Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bk4life

Double D laying down a truth bomb right now on 1070!

Here's to hoping that this tragedy has opened the eyes of our players in just how serious this can all be, and that the rest of their time playing basketball and living in Bloomington, IN will be on the straight and narrow from now on.

They've all spent a huge part of their lives playing basketball and working hard to get to where they are now, and to see their teammate seriously injured and their opportunities to succeed on the court being taken away from them from bad mistakes involving alcohol should be more than enough reason to take a step back and re-evaluate why they are here and what they are truly wanting to accomplish as young adults. 

I know that some of the vitriol pointed at Dakich comes from the "win at all costs" fans who were more than irritated that he took a stand when he became interim coach and dumped some problem children and severely disciplined others....I mean, he had players that wanted to fight him because they were forced to run...pathetic...I say the win at all costs mentality has done nothing for IU since Knight left and the "loosey-goosey" discipline style is doing nothing for the program. Kids need to step up, coaches need to step up...or lets stop with the whole "ITS IU" "ITS DIFFERENT HERE" because its all bs

Because we have the police report. He wasn't intoxicated. He wasn't implicated as the reason for the accident. "Pedestrian cause" means it was Devin's fault.

Doesn't matter if he was intoxicated. He was drinking. He's underage. Had the accident not taken place and he had just been pulled over by a bored cop for rolling through a stop sign instead of coming to a complete stop, he still could have been cited for drinking while driving because the mere act of doing so is illegal. Holt did something illegal by simply drinking a couple of beers...and compounded it by driving. Both of those things have absolutely nothing to do with Devin Davis.

We don't know the story. If Holt didn't even have enough alcohol for a glass of wine, who is to say he wasn't forced to be a DD? He had girls in his car too from the same party Devin was at. I wouldn't blame the guy who is making sure people are getting home. I know that pledges in a Frat have to do the same thing and drive people home. Maybe Emmitt had a beer two hours prior and was ready for bed and got a text that Devin needed a ride. I think the anger is misguided here.

I'm not blaming him for the accident. But he should not be drinking the night before a scrimmage.

This bothers me as well. Holt very well could have been at the party to DD (ordered to by the upperclassmen..) Then at the party ordered to drink a beer, or have one to somewhat fit in and not be the total outcast.

Someone has been watching a few too many after school specials...

If the culture in this program is that NOT drinking twelve hours before a public scrimmage where you're hanging out with little kids is something so rare that you're made to feel like an outcast we should just blow the whole team up Post-Sampsonish and start all over again.

Doesn't matter if he was intoxicated. He was drinking. He's underage. Had the accident not taken place and he had just been pulled over by a bored cop for rolling through a stop sign instead of coming to a complete stop, he still could have been cited for drinking while driving because the mere act of doing so is illegal. Holt did something illegal by simply drinking a couple of beers...and compounded it by driving. Both of those things have absolutely nothing to do with Devin Davis.

According to Police, it has everything to do with Devin...you know considering they said it was the PEDESTRIAN at fault. 

I agree and I understand that.  I am a teacher, I see it every day in my job.  I just hate it when we lower our expectations for kids (athletes or not) by acting like they are all to weak to resist peer pressure.  Even if peer pressure is the reason they make a mistake, it's still a mistake. 

I'm not going off on you HH1, this is just a sore spot with me.  

I know. I agree for the most part.

I never act like they are all too weak, but those who are, are. Who knows what his background is, or if he was even influenced, but Holt was late to the team and may be really trying to gain acceptance. I hope he was welcomed with open arms and knows he's as much a part of the team as the rest of the guys, but you never know.

You missed the entire point. Even if the accident hadn't happened, Holt still broke the law by (1) drinking under the age of 21, and (2) driving after having done so.

You missed the point of your own post. I'm not saying Emmitt didn't break the law. You said this had nothing to do with Devin, when it clearly has everything to do with Devin. If he doesn't run out on 17th street, we aren't talking about this. He could have been hit by anyone on that street. 

You missed the point of your own post. I'm not saying Emmitt didn't break the law. You said this had nothing to do with Devin, when it clearly has everything to do with Devin. If he doesn't run out on 17th street, we aren't talking about this. He could have been hit by anyone on that street.

So you're saying that it's only wrong if you get caught. I happen to disagree.

I agree with all that he said. Its really sad that this program has become what it is. It used to be a destination school for basketball. Now, its just an average run of the mill everyday program. The problem is. This administration went so far away from a BK like disciplinarian. Because they were afraid of a coach having total control of the school again. It starts at the top and wallows its way down into the sewers. As long as these people are in charge, there will never be a great coach at the helm of this once awesome program because they are scared. I bet they wish that the coach had more control now! Its the bed that they made, let em sleep in it!

I know that some of the vitriol pointed at Dakich comes from the "win at all costs" fans who were more than irritated that he took a stand when he became interim coach and dumped some problem children and severely disciplined others....I mean, he had players that wanted to fight him because they were forced to run...pathetic...I say the win at all costs mentality has done nothing for IU since Knight left and the "loosey-goosey" discipline style is doing nothing for the program. Kids need to step up, coaches need to step up...or lets stop with the whole "ITS IU" "ITS DIFFERENT HERE" because its all bs

I'm just tired of Dakich acting all superior now, but when he had direct opportunity to say something about Sampson, senderoff, McCallum, the drugs and the f's before it all came out, he stayed Mum.

You missed the entire point. Even if the accident hadn't happened, Holt still broke the law by (1) drinking under the age of 21, and (2) driving after having done so.

He broke he law by virtue of his BAC reading .25, rather than below .20, when many breathalizers have a margin of error of .20. So  he's either barely halfway to intoxicated or sniffed a cap.

Not condoning it, just saying the margin of error, was almost his entire reading

I agree with all that he said. Its really sad that this program has become what it is. It used to be a destination school for basketball. Now, its just an average run of the mill everyday program. The problem is. This administration went so far away from a BK like disciplinarian. Because they were afraid of a coach having total control of the school again. It starts at the top and wallows its way down into the sewers. As long as these people are in charge, there will never be a great coach at the helm of this once awesome program because they are scared. I bet they wish that the coach had more control now! Its the bed that they made, let em sleep in it!

No coach should ever have total control of a school.  They are but a small part of the SCHOOL. 

The problem is they put themselves in a situation where things could go south and reflect on them and the IU program. Don't put yourself in the situation in the first place and this would never happen...day before a game, don't drink...period...sit in your room, go over the plays, better yet do some shooting at Cook, play some xbox...common sense

So you're saying that it's only wrong if you get caught. I happen to disagree.

What? He said we aren't talking about this. There is a good chance if Devin never ran into the street for whatever reason then we never find out that Holt was drinking in the first place CC never said it was only wrong if you got caught

When someone else in the know like Dakich stating Crean's contract may have been broken, would you believe it then? Dan states the obvious; at least for those that know what it takes to play for Indiana. And no more excuses that start from the top. Do you think Crean will admit that these are even his players royally screwing up or will he blame it on the culture Sampson started?

it's weird. It's like you're replying to something totally different than what I said in the comment you quoted and what I ever said. I assume you're replying to my post in the "season prediction" thread when you mentioned the contract and I said:

Do they? Is any of the contract publically discoverable since he is a state employee? I'm pretty curious what constitutes "cause"

Where, I didn't defend anyone or say I didn't believe anything, I asked if you knew where I could look at the contract rather than relying on third-party accounts. I found it this morning (his original, I can't find the extension if it changed any terms) on Inside the Hall and started a post about it that I haven't finished because I need to focus on paying work first.

All that having been said, in response to this, Dakich isn't someone "in the know" about Crean's contract clauses more than any other radio or television personality. He has no better than a layman's understanding of a complicated topic and even he wasn't saying that the contract was definitely broken. If I didn't believe that the contract provided "cause" in this case, no amount of laymen reporters saying that it does based on nothing but their feelings toward the matter would change my mind. This is exactly the problem with reporting in the general media (which, I should know, I did the Ernie Pyle and then journalist thing). Just remember the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect.

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.” ― Michael Crichton

Someone has been watching a few too many after school specials...

If the culture in this program is that NOT drinking twelve hours before a public scrimmage where you're hanging out with little kids is something so rare that you're made to feel like an outcast we should just blow the whole team up Post-Sampsonish and start all over again.

You missed my point.  I'm saying that people are so quick to jump on Holt and judge him.  I wasn't talking about the culture of the program or the fact that drinking 12 hours before a scrimmage infront of kids ins't an issue.  It's obviously a HUGE issue.  What I'm saying is Holt wasn't drunk on Halloween, he was driving around intoxicated people and Devin Davis jumped in front of his car and got hit.

This could have happened to ANYONE driving down 17th street that night when Davis decided to jump in front of the car.  It could have happened to you, it could have happened to me.  People need to stop getting all over Holt.  He's honestly a victim in all of this, especially from the media.    I dont' even want to think what opposing fanbases are going to say during games about this to him.  It's going to be tough for sure.