Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Do Not Fire Mike Woodson

On 8/19/2024 at 2:36 PM, AH1971 said:

Jay Wright had a worse record in year 3 than he did year 1. So did Mike Kryzewski. As did Scott Drew. John Beilein went 15-17 in year 3 at Michigan. You want to know who improved years 1 through 3? Archie Miller.

I don't buy for one second that people like you would have given these other coaches the benefit of the doubt. Your arguments clearly don't hold water. Archie Miller had a top 10 class in year 2 and followed that up with another 5* recruit. 

I've literally done this conversation with "diehard" IU fans during the tenure of every failed coach going back to Davis so I'm not going to disprove all your examples.  

But you mentioned Wright first and I know his tenure fairly.  At the end of year 3 he had a roster full of highly regarded talent, all conf and All American players and Kyle Lowery coming in. He was building a team and everyone was on board.  The rest is mostly history.  

Archie Miller showed nothing other than the covid season where he tepidly would've limped into the tourney then he regressed again in year 4. His teams couldn't shoot and he hadn't addressed that through recruiting in 4 years and we still stink there to this day. By year 4 Wright had two All-Americans and a future NBA all-star as his 3 man back court.  I don't believe any knowledgeable basketball fan thinks Archie Miller's and Jay Wrights first 4 years in major conf basketball are remotely similar.  

But in the words of inscrutable Dennis Miller, "that's just my opinion,  I could be wrong. "

On 8/20/2024 at 8:11 PM, Scotty R said:

And now they just hired a coach who has never won a tournament game

I've seen Pope's teams look really good and I've seen them look terrible. I don't think he'll have the consistency to keep BBN happy. Does UK play the Razorbacks this year?

1 hour ago, ebridges24 said:

I've seen Pope's teams look really good and I've seen them look terrible. I don't think he'll have the consistency to keep BBN happy. Does UK play the Razorbacks this year?

I mean they are both in the SEC so they will definitely play at least once. That will for sure be must see TV.

We’re on our 5th coach since the turn of the century….
Name another program in the country who has consistently won at a respectable level with a comparable turnover rate as Indiana in said time frame? You can’t because they don’t exist. IU has a terrible turnover rate when it comes to coaching retention. Don’t kid yourself.
If we were iowa or Minnesota we wouldn't have changed coaches as often. Indiana basketball isn't a run of the mill program

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

If we were iowa or Minnesota we wouldn't have changed coaches as often. Indiana basketball isn't a run of the mill program

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Fully agree — but, the Archie Miller hire was a complete disaster/ fail, and the musical chair coach hires / fires is not a recipe for success anywhere. 

3 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

I saw Coach Cig wasn't happy with the fans leaving early and called them out. Ironic no comments on this site.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

Strange. He also said he needs to put a product on the field that the fans want to stay and watch.  Plus a lot of IU fans are trying to change the culture and online persona. It’s worth the effort, especially if we can win and up our status. 

winning at or above expectations cures all.  This is the standard measuring stick.  

just not an apple to apple comparison whatsoever.  

Strange. He also said he needs to put a product on the field that the fans want to stay and watch.  Plus a lot of IU fans are trying to change the culture and online persona. It’s worth the effort, especially if we can win and up our status. 

winning at or above expectations cures all.  This is the standard measuring stick.  

just not an apple to apple comparison whatsoever.  

So, shooting someone to death is not the same as stabbing someone to death.....humm.

18 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

In context with coaching comments, which so many here made so important, it's silly it isn't discussed here, Silly.

You do realize no one is falling for your bait anymore. Stirring up stuff, then running to the Mods, because your feelings got hurt. 

Back to the "The do not fire Mike Woodson" thread, I hope he has a good Return on the Investment, and has a great season. If not, I'll see you in "The fire Mike Woodson" next year.