Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

35 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Woodson's head coaching career was over before IU called; there was no demand because he showed he was a crappy coach and they believed it.

IU is in the position they're in because of IU. We fired the only good coach we've had in the last 25 years and drag our feet to fire the bad ones. We let standards go and replaced expectations with excuses. We haven't examined the hiring process that's led to lousy coach after lousy coach.

We want to get back? Ditch the excuses and set and hold expectations, refuse to lower the standards; it's the coach's job to meet them not lower them to the point he can't fail. And change the hiring process because it clearly doesn't work.

If we want to compete with the big boys we have to act like them.

Dan Hurley in his first 4 years at UConn:

16-17 no tournament

19-12 tournament cancelled (squarely on the bubble but most likely on the outside looking in)

15-8 #7 seed lost to #10 Maryland 63-54 in the first round

23-10 #5 seed lost to #12 seed New Mexico State 70-63 in the first round

Imagine if their administration acted like one of the "big boys"? 

2 hours ago, Silat Player said:

Yep. Agreed. I should've said, "How long has it been since he actually developed a relationship with a recruit and signed one?" 

It seems all of his signings are quick, last-minute ones. 

MM, BT, JHS...

Talking about long-term program development here.

JHS, Newton, Cupps,Banks

7 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

16-17 no tournament

19-12 tournament cancelled (squarely on the bubble but most likely on the outside looking in)

What are you smoking that you are trying to compare Mediocre Mike Woodson to Danny Hurley? Must be some good stuff.

To humor you, I didn't see "play-in game" or "round of 68" or "blowout tournament losses" in your litany of Hurley failures.

Now, pass the bowl so we can all partake in your fantasy.

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

16-17 no tournament

So, he improved his overall record and conference record each year, and was under 50 years old at the time? Oh yeah, very comparable to Mike Woodson.

Mike Woodson is not the long-term answer for IU. He’s 66 years old. He won’t be around 10 years from now. He probably won’t even be around 5 years from now. There’s zero point in waiting around for a senior citizen coach to “figure it out” when he’ll be retirement age by the time he does. 

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

What are you smoking that you are trying to compare Mediocre Mike Woodson to Danny Hurley? Must be some good stuff.

To humor you, I didn't see "play-in" game or "round of 68" or "blowout tournament losses" in your litany of Hurley failures.

This board would have fired Dan Hurley based on his first 4 seasons, no? 2 Missed tournaments, an outright losing record, and two first round losses as a better seed? Tell me where I'm wrong?

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So, he improved his overall record and conference record each year, and was under 50 years old at the time? Oh yeah, very comparable to Mike Woodson.

Mike Woodson is not the long-term answer for IU. He’s 66 years old. He won’t be around 10 years from now. He probably won’t even be around 5 years from now. There’s zero point in waiting around for a senior citizen coach to “figure it out” when he’ll be retirement age by the time he does. 

I'm not comparing Mike Woodson to Dan Hurley. I was commenting on the ridiculous assertion that if your head coach doesn't achieve pinnacle results in his first 3 seasons he must be shown the door or otherwise be relegated to a program who doesn't care. I'm just playing your guys game. 

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

This board would have fired Dan Hurley based on his first 4 seasons, no? 2 Missed tournaments, an outright losing record, and two first round losses as a better seed? Tell me where I'm wrong?

Woodson is no Danny Hurley. That's where you went wrong.

5 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

To humor you, I didn't see "play-in" game or "round of 68" or "blowout tournament losses" in your litany of Hurley failures.

And based on your Twitter feed, I don't even want to know what kind of extra-circulars you partake in. #whackjob

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I'm not comparing Mike Woodson to Dan Hurley. I was commenting on the ridiculous assertion that if your head coach doesn't achieve pinnacle results in his first 3 seasons he must be shown the door or otherwise be relegated to a program who doesn't care. I'm just playing your guys game. 

Don't bring up Coach K's first 4 years at Duke plus his losing record at Army

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Woodson is no Danny Hurley. That's where you went wrong.

Who said he was? But Danny Hurley would have been unemployed if we let people like you make executive decisions. 

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Archie had a worse first three seasons than Hurley and few were calling for him to be fired going into his fourth season. So, no, you’re not correct. But when you hire a head coach in his mid-60s you’re kinda banking on immediate success. The clock was ticking from day 1. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Don't bring up Coach K's first 4 years at Duke plus his losing record at Army

Are you intentionally being dense? Coach K was 33 years old when Duke hired him. Mike Woodson is literally double his age. You give a coach time to figure it out when there’s a potential long-term gain for doing so. When he’s a guy who could be around 30+ years. Mike Woodson is 66 years old. Why give him additional time to “figure it out” just in time for retirement when you could fire him and find a potential long-term solution? 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So if Woodson's first year was no tournament, second year win play in game, third year win first round game would you say that Woodson made gradual improvements 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Are you intentionally being dense? Coach K was 33 years old when Duke hired him. Mike Woodson is literally double his age. You give a coach time to figure it out when there’s a potential long-term gain for doing so. When he’s a guy who could be around 30+ years. Mike Woodson is 66 years old. Why give him additional time to “figure it out” just in time for retirement when you could fire him and find a potential long-term solution? 

So what, this fan base with Hurley's first three years or coach K's first 4 years would have ran both out of town. When people see these comparisons they look at the finish product but at the time neither Hurley or coach K had any kind of resume.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

But when you hire a head coach in his mid-60s you’re kinda banking on immediate success.

And he immediately took a program who hadn't played in an NCAAT game since 2016 back to the dance in consecutive years. Judging your age, you can count on one hand the number of times IU has played in consecutive tournaments in your lifetime. I'm not sure what kind of immediate success you were looking for? 

10 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

And based on your Twitter feed, I don't even want to know what kind of extra-circulars you partake in. #whackjob

When you can't debate the subject, you attack the poster? Good to know.

9 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Who said he was? But Danny Hurley would have been unemployed if we let people like you make executive decisions. 

And age has to factor into the decision. A young coach trying to get his feet under him is a far cry from a 65+ year old has-been NBA coach trying to rewrite his legacy. And Hurley turned his record around without the help of a couple of billionaires buying him a team so he could keep trying.

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

When you can't debate the subject, you attack the poster? Good to know.

Pot meet Kettle?

19 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

To humor you, I didn't see "play-in game" or "round of 68" or "blowout tournament losses" in your litany of Hurley failures.

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

Pot meet Kettle?

I never attacked you. My point stands: you want to equate Woodsons crap-fest with Danny Hurley's first 4 years. I am simply saying there's no comparison. Danny Hurley was a rising start... Mike Woodson was a mediocre NBA coach with no clue what he was doing (still not sure he understands what it takes to be successful as a college basketball coach).

6 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

And he immediately took a program who hadn't played in an NCAAT game since 2016 back to the dance in consecutive years. Judging your age, you can count on one hand the number of times IU has played in consecutive tournaments in your lifetime. I'm not sure what kind of immediate success you were looking for? 

IU hadn’t played in a tournament game since 2016 because a once in a century pandemic canceled the tournament in 2020. He got blown out in the round of 64 his first year, blown out in the round of 32 in his second year, and missed the tournament entirely his third year. Not taking a giant step back in year 3 is certainly something you expect from your aging head coach.

But, of course, I’m forgetting that it’s Indiana! Simply making the tournament gets you a hefty raise. Leave your expectations at the door.