Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

I don’t know about every coach, just know that Tommy Lloyd isn’t leaving Arizona to come coach IU with the Gonzaga job opening in the next few years.

Are you Tommy Lloyd? If the answer is “no”, then you don’t really know what he would do.

7 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Are you Tommy Lloyd? If the answer is “no”, then you don’t really know what he would do.

I’m not Tommy Lloyd and am very comfortable stating he isn’t leaving Arizona to come coach IU aside from a $10mil/yr contract that IU doesn’t have to offer.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It seemed like the Boogie Fland commitment to Kentucky was the beginning of momentum swing towards suck.  Things were ratcheting up until that moment and have been in free fall since. 

As great as McNeely, Queen, Fland are,  And believe me they are all really good, thinking those guys carries us to a top 10 team all as freshman in todays game is fools gold anyway. That’s not college basketball RN. Look at the current UK roster to demonstrate it best. They are absolutely loaded with young talent. You can’t really have more.  And see what it gets you. Gotta use the portal like a freaking samurai or internally build. But both really and have a vision and plan. 

UK so has two 5 year seniors starting 

52 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Tommy Lloyd? Seems to have a good thing going at Arizona, but may as well reach out. Drew has done pretty well at Baylor, that'd be interesting.

I'd like to see more of May, same as I said about Miller,  but I could easily see someone making a move for him after this year.

Lloyd is a West coast guy and the Arizona job is better.

Drew isn't leaving Baylor because he has won there and has no pressure.

Beard should never be considered 

28 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I wonder if there's any chance Mark Few wants a change of scenery after this season.

The only thing he's missing on his resume is that national title, and maybe he thinks that opportunity has come and gone at Gonzaga.

At 61, it's now or never for him.

Not a chance,

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I’m not Tommy Lloyd and am very comfortable stating he isn’t leaving Arizona to come coach IU aside from a $10mil/yr offer that IU doesn’t have to offer.

You don’t know that IU doesn’t have $10M a year to offer, but thank you for proving my point. If we are serious about winning, we offer big money and expect results commiserate with the money we are offering. I know the idea of paying for performance is a crazy idea, but it just might be crazy enough to work.

Just now, BleedCubbieBlue said:

You don’t know that IU doesn’t have $10M a year to offer, but thank you for proving my point. If we are serious about winning, we offer big money and expect results commiserate with the money we are offering. I know the idea of paying for performance is a crazy idea, but it just might be crazy enough to work.

Overpaying for a coach who isn’t coming here in the first place doesn’t mean we’re serious about winning. 

Hiring Pearl or Beard on the other hand is and it wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg either. Both want to be here.

At a certain point we as fans have to accept that the IU administration doesn’t care enough to be an elite basketball program. They are perfectly happy turning a profit and running a squeaky clean program that they can virtue signal about. 

How much more proof beyond the fact they hired Mike freaking Woodson do you need? 

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Overpaying for a coach who isn’t coming here in the first place doesn’t mean we’re serious about winning. 

Hiring Pearl or Beard on the other hand is and it wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg either. Both want to be here.

You don’t know who will and won’t come here. Paying top money for a coach demonstrates that you are serious about winning. Holding that coach accountable for the results on the court reinforces that message. 

I wonder if there's any chance Mark Few wants a change of scenery after this season.
The only thing he's missing on his resume is that national title, and maybe he thinks that opportunity has come and gone at Gonzaga.
At 61, it's now or never for him.

He sure as hell isn’t betting on Indiana getting him there lol

Sent from my Fisher-Price Flip Phone

Just now, BleedCubbieBlue said:

You don’t know who will and won’t come here. Paying top money for a coach demonstrates that you are serious about winning. Holding that coach accountable for the results on the court reinforces that message. 

Tommy Lloyd received a blessing from Mark Few and Gonzaga to go get head coaching experience before being named successor. Lloyd isn’t coming to IU, stop talking about it lol.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

At a certain point we as fans have to accept tht the IU administration doesn’t care enough to be an elite basketball program. They are perfectly happy turning a profit and running a squeaky clean program that they can virtue signal about. 

How much more proof beyond the fact they hired Mike freaking Woodson do you need? 

I am going to use the fact that they tried to pay top money to Stevens as proof that they actually want to win. I will admit hiring Woodson was a terrible pivot from an otherwise good strategy, but they have the opportunity to rectify that situation with the next hire.

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Tommy Lloyd received a blessing from Mark Few and Gonzaga to go get head coaching experience before being named successor. Lloyd isn’t coming to IU, stop talking about it lol.

I don’t care if it is Tommy Lloyd or any other winning coach. You admitted that Lloyd would come here if we offered $10M a year and I suspect that other top coaches would do the same. So offer top money and get a top coach.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

IndyResident16-

you have 6 million a year to offer. Let’s hear your first 5 calls.  In order if you well please. I’m genuinely curious. 

Chris Beard

Chris Beard

Chris Beard

Chris Beard

Chris Beard

And you’d still have money left over.

7 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I am going to use the fact that they tried to pay top money to Stevens as proof that they actually want to win. I will admit hiring Woodson was a terrible pivot from an otherwise good strategy, but they have the opportunity to rectify that situation with the next hire.

I mean, your “fact” has been confirmed by nothing more than internet rumors. Even if it is true, Mike Woodson as their #2 option wasn’t a winning mentality and frankly doesn’t even make sense. How do you pivot from offering Brad Stevens $7 million to hiring Mike Woodson? 

And even if they want to win, they only want to win by their rules, rules which are nearly impossible to win under in college basketball and which require a top-tier coach. Yet top-tier coaches won’t come here because they can go to other schools where they won’t be forced to win with one hand tied behind their back. 

25 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Ideally, Woodson wouldn't need to be fired because he'd decide to retire. I don't see that happening though. His ego is too big and he's too stubborn. 

I agree with all of this other than I actually think he'll walk away. He does not look like he's enjoying this experience, and he certainly doesn't need the money. He wants IU to win and he isn't getting us there.