Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
schoosier

A program of excuses

So, we are either a realist or a sunshine pumper eh?  That is what you call that?  If sounding like I am on the third day of a period with every breath I take is being a realist then I would rather be a sunshine pumper if you put it like that.  I can get my pot shot in too…  

Edit:  I know my humor is typically a little dry, so I will add I am just joking.  I just think it is unnecessary to add that in when that may be the single most idiotic statement on a sports site.  People disagree.  That is why we are able to discuss.  Because they don't want to slit their wrists over a recruiting coordinator leaving after 2 years not thinking it is the end of the world does not make them less of a realist.  Agree?

I certainly think it is healthy to agree to disagree and my choice of words for realist could have been doom and gloom, doomsday prepper , or some that others have used. I just feel the culture of IU basketball from the coach to AD to some of our fans is my thread title. I would be willing to bet that even those of us who disagree here on many topics could sit together and still cheer on our team God willing and spirits flowing. Although you and some others may even disagree with that.

I certainly think it is healthy to agree to disagree and my choice of words for realist could have been doom and gloom, doomsday prepper , or some that others have used. I just feel the culture of IU basketball from the coach to AD to some of our fans is my thread title. I would be willing to bet that even those of us who disagree here on many topics could sit together and still cheer on our team God willing and spirits flowing. Although you and some others may even disagree with that.

No, I do agree with that.  You would be shocked to know how frustrated I am with this team.  I am also level headed about it.  Extremes only get people on your ass with a microscope trying to pick apart your every word.  I also think even the biggest "sunshine pumper" would agree with you on many aspects of frustration with the team.  It is just typically how it is relayed that gets people frustrated.  Trust me.  My best friends include a UK, UL, and IU fans.  My family is mainly made up of PU fans.  Arguing is what I do.  Lol

Schoosier I think you should take some time away from the keyboard and maybe just walk outisde and enjoy the beautiful day. Your extreme negativity is cleary appreciated by no one and is very, very poorly supported. Is there reason for concern with the state of our program? Yes. Is there cause for the condemnation of Indiana, Indiana basketball, CTC, Fred Glass and the countless other subjects you've named? Absolutely not. Not when we are one year removed from a B1G Championship and with highly ranked recruiting classes 3 years in a row now. Your reaction is much more suitable for a fan of Rutgers basketball which actually is in a world of hurt with very little to look forward to. You can continue to argue every single person about why we're all just stupid "sunshine pumpers" but at some point you might think about cooling off a bit. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I just did but its raining in my part of the country lol. We all see the state of the program differntly and I only responded to those that quoted me. Fair enough?

[quote name="schoosier" post="61751" timestamp="1398198708"]I just did but its raining in my part of the country lol. We all see the state of the program differntly and I only responded to those that quoted me. Fair enough?[/quote] Fair.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Same as UL.  Can't step in that state.  I would probably pick Oregon due to facilities and Nike support.  Maybe a Stanford.  That would be a stretch.  NC State would be up there.  Texas would get good support.  

I don't know how UL being in Kentucky slipped my mind.  I really hate UK, so that'd be a big reason for not leaving for there.

I don't know if I could handle having to see that hideous court of Oregon's that often.

Speaking of not keeping up, you still haven't figured out that you're making excuses about booing the players in a thread that you started to complain about making excuses. If you can't see it in yourself it's pretty hard to imagine than any discussion with you will ever be productive.

Hwy, how about a basketball discussion?

1. Based on what we have coming in next year and returning players, what offenses do you feel would be best to use so that we will maximise our strengths? How about defense?

2. What do feel Crean needs to do to improve on his wins from last year? If you do not think he needs to do this than reread question 1.

I will patiently wait your response and give you mine in kind.

Wow! This was good reading! Sorry, but I love the banter. Ya'll can count me as one that is VERY frustrated with the whole state of the program right now. But, what is cool about this forum is that in the end, we are all Hoosier fans through and through. I know that we all want the best for our team, even if we all see it a little different. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this community. It is fun to be able to talk IU sports when I live so far away. 

You know, I truly think he learned that from Knight.  Knight had the fire to coach, but did not have the fire to recruit any longer.  In the 70s he could get by on recruiting main stays from Indiana with plugging and playing from outside while being a great coach.  By the 90s, NCAA was much too national with ESPN.  Kids from every state were no longer interested in staying close to home just so their family could see them.  You could see them on TV now.  Not saying Knight was slow to adapt, but he wasn't going to win another title at IU and that much was painfully obvious after 93.  With Coach K, he could every year.  That is all you can ask for in a coach.  Early exits happen.  A team of nobodies can get hot at the wrong time.  We have seen it, as has every top team.  

I don't think so. RMK got fired and the next year that team lost to Maryland (right?) in the championship game. I could easily see  RMK winning with that team. Even with a few years on him, he was a much better coach that MD. Would it have happened? That's all speculation. But I seem to recall that RMK had a book come out before that, and he stated that he thought that team could have been the one to get another banner. 

Yes, he mailed in his recruiting (or left it up to DD, which I guess is about the same thing), and it showed.

I don't think so. RMK got fired and the next year that team lost to Maryland (right?) in the championship game. I could easily see  RMK winning with that team. Even with a few years on him, he was a much better coach that MD. Would it have happened? That's all speculation. But I seem to recall that RMK had a book come out before that, and he stated that he thought that team could have been the one to get another banner. 

Yes, he mailed in his recruiting (or left it up to DD, which I guess is about the same thing), and it showed.

Technically wasn't it two years after Knight that we made the National Championship game? Davis was named interim coach on September 12, 2000, though it wasn't until March 21, 2001 that he was formally announced as the head basketball coach. 

He did say that, he said the team will make the national title game and should win it.  In his book My Story he even said he was genuinely looking forward to coaching that team.

Technically wasn't it two years after Knight that we made the National Championship game? Davis was named interim coach on September 12, 2000, though it wasn't until March 21, 2001 that he was formally announced as the head basketball coach. 

Yep. You are right. Too long ago when you're over the hill to remember all those little details.

[quote name="HoosierReb01" post="61771" timestamp="1398203313"]I don't think so. RMK got fired and the next year that team lost to Maryland (right?) in the championship game. I could easily see RMK winning with that team. Even with a few years on him, he was a much better coach that MD. Would it have happened? That's all speculation. But I seem to recall that RMK had a book come out before that, and he stated that he thought that team could have been the one to get another banner.

Yes, he mailed in his recruiting (or left it up to DD, which I guess is about the same thing), and it showed.[/quote] That team was the luckiest team I can remember which was great for us. They went 19-11 during the season. They were lucky they were a 5 seed for starters. Does 19-11 even come close to that now? We have had far more talented teams not come close. I don't think that team was built for a run but got lucky along the way who they played beyond Duke. Plus hot at the right team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm flattered but I don't get paid 3 mil a year to have to explain or better yet, come up with excuses as to why a team that included a lottery pick and another 1000 pt scorer failed to make any post season tournament. Motivating players probably is better done in practice if you're gonna rip them vs a post game presser where you're team failed to perform yet again.

And CTC doesn't get paid 3 million a year to have to explain anything to you, either.