Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023-2024 MBB Big Ten Tournament

38 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Doesn't matter.  We have Xavier back and he was the key to the season.  DWS

But that is kinda true. With X available, we were 9-4 in conference. Without him we were 1-6.

We have two guards on the roster who matter; Trey and X. If both of them aren't a full go, we have Cupps playing major minutes and/or CJ Gunn getting minutes. Without X we have gotten absolutely roasted by quick guards such as Ace Baldwin.

Everything Woody says is not automatically wrong!

1. It is 100% true that it is Woody's fault that we don't have any guard depth or any guards that can create, but
  2. It is also true that Trey and X are both good defensively and with our pretty damn good front line, with both X and Trey in the lineup we are a much different and much better team.

Bottom line? We need both Trey and X to play major minutes to be a decent team.

1 minute ago, IU_FanClub said:

I thought he said he will be good to go Thursday is that not the case?

I don't know but we'll see. As far as what he said, there were a lot of things said that day which wasn't close to being true. I hope he's right because we don't stand a chance otherwise

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I don't know but we'll see. As far as what he said, there were a lot of things said that day which wasn't close to being true. I hope he's right because we don't stand a chance otherwise

What an absolute kick in the nuts that would be. He's been so good lately and X has not looked up to speed since coming back.

21 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

I thought he said he will be good to go Thursday is that not the case?

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Trey is an absolute must have if IU is to have any chance to move along in the BIG T. Together with X on the D side and Trey's ability to get downhill on O, IU will have a chance to win some games. Especially if Mr. Ware continues to play so well on both sides of the ball.

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun mods, but figured this may warrant it's own thread to focus the conversation. Feel free to move into college bball thread if a better fit. 

1219254914_2024MBBTBracket031024.thumb.png.831fe2b613646bbd204f827ca9a62369.png

Very favorable bracket. For as bad of a season as it's been, the 6 seed in the BTT gives us a long shot chance to try and salvage things (first ever BTT championship? lol)

IMO, rooting for Michigan over. PSU. Wouldn't feel great vs. PSU at all. Not convinced we can beat Nebraska, but hey... if we do and we get lucky with Iowa or OSU upsetting Illinois... we can get romped in the championship game vs. Purdue... since we aren't going to the NCAA without winning the tournament anyway... let's hope they get upset too (blows that I think we could play them 100 times this year and lose all 100). 

I always want there to be more IUBB to watch, but I'll be more excited about the NIT if we end up going than the BTT (unless we go on a cinderella run in it and get lucky with matchups) 

I'm ready for portal season.

8 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun mods, but figured this may warrant it's own thread to focus the conversation. Feel free to move into college bball thread if a better fit. 

1219254914_2024MBBTBracket031024.thumb.png.831fe2b613646bbd204f827ca9a62369.png

Very favorable bracket. For as bad of a season as it's been, the 6 seed in the BTT gives us a long shot chance to try and salvage things (first ever BTT championship? lol)

IMO, rooting for Michigan over. PSU. Wouldn't feel great vs. PSU at all. Not convinced we can beat Nebraska, but hey... if we do and we get lucky with Iowa or OSU upsetting Illinois... we can get romped in the championship game vs. Purdue... since we aren't going to the NCAA without winning the tournament anyway... let's hope they get upset too (blows that I think we could play them 100 times this year and lose all 100). 

I always want there to be more IUBB to watch, but I'll be more excited about the NIT if we end up going than the BTT (unless we go on a cinderella run in it and get lucky with matchups) 

I'm ready for portal season.

Really bad draw for Michigan State.  Bracket Matrix still has six at large bids below them but personally I think they are closer to being out than that.  No bad losses helps them but loss to Minnesota would put them at 18-14.  Don't see any way they beat Purdue if they do get past Minnesota.  IMO, a loss to Minnesota puts them out of the tournament or on the last 4 line and at risk to having their bid stolen.

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Really bad draw for Michigan State.  Bracket Matrix still has six at large bids below them but personally I think they are closer to being out than that.  No bad losses helps them but loss to Minnesota would put them at 18-14.  Don't see any way they beat Purdue if they do get past Minnesota.  IMO, a loss to Minnesota puts them out of the tournament or on the last 4 line and at risk to having their bid stolen.

Isn’t it usually the case that conf tourney results don’t matter to the committee, that they’re already crunching season numbers and making their selections?

I’d love to see MSU miss the tourney and that we had a hand in it, Izzo is a little turd of a man, but seems like they’ve already just squeaked in to me - thoughts?

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Isn’t it usually the case that conf tourney results don’t matter to the committee, that they’re already crunching season numbers and making their selections?

I’d love to see MSU miss the tourney and that we had a hand in it, Izzo is a little turd of a man, but seems like they’ve already just squeaked in to me - thoughts?

Izzo has that consecutive tournament thing going, so he’s going to get the benefit of the doubt to keep that narrative going. If they lose to Minnesota, he doesn’t belong. If we win 1-2 games we’ll have a better record and won the head to head and we still won’t get in.

The media loves Izzo and the committee will make some kind of justification for why they should make the field 

54 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

They say publicly they have contingency brackets however history shows results from Friday-Sunday dont matter. 

5 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Thursday usually matters.  Friday very little.  Saturday and Sunday…not really.