Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, Stuhoo said:

And why did he have to 

• Take a mid-major with a 2,800 seat arena to the Final Four.
  • Retain his top eight players, even with zero NIL budget.
  • Learn from Bobby Knight and Mike White
  • Keep that team in the top 25 all of this year while migrating to a tougher conference.
  • Be young and have a 20 year career ahead of him at a P5 school
  • Have an extremely low buyout, and have a current contract that could easily be exceeded
  • Be the number one most coveted up and coming coach nationally
  • Covet IUBB as his dream job

Because his resume/experience doesn't warrant a job of Indiana's magnitude, fluke F4 run be damned. 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Marshall?

MARSHALL?!!?

He is 60, hasn't coached in three years, and was terminated from his last job after WSU had to pay a $7.75 million civil settlement to players that he abused. 

We have a better chance of hiring Cliff Marshall, Marshall Mathers, or Penny Marshall as our next coach.

Don’t forget Marshall Tucker. 

10 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

What isn't there to get? IU simply cannot afford to hire somebody who "might" work out. Dusty May is a complete roll of the dice. Our last two hires have been complete roll of the dices and have ended about how you'd expect. 

Well that's rich.

Tell me then, who in the hell is this viable candidate who will work out; who is that 100% guarantee?

• Beard, who was fired from his last job?
  • Pearl, who is 64 and already makes about $6.5 million? Did you realize that going into this season his conference record at Auburn was 79-80?
  • Maybe you think Bill Self, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, or Mark Few is coming to IU? 

You'd be happy with Mick Cronin at $6-7 million annually? Okay, at least I can see that if I squint reallllly hard. He's 13-11 this year with the best talent roster in his conference; in other words, not as good as Woodson. Is that it?

I'll ask the same question I asked on the other board a few weeks ago: If you were Scott Dolson or simply the IU AD and your livelihood (job status) was dependent on the success of the next basketball hire, is Dusty May your guy? Would you bet your job on Dusty May elevating IU's basketball program? If your answer is yes then you're lying to yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well that's rich.

Tell me then, who in the hell is this viable candidate who will work out; who is that 100% guarantee?

• Beard, who was fired from his last job?
  • Pearl, who is 64 and already makes about $6.5 million?
  • Maybe you think Bill Self, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, or Mark Few is coming to IU? 

You'd be happy with Mick Cronin at $6-7 million annually? Okay, at least I can see that if I squint reallllly hard. He's 13-11 this year with the best talent roster in his conference; in other words, not as good as Woodson. Is that it?

I've been saying it for 3 weeks. Chris Beard would be the one and only candidate if I were in charge of the athletics department. And if I was handcuffed by the IU president and BoT I'd tell them not only are you going to have to find a new basketball coach on your own, you're going to have to find a new AD while you're at it. 

12 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I'll ask the same question I asked on the other board a few weeks ago: If you were Scott Dolson or simply the IU AD and your livelihood (job status) was dependent on the success of the next basketball hire, is Dusty May your guy? Would you bet your job on Dusty May elevating IU's basketball program? If your answer is yes then you're lying to yourself. 

Yes. And I'm not lying to myself. And that incorporates my belief that there are no guarantees. Because ... realism.

And besides, I call bullshirt.

All you're doing is nay-saying the pretty much universally recognized best mid-major candidate without daring to offer a VIABLE alternative.

2 minutes ago, SamIam said:

He's literally one of the hottest names for every opening this year....not exactly a nepotism hire. 

Then let someone like Florida State or West Virginia hire him and if in 5-6 years down the road IU is looking for a new coach and he's proven his worth at a P5 school, then offer him the job. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes.

And besides, I call bullshirt.

All you're doing is nay-saying the pretty much universally recognized best mid-major candidate without daring to offer a VIABLE alternative.

Viable alternative? I've come back to the same candidate for the last month. Chris Beard is only an unrealistic candidate by the grace of choice. 

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Because his resume/experience doesn't warrant a job of Indiana's magnitude, fluke F4 run be damned. 

Assistants that received high major head coaching jobs without previous head coach experience. 

1. Izzo
  2. Jim Boeheim
  3. Jon Scheyer
  4. Roy Williams
  5. Hubert Davis
  6. Tommy Lloyd
  7. Greg Gard

If these guys can succeed without being a head coach, I think Dusty's resume would be just fine.  

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Well I've got bad news for you - your "100%" will work candidate WAS FIRED from his last job for an arrest and a bad reputation for drunkenness. And he says he still drinks.

And he's taking a team that won 12 games last year to the NCAAT. IU's tournament bubble burst before the start of the calendar year. 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Then let someone like Florida State or West Virginia hire him and if in 5-6 years down the road IU is looking for a new coach and he's proven his worth at a P5 school, then offer him the job. 

Those ARE Power 5 schools.

And they are Power 5 schools that have had better resumes than Indiana for the past ten years. 

So if he succeeds at one of those places? Then he is no longer a viable candidate for the Indiana job.

Just now, JF87 said:

Assistants that received high major head coaching jobs without previous head coach experience. 

1. Izzo
  2. Jim Boeheim
  3. Jon Scheyer
  4. Roy Williams
  5. Hubert Davis
  6. Tommy Lloyd
  7. Greg Gard

If these guys can succeed without being a head coach, I think Dusty's resume would be just fine.  

Now list literally the 200-300 up and comers/assistants the last 20 years who have flamed out before year 5 at a bigger school. You listed the exceptions to the rule, not the norm. 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

And he's taking a team that won 12 games last year to the NCAAT. IU's tournament bubble burst before the start of the calendar year. 

Yes, he's had one good year since he WAS FIRED FROM HIS LAST JOB.

Because the off-court stuff that is a hell-scape of bad news counts.

Besides, I asked you to name a viable candidate that you'd approve of. Hell, Brad Stevens and Jay Wright have a better chance of being the next IU basketball coach than Chris Beard.

So, I'll ask you once more - name a VIABLE candidate that you would be really happy with.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Those ARE Power 5 schools.

And they are Power 5 schools that have had better resumes than Indiana for the past ten years. 

So if he succeeds at one of those places? Then he is no longer a viable candidate for the Indiana job.

Neither of those schools have anywhere CLOSE to the expectations as Indiana. X's and O's is only a fraction of what it takes to succeed in Bloomington. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think one former basketball manager would love to hire another former basketball manager as the next coach. It's just getting everyone else on board. 

You think there's any chance Dusty would bring back Fife if he ever gets the job?

May-Lewis-Fife-Guyton.png