Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

The crappy thing is we don’t really know if it’s the initial notice of allegations or the revised ones after the University’s response. The difference could mean 6-9 months in final solutions. Curious how the Coronavirus will stall these if at all. Some schools around August should have their final punishments since they received theirs last fall.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IMG_1529.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The NCAA Division I Infractions Appeals Committee upheld findings that a former head UConn men’s basketball coach violated head coach responsibility and ethical conduct rules. The committee also upheld a penalty that requires the former head coach to serve a three-year show-cause order, according to the decision.

Full story:  https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/appeals-committee-upholds-violations-and-show-cause-order-former-uconn-men-s-basketball-coach

On Wednesday, the NCAA Division I Council Coordination Committee approved three blanket waiver requests made by multiple conferences over the last month. According to the release, basketball and football student-athletes are now allowed to participate in currently defined summer athletic activities without being enrolled in a summer school program.

Additionally, the vote allows schools to provide less than the legislated minimum financial aid requirements to maintain membership as a Division I school. It does not provide relief from other financial aid rules, including financial aid commitments to prospective and current student-athletes, or regulations related to the cancellation or reduction of financial aid.

Finally, schools that are reclassifying will count as Division I opponents in the first year of reclassification, regardless of whether or not they meet Division I scheduling requirements.

Recruiting had been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic and had put coaches in a rather tough position to continue recruiting talent. Starting on May 11, the NCAA will now allow more than just coaches and a recruit to be on a recruiting phone call, as well as lifted the restriction on the number of uncommitted recruits and family members on the phone with a coach. The NCAA also chose to allow recruits to participate in virtual team activities after they have met academic requirements to graduate high school or transfer to a Division I school. Previously, they could watch, but not participate.

Coaches are currently being held off of the physical recruiting trail because of the pandemic, but that could be changing soon. The group will meet on May 13, where it will then vote on whether or not the recruiting dead period will be extended through June 30.

Coaches can also participate in virtual camps and clinics, as long as potential recruits are not in attendance at the camps or clinics. All of these changes were made on a one-year basis, according to the release.

“The flexibility is intended to provide prospective student-athletes with virtual experiences like what they would have been able to experience during a campus visit,” the NCAA wrote in the release. “The flexibility begins Monday for all sports and applies only as long as the COVID-19 recruiting dead period lasts.”

Coronavirus and social distancing rules say that large, crowded areas should be avoided as movie theaters, work conferences and other traffic-heavy events are being shut down across the country per state jurisdictions at the urging of the CDC. Disneyland in California, as well as Disney World and Universal Studios theme parks in Orlando, Florida, all closed their gates to visitors in mid-March amid coronavirus concerns.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29147741/ncaa-enforcement-office-calls-kansas-violations-egregious-severe

They got five level 1’s? Man I bet Louisville doesn’t get much but I bet this punishment plays out in court.

I don’t doubt they will, but how does kansas escape this? How do they not get the death penalty? How different are they than SMU in terms of their actions?

Has any major programs gotten the death penalty since SMU?

No but 5 level 1’s is like saying there is no control. So I don’t see how we don’t see something massive at first. Then the appeal. Louisville had 1. Crazy what they think/know they have on them to come down like that.

No but 5 level 1’s is like saying there is no control. So I don’t see how we don’t see something massive at first. Then the appeal. Louisville had 1. Crazy what they think/know they have on them to come down like that.

Exactly. This is some legit stuff. If the ncaa knows all of this and doesn’t drop the hammer it will send the message that it’s open season and there is nothing to fear in terms of cheating.

At a minimum they have to vacate wins, lose scholarships, be banned from post season for some period of time and give Self a year year show cause.

To me that’s the minimum otherwise it’s all the joke we assumed it was and every school should open the pocket books and do it in the open

Exactly. This is some legit stuff. If the ncaa knows all of this and doesn’t drop the hammer it will send the message that it’s open season and there is nothing to fear in terms of cheating.

At a minimum they have to vacate wins, lose scholarships, be banned from post season for some period of time and give Self a year year show cause.

To me that’s the minimum otherwise it’s all the joke we assumed it was and every school should open the pocket books and do it in the open

This has been happening for awhile. There will be little done. I could see Self getting a suspension that “looks” serious, maybe half a season. They’ll vacate some wins that means next to nothing. They might lose a scholarship and some recruiting time.

They’ll continue writing checks and their program won’t be setback much if they fight it.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

This has been happening for awhile. There will be little done. I could see Self getting a suspension that “looks” serious, maybe half a season. They’ll vacate some wins that means next to nothing. They might lose a scholarship and some recruiting time.

They’ll continue writing checks and their program won’t be setback much if they fight it.

At most I think Self will be suspended their non conference schedule. A mighty firm wrist slap at most. 

16 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Not a fan of Vitale, but this is interesting. I guess we will find out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well, UL and KU have gotten their notices.  Could two more be LSU and Arizona ? Or did they already get theirs?  Hard to remember with how drawn out the NCAA process is.

58 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Well, UL and KU have gotten their notices.  Could two more be LSU and Arizona ? Or did they already get theirs?  Hard to remember with how drawn out the NCAA process is.

I feel like LSU and Arizona got the first notice of allegations but not the response to their rebuttal of the allegations. I might be wrong because this process is a joke.