS: The Boston Celtics dropped to 7-13 last night; just bad enough to be extraordinarily frustrating, and just good enough to prevent them from getting an instant impact player in next year's draft.

This thread is just depressing and sad. It used to be fun to watch our games and root for our players. There was pride in being an IU basketball fan. I don't feel that way much any more. I hope there are better days ahead soon for our program.

That's all I've got to say.

Take pride in guys like Rob and Emmitt who are shining as Freshmen and seem proud to be here. A lot of the stories about guys on the team have me down as well. But there are bright spots and those two are easy to root for. 

I've tried my best to stay quiet on the whole pot situation if one puff was mistakenly puffed it would be out of his system in a few days to fail a drug test for marijuana with as hard as our guys practice means you have to be a full time smoker THC is fat soluble so the more you sweat and filter your kidneys with water the less it will show

Not necessarily a full-time smoker. Well, I guess I don't know what you consider a full-time smoker, but it's cumulative so he could smoke on the weekend and have an issue. Also, does the NCAA pee test? You'd think that would be too inaccurate for them to detect the things they really care about. Blood or hair testing could result in a positive after only smoking once depending on how close to the initial time it is. Of course, in for a penny, in for a pound. If you're going to smoke when you aren't allowed to, you might as well smoke as much as you'd like to and figure out how to beat the drug test.

Take pride in guys like Rob and Emmitt who are shining as Freshmen and seem proud to be here. A lot of the stories about guys on the team have me down as well. But there are bright spots and those two are easy to root for. 

I don't know about how Laz feels, but part of the sadness of this thread for me is how ridiculously vicious people are towards two players who, like it or not, are part of our team. I have no problem with legitimate criticism, but the way people are talking in here is generally cruel and completely out-of-line considering they play for us. Heck, I would think it's out-of-line to talk about Montrezl Harrell the way some people in here are talking about Troy and Stan and their families. It's way too far and it's not what Indiana Basketball is about. 

Not necessarily a full-time smoker. Well, I guess I don't know what you consider a full-time smoker, but it's cumulative so he could smoke on the weekend and have an issue. Also, does the NCAA pee test? You'd think that would be too inaccurate for them to detect the things they really care about. Blood or hair testing could result in a positive after only smoking once depending on how close to the initial time it is. Of course, in for a penny, in for a pound. If you're going to smoke when you aren't allowed to, you might as well smoke as much as you'd like to and figure out how to beat the drug test.

I don't know about how Laz feels, but part of the sadness of this thread for me is how ridiculously vicious people are towards two players who, like it or not, are part of our team. I have no problem with legitimate criticism, but the way people are talking in here is generally cruel and completely out-of-line considering they play for us. Heck, I would think it's out-of-line to talk about Montrezl Harrell the way some people in here are talking about Troy and Stan and their families. It's way too far and it's not what Indiana Basketball is about.

I know that most pee tests now screen for masking agents and if the pee is too diluted (water, tea, anything that will make it pretty much clear) in most cases the person will be retested and by full time smoker I mean at least twice a week, the amount of sweat leaving the body and water filtering through the kidneys and proper diet will show a lower amount of THC in the urine, a hair test is can go back years so I doubt they use those and a mouth swab test only goes back an effective ten hours and if you gargle peroxide cut with water it will cancel out any thing for a mouth swab and I'm not sure how a blood test would work on THC where its stored in fat cells, my guess is the NCAA let's teams handle drug screens and just collects the results so urine is probably the safest bet on the drug test failed

That's the point: they play for us. They represent us as Alumni, fans, students, and residents of this State. They have consistently shown that means nothing to them. Failing a drug test isn't the issue, it's failing two. It's not getting caught with a fake ID, it's getting popped for drugs less than 2 months later. Everyone deserves a second chance. These guys are now on their 3rd and 4th. The story of how Fischer was treated alone should make you angry that these kids put on the Cream and Crimson. 

I know that most pee tests now screen for masking agents and if the pee is too diluted (water, tea, anything that will make it pretty much clear) in most cases the person will be retested and by full time smoker I mean at least twice a week, the amount of sweat leaving the body and water filtering through the kidneys and proper diet will show a lower amount of THC in the urine, a hair test is can go back years so I doubt they use those and a mouth swab test only goes back an effective ten hours and if you gargle peroxide cut with water it will cancel out any thing for a mouth swab, my guess is the NCAA let's teams handle drug screens and just collects the results so urine is probably the safest bet on the drug test failed

I just know there has been huge controversy in the ability for pee tests for athletes to show anything of value. But, you're probably right. They're almost certainly just administered by the team though the NCAA might care around competition time. Pee tests are 100% useless for the only drugs I care about in college sports, performance enhancers. You can guzzle HGH and pass your pee tests. It only catches, what? Marijuana use? There's a reason the NFL is slowly reforming their marijuana use policies as legalization spreads in the US. I know Indiana is certainly one of the least tolerant places in the country for it, but come on. I care about as much if our players are smoking weed as I do if they're drinking. The only reason I might care is because it's breaking the rules. But to me at least, it's on the exact same level as Yogi's fake ID. 

That's the point: they play for us. They represent us as Alumni, fans, students, and residents of this State. They have consistently shown that means nothing to them. Failing a drug test isn't the issue, it's failing two. It's not getting caught with a fake ID, it's getting popped for drugs less than 2 months later. Everyone deserves a second chance. These guys are now on their 3rd and 4th. The story of how Fischer was treated alone should make you angry that these kids put on the Cream and Crimson. 

Sure. It can make you angry. But, is anger an excuse to spout vileness? Like I said, there's a difference between being critical and being nasty. You can tell your co-worker that you don't think his latest work was up to par or that he messed up something, but going back and talking about what an idiot he is isn't necessary. I don't care if people say they shouldn't be on the team, but seriously read through this thread and try and imagine saying it about anyone else and see if you don't get a little uneasy. And I don't care what people say, this 100% affects recruiting. Who the hell would ever want to play for this team and these fans?

Are there any other sources on that story? Because, I mean, until Uwe shows something to make us believe he's an insider it's hard to take. Especially considering people were jumping down his throat and saying he wasn't an IU fan and suspecting he was a Kentucky fan in other threads, everyone sure seems ready to believe him when the pitchforks are out and it fits their narrative.