Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

13 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s part of my concern for Woody’s recruiting pitch. When you target bench guys you get bench guys with less talent.  Let’s say he goes hard for TJ Power as a player with starter potential. Maybe he earns it, maybe he doesn’t.  

but when you are trying to recruit guys happy to be Bench guys you are severely capping your talent on the team.  He needs to find a way to figure this out. 

Nothing is promised.  Everything is earned.  

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They don’t recruit that way.  They definitely sell starter spots and bench spots.  

That’s why we weren’t able to get the guard we needed last cycle.  It’s why we recruited Peyton Sparks.  It’s why we are having a tougher time filling the last 3-4 spots.  

Now if during practice one of the bench guys outplays a starter, I imagine they would switch but it’s not really Woody’s ways either.

Instead of having 10 guys that look like they could be starters and letting the cream rise to the top we recruit tiers.  Makes the margin of error in assessment so much more difficult .  

They can recruit top tier players but when it comes to role players, they pretty much suck!

Looking at Old Fart's big board (and assuming Carlyle commits), we have visits from Payne and Malone;  Walker visiting early next week and according to Chris, Anderson should be soon.  Payne looks like the least likely one since the visit was about a week ago and with Ballo committing he looks like the least likely as a fit.

By position:

Payne 4/5

Malone 4/5

Anderson 3/4

Walker 1

IMO, though, you can play two point guards simultaneously so Walker would still be an option off the bench.  He can shoot some.  Anderson and Malone are both intriguing but different players.  It is known that Payne can play a P5 level, just offers the least flexibiliity.

17 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Looking at Old Fart's big board (and assuming Carlyle commits), we have visits from Payne and Malone;  Walker visiting early next week and according to Chris, Anderson should be soon.  Payne looks like the least likely one since the visit was about a week ago and with Ballo committing he looks like the least likely as a fit.

By position:

Payne 4/5

Malone 4/5

Anderson 3/4

Walker 1

IMO, though, you can play two point guards simultaneously so Walker would still be an option off the bench.  He can shoot some.  Anderson and Malone are both intriguing but different players.  It is known that Payne can play a P5 level, just offers the least flexibiliity.

Yeah I am intrigued by Malone and I just outright like Anderson and Walker for the roles they'd have at IU. Don’t know that any of those three would have more $ elsewhere but could probably find more PT.

Would be pretty pleased with the overall haul if it’s the three I named, Carlyle, and the two already in the fold.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They don’t recruit that way.  They definitely sell starter spots and bench spots.  

That’s why we weren’t able to get the guard we needed last cycle.  It’s why we recruited Peyton Sparks.  It’s why we are having a tougher time filling the last 3-4 spots.  

Now if during practice one of the bench guys outplays a starter, I imagine they would switch but it’s not really Woody’s ways either.

Instead of having 10 guys that look like they could be starters and letting the cream rise to the top we recruit tiers.  Makes the margin of error in assessment so much more difficult .  

I agree.  That's why they need to take a lesson from Coach Cig.  

25 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Wings. Bring in another wing, plz

I'd say Newton will be more of a wing than true guard along with Tucker in a small ball lineup.That is if Woody ever plays one.

I don't know where any more time would be for another.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Chris had posted that he believed he would be visiting soon -- possibly even on campus now.

HSN has a post with a photo showing Carlyle, Woodson, Howard after breakfast at Uptown’s today.  Poster who took the photo said Ya was across the street.  Poster is a well known Uber guy who watches what’s happening and drives IU players frequently.  

46 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Yeah I am intrigued by Malone and I just outright like Anderson and Walker for the roles they'd have at IU. Don’t know that any of those three would have more $ elsewhere but could probably find more PT.

Would be pretty pleased with the overall haul if it’s the three I named, Carlyle, and the two already in the fold.

I should add that while I like Walker for a bench guard role, it would not shock me if he looked elsewhere.

He and Cupps play differently but I can’t imagine there are lots of PG minutes left after Rice, Trey, and Carlyle (? — not sure how much even KC will play the point). Cupps as a sophomore can probably handle what’s left.