Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Naturalhoosier

Old IU Campus Photo?

I was given this framed photo from my Grandma in the mid-80s. I was told it was of IUB campus. It then was boxed, forgotten, presumably lost. I was going through some boxes today and was reunited with it. 

I haven’t been on the campus for any length of time since the late 90s. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed an old IUB campus photo and what buildings/area it is?  There is no descriptions on the back. Appreciated. 

IMG_4007.jpeg

The 2 buildings on the left I'm pretty sure are Franklin Hall and the Student Building (the one with the clock tower). Seems like it was taken in the Dunn Woods before they became wooded. That's a mighty nice landscape taken from the days of yore.

6 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I was given this framed photo from my Grandma in the mid-80s. I was told it was of IUB campus. It then was boxed, forgotten, presumably lost. I was going through some boxes today and was reunited with it. 

I haven’t been on the campus for any length of time since the late 90s. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed an old IUB campus photo and what buildings/area it is?  There is no descriptions on the back. Appreciated. 

IMG_4007.jpeg

Looks to me like a good charcoal and maybe pastel drawing of Franklin Hall and the Student Building, Maxwell Hall and Owen Hall...at least that area and to the east.  From the perspective of between what is now Bryan Hall and the Rose Well House.  Or from the Kirkwood Observatory area.  Since the Union was constructed in the early 1930's the drawing is before that.  Probably, very early 1900's.  Would have to have the art dated by an IU history buff.  Is it an original?  

19 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Looks to me like a good charcoal and maybe pastel drawing of Franklin Hall and the Student Building, Maxwell Hall and Owen Hall...at least that area and to the east.  From the perspective of between what is now Bryan Hall and the Rose Well House.  Or from the Kirkwood Observatory area.  Since the Union was constructed in the early 1930's the drawing is before that.  Probably, very early 1900's.  Would have to have the art dated by an IU history buff.  Is it an original?  

The paper material feels like it would be an original. It’s a thicker construction paper-type thickness just a touch smoother. Not sure how else to describe it. It doesn’t feel like a drawing but I also don’t know what I don’t know. 

I'd try contacting someone in the archives.

University Archives

Herman B Wells Library E460
1320 East Tenth Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-7000, United States
Visit the University Archives
812-855-1127

On second thought after clicking on the picture and taking a closer look, I have some thoughts.  The clarity is very good, so I revise my speculation from possible charcoal drawing.  It does seem to be a black and white photograph.  What looked like color at first is likely a reflection on the protective glass in front of the framed picture. 

Closer look to the right shows the road from Kirkwood passing in front of the line of building disappearing to a 'vanishing point' way off to the back right.  However, at a right angle from the east-west orientation of the road and buildings from the left to the center..off to the right and heading south are a line of buildings, likely Wiley Hall, Kirkwood Hall and Lindley Hall.  

Look between Franklin Hall and the Student Building and in the background is what might be the Sigma Chi House which was built in 1906.  I do not see the Union Building behind the rest of the buildings that are east-west.  I do not see the Chemistry building to the right behind those buildings.  And that is conclusive that this was before the Chemistry building was built in 1931.

I second Old Fart's suggestion.  That is if he doesn't remember that far back.  Or remember taking the picture.  

21 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'd try contacting someone in the archives.

University Archives

Herman B Wells Library E460
1320 East Tenth Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-7000, United States
Visit the University Archives
812-855-1127

Good thinking. I sent them an email. If nothing else it could make a good conversation piece for them. 

10 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Not a peep. :(

I haven’t done any digging on who, but I’d bet you’re better off finding someone in the archives and reaching out directly to them. Those general university department email addresses can be a catch-all that aren’t really monitored. 

9 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

And what did you find?!

it's a technique that's a lot older than I thought for one lol like early 1800's. A lot of early panos were frames that were stitched together and you could clearly see a border on each frame. The photo above looks like it was made with a camera that rotated the camera and film at the same time exposing the image on a seamless piece of film