Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

The Most Underrated Winning Players in IUBB History

Thought I’d start a couple of new threads today. The Butch Carter one got me thinking this was worthwhile:

Name the most underrated players in IU history that contributed to winning. NOT the ‘best’ players. Not the underrated guy on Crean’s first two teams (didn’t win much). Not your favorite players.

GO!

Great thread idea. I look forward to the names shared here. One I think fits the criteria, Jimmy Crews

Johnny Orr’s Michigan would provide IU its toughest test of the conference season (and perhaps the season overall), Feb 7. '76 in Bloomington. Indiana struggled offensively. The Wolverines took command of the game and led much of the way. Then Benson came through again.

HAMMEL: (Michigan’s Steve Grote) had two free throws, missed them both. Bring it down, with about five seconds to go, Quinn, within the offense, he put up a shot from the top of the key. It was going out of bounds. About two-thirds of the way to the end line, Jimmy (Crews) dived in and threw it toward the direction of the basket. It was more of save than a shot, just a desperation-type thing.

ABERNETHY: Jimmy Crews just batted it back toward the rim, and Kent laid it in.

FISCHER: They had all the referees discussing whether the ball was tipped in (in time) and all that kind of stuff. The basket counted. And we went and beat the snot out of Michigan in the overtime.

Just as they had against Kentucky, the Hoosiers dominated the overtime period, eventually winning 72-67.

Ricky Roe (aka Matt Nover) 

Didn't seem like a Big Ten talent, yet he was a significant contributor to a team that averaged 26-plus wins over four years, won two league titles, reached a Final Four and likely would've won a natty if not for Alan Henderson's injury. 

Started every game his senior year. 

I'm a little biased, though -- he grew up about 15 miles from where I did. 

The real-life Ricky Roe: the college basketball career of Matt Nover, Blue  Chips' forgotten blue chip

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Joe Hillman

Jarrad Odle

Butch Carter

Trey Galloway

John Ritter 

Dean Garrett

Jim Thomas

Juwan Morgan

Miller Kopp

If that is your list then Daryl Thomas, Matt Nover, Jordan Hulls, Dane Fife, Tom Coverdale, AJ Moye, and many, many more should go on that list

Jim Thomas, the other Thomas on that 1981 NC team.  Sixth man that stepped up in that natty game when Kitchell had early foul issues.  JT was the best rebounding guard to play at IU.  Led the team in rebounds his junior and senior years even with Blab, Bouchie, Kitchell and Wittnam on those teams.  Played on three Big Ten champion teams and one second place finish.  

I'll be the only one to say it.

Cody Zeller.

Was the best player on the team his freshman and sophomore year. He didn't put up some super great TJD type numbers but scored 1000 points in 2 years, averaged 16 and 7 in two years. Was crazy athletic, crazy smart on both ends of the floor, the best floor running big man I've ever seen in college and gets talked over when those years are mentioned. He might be the most underrated Hoosier of all time period. Took a program that had 28 games in 3 years and went 56-16 with a B1G championship when he arrived. Immediately turned a 12 win team into a 27 win team as a freshman.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Cody Zeller.

Was the best player on the team his freshman and sophomore year. He didn't put up some super great TJD type numbers but scored 1000 points in 2 years, averaged 16 and 7 in two years. Was crazy athletic, crazy smart on both ends of the floor, the best floor running big man I've ever seen in college and gets talked over when those years are mentioned. He might be the most underrated Hoosier of all time period. Took a program that had 28 games in 3 years and went 56-16 with a B1G championship when he arrived. Immediately turned a 12 win team into a 27 win team as a freshman.

37 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Cody Zeller.

Hard to say the guy on the cover of SI and the most talked about player on that team as underrated. I'd think from those teams Watford would fit this bill more than Cody. To me Cody is right up there as best big man to ever play at IU

3 minutes ago, rcbowla said:

Hard to say the guy on the cover of SI and the most talked about player on that team as underrated. I'd think from those teams Watford would fit this bill more than Cody. To me Cody is right up there as best big man to ever play at IU

Especially as the 4th overall pick

13 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Great thread idea. I look forward to the names shared here. One I think fits the criteria, Jimmy Crews

Johnny Orr’s Michigan would provide IU its toughest test of the conference season (and perhaps the season overall), Feb 7. '76 in Bloomington. Indiana struggled offensively. The Wolverines took command of the game and led much of the way. Then Benson came through again.

HAMMEL: (Michigan’s Steve Grote) had two free throws, missed them both. Bring it down, with about five seconds to go, Quinn, within the offense, he put up a shot from the top of the key. It was going out of bounds. About two-thirds of the way to the end line, Jimmy (Crews) dived in and threw it toward the direction of the basket. It was more of save than a shot, just a desperation-type thing.

ABERNETHY: Jimmy Crews just batted it back toward the rim, and Kent laid it in.

FISCHER: They had all the referees discussing whether the ball was tipped in (in time) and all that kind of stuff. The basket counted. And we went and beat the snot out of Michigan in the overtime.

Just as they had against Kentucky, the Hoosiers dominated the overtime period, eventually winning 72-67.

One of my all-time favorite games.  The ending was crazy.  IU was down and time was running out.  And....WOW!  The team that refused to lose.  My wife of 47 years and I both graduated that year and got married.  A bunch of dreams come true.

Kent Benson was a force.  

Another game that was a miracle to win was IU #5 beats Duke #1 in Rupp Arena.  AJ Moye stuffs Boozer at the end saving the game.  Jeffries was a phenom...but the whole team was in the 2nd half.  I knew IU had lost the game at the half...never so happy to be wrong in my life.   I was there in the back row.  Great seats, I must say!

I have to say, when Bob Knight came to campus and his teams played defense first and were methodical on offense...the crowd did not like it at all.  He was severely underrated.

That was after having George McGinnis and Steve Downing in the front and not hanging a banner....they ran and flew and kicked back...and underachieved for sure.

Maybe Larry Bird was underrated at IU.  Heh...just maybe.

I’m going to add another barrier, and say the team had to win at least 23 games and the players could not average more than 12 ppg.  From my time as a fan since 2000…

Tom Coverdale (01-02)

Jeff Newton (01-02)

AJ Moye (01-02)

Jamarcus Ellis (07-08)

Jordan Hulls (11-13)

Will Sheehey (11-13)

Max Biefeldt (15-16)

Robert Johnson (15-16)

Race Thompson (22-23)

Trey Galloway (22-23)

2 hours ago, rcbowla said:

Cody is absolutely one of the best big men in IU history. But when people talk about those years it's Oladipo, Syracuse game, Crean... Zeller always ends up down the list and pretty much not talked about. Anytime the media does a ranking of players, Dipo always makes it, Zeller never does(even though he was the best player on the team). He's become underrated by almost being accidentally forgotten. As if it's something that can just go unspoken as to how good he was. If that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Cody is absolutely one of the best big men in IU history. But when people talk about those years it's Oladipo, Syracuse game, Crean... Zeller always ends up down the list and pretty much not talked about. Anytime the media does a ranking of players, Dipo always makes it, Zeller never does(even though he was the best player on the team). He's become underrated by almost being accidentally forgotten. As if it's something that can just go unspoken as to how good he was. If that makes sense.

I'd say that point is somewhat fair but in the moment he was certainly not forgotten or neglected. He was hyped more than anyone during those years.

3 hours ago, rcbowla said:

I'd say that point is somewhat fair but in the moment he was certainly not forgotten or neglected. He was hyped more than anyone during those years.

He absolutely was. It's the after he left where he became underrated. And honestly, the media put him down a lot his sophomore year and plenty of fans did as well.

Wayne Redford. First Indianapolis recruit by RMK. Had a few shining moments in the Buckner/May/Benson et al era. Really blossomed in the 2 years following the undefeated season. Upset MSU when Magic was a freshman and outscored him 23-21 while guarding him much of the game 

7 hours ago, moyemayhem said:

I’m going to add another barrier, and say the team had to win at least 23 games and the players could not average more than 12 ppg.  From my time as a fan since 2000…

Tom Coverdale (01-02)

Jeff Newton (01-02)

AJ Moye (01-02)

Jamarcus Ellis (07-08)

Jordan Hulls (11-13)

Will Sheehey (11-13)

Max Biefeldt (15-16)

Robert Johnson (15-16)

Race Thompson (22-23)

Trey Galloway (22-23)

Newton is my #1. Loved, loved, loved his game.

Cool dude too, autographed a shirt for my Mom .

And he later basically owned Japan, he's a living legend there.