Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

IU vs SMU Post Game Thread

The place was ROCKING last night. Loved being there and a great win for our young guys especially. It will only give them confidence moving forward. Excited to see what the rest of the season holds!

A lot of positives:

1) We CAN play with a good team, at least at home

2) We can win even when half our 3's don't go down

3) Crean was not outcoached by a legendary figure

4) For the first time out this year, Troy was outstanding, although he should have gotten better-timed blows

5) Quickness, quickness, quickness. We CAN play with a bigger team because of quickness...and SMU wasn't slow afoot, either.

6) Hanner has a less-than-spectacular game, Johnson's shots aren't falling from outside, but we still beat a ranked opponent

If there were significant negatives, I was too giddy to see them. Hoetzel looked overmatched, but I thought everyone else seemed in their element. Would have liked to have seen April get a couple of minutes against this level of competition as a test of where he is. I'm sure the coaches have evaluated that on practice performance, but some guys are practice players (Jeff Stocksdale was an All-American in practice but in games we scratched our heads as to why Lou Watson bothered to play him) and some come up bigger when the game starts.

Young teams have ups and downs, and we'll have some downs, but I believe this team would beat last year's team in a blowout.

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but I loved what Troy Williams brought to the table last night. I think he has the ability to be really good and if he can give us a presence on the inside, mainly for rebounding purposes, I think this team will benefit greatly. Another nugget I saw during the game. I think Stanford Robinson's inability to shoot the 3 ball is going to limit his minutes. Guys live RoJo and JBJ and Zeisloft are going to play before him. But damn can he play some on ball defense. All in all, great win for the Hoosiers. It is all about improving for B1G play right now.

The points in the paint was 42-14 in favor of SMU. I fail to see where HMP had a good defensive game.

Better than 44-14... if he doesn't take that charge it could have been 44-14.... :onthequiet:

No seriosuly that was a big charge call and a heady play by HMP but I agree that he needs to do something different on the defensive end, I don't care if he scores 3 points every game he needs to be productive on the defensive end... rebounds should be a nice bonus but please just defend the basket.... Don't jump for EVERY shot fake, alter a few more shots, block a few...

Can't really complain about a W... and I will take it everyday no matter who has what stats.... the only stat that really matters is the TEAM W - L stat.... I am just more nervous aftre watching HMP against other bigs.

Coach Larry Brown, talks a little bit about Coach Knight, asks why the stadium isnt named after Coach Knight heres the video, he jokes around and says some other interesting things, says he loves Indiana....listen to the whole thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH_JB-_MncE

We definitely have work to do but it was a good win.

We really need to work on rebounding.

The turnover margin was huge in our favor.  SMU was pretty undisciplined which I really didn't expect, but that's how we need to take care of the ball.

58 FG attempts, 33 of which were beyond the arc.  I don't like relying that heavily on a low percentage shot.  Our overall FG% was bad, but we shot 36% from 3 which isn't good or bad.

We definitely have work to do but it was a good win.

We really need to work on rebounding.

The turnover margin was huge in our favor. SMU was pretty undisciplined which I really didn't expect, but that's how we need to take care of the ball.

58 FG attempts, 33 of which were beyond the arc. I don't like relying that heavily on a low percentage shot. Our overall FG% was bad, but we shot 36% from 3 which isn't good or bad.

I'm really try to decide how much of their turnover issues can be credited to our defense. I'll definitely be checking in on SMU's turnovers the rest of the season.

Hopefully we can be a team that forces turnovers and creates a lot of fast break opportunities.

Which means-----SMU is a good team and IU is a good team!

Glad we have this quality win on our resume!

it will probably factor in a little bit with the committee, should IU be on the bubble, that SMU was without their best player when they squared off against us.