Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

I think this helps the case of firing him if anything. A good coach should take this team to the Sweet 16. If he doesn’t make the Sweet 16 this season, fire him.   

The NIL support has made it possible to buy this roster. Now just hire a great coach. 

With the talent the nil is getting him. anything less than a sweet sixeteen is not meeting expectations in year four. Really should win 25 games. A 22-13 type record would be underachieving imo. Ballo replaces ware but ballo doesn't have wares range he is just a down low guy. Still no shooters  

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Trish said:

I think this helps the case of firing him if anything. A good coach should take this team to the Sweet 16. If he doesn’t make the Sweet 16 this season, fire him. 

The NIL support has made it possible to buy this roster. Now just hire a great coach. 

Maybe a great cbb coach and great NBA GM?

34 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

With the talent the nil is getting him. anything less than a sweet sixeteen is not meeting expectations in year four. Really should win 25 games. A 22-13 type record would be underachieving imo. Ballo replaces ware but ballo doesn't have wares range he is just a down low guy. Still no shooters  

I tend to agree IF we get a couple shooters.  Otherwise this team isn't different enough from last year's.  Or if Reneau becomes a stretch 4 in the offseason, which would make sense considering it is likely his only path to the league.

1 hour ago, IndianaSconnie90 said:

If this team weren't coached by Woodson I'd actually be excited about this pickup. Unfortunately, we're stuck with what looks to be a very familiar roster and offensive gameplan

Remember what Bob Knight said about Dale Brown?

(“It didn’t look good,” Knight said. “In fact, my assistants had just about given up, and so had I. Then I looked down toward the other bench, and I saw Dale Brown standing there. I knew then that we had a chance.” )

That's exactly how I feel about Mediocre Mike Woodson. The Cooks and Simons can buy him all of the talent in the world, but Woodson will still screw it up. He can't coach his way out of the proverbial paper bag.

Remember what Bob Knight said about Dale Brown?

(“It didn’t look good,” Knight said. “In fact, my assistants had just about given up, and so had I. Then I looked down toward the other bench, and I saw Dale Brown standing there. I knew then that we had a chance.” )

That's exactly how I feel about Mediocre Mike Woodson. The Cooks and Simons can buy him all of the talent in the world, but Woodson will still screw it up. He can't coach his way out of the proverbial paper bag.

Like calipari top talent every year and couldn't get out of the first round the last 4 years

5 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Realistically I now highly doubt Woodson gets fired after next season. With Ballo, Rice and Tucker (and more to come from the portal) added to Bako et al., the team should (should) be in the hunt for a B1G title, and regardless will likely do well and get at least a couple of NCAA tourney wins. The U won't fire him if that happens - and it is likely to happen.

Do I think the U should move on from Woodson? Yes. But just don't see it now. 

Really, really hope Woodson finally learns what the arc is, so we can actually get past the 2nd round, but we'll likely be a good team regardless

I think it was always going to be that way once they were stupid enough to bring him back. If he so much as made the tournament, even just barely, they'd look for an excuse to bearing him back. IU has shown they're too concerned with optics and they would not want the black eye of firing a program legend.

13 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I think it was always going to be that way once they were stupid enough to bring him back. If he so much as made the tournament, even just barely, they'd look for an excuse to bearing him back. IU has shown they're too concerned with optics and they would not want the black eye of firing a program legend.

Cant really argue with that either. But, he did so poorly in the portal last season and completely blew the 2024 class recruiting that for me the jury was out on whether he was largely a lame duck coach. Got a real boost with the late 5 star commit and then nailed the portal. So maybe that was kind of destined, he’d hit the portal hard out of necessity. 

Side note. iPhone programmer joke? Every time i type duck my phone changes it to fuc_ 

lol

Here’s some semi-drunk ramblings on this dormant subject…

I was on the fire Woody bandwagon at the end of the season.  Things just looked bleak.  But I’ll be damned, he and the money bags have surprised me and at least salvaged a talented and interesting team for next year.  

The coaching this last year was beyond frustrating.  Woody’s scheme is archaic… and I’m not sure you can teach an old dog new tricks.  The one glimmer of hope is his 2012-13 Knicks team that finished 2nd in the East shot and made more 3 pointers than any team in the NBA.  His other 2 seasons in NY they were in the top quarter of the league in both categories.  We don’t have the roster to do that necessarily, but it shows that he at least must understand the value of the 3 point shot.  

The other wild thing is he’s probably our best in game coach since Sampson or maybe even Knight, which underscores the kind of brain drain we’ve witnessed the last couple decades.  

I’m hoping for a contender or a flame out.  If we have a marginal tourney team, I’m worried Woody continues to skate by.  Let’s just make a hard turn in one direction or the other so we can at least make the decision easy for the admin and save all of us the unwanted anxiety.

I’d settle for us being in the top half of the COUNTRY in regards to taking and defending the three point line. We’re so far behind in those areas in all 3 of his seasons that it makes no sense, and talent was never the issue when we had guys like Kopp and Parker Stewart on the floor at the same time. 

If Woodson still thinks it’s not his job to get guys shots then he needs to go. I’ll still cheer for the team this season but at some point we’ve gotta do the things that the other winning programs do, not what Mike Woodson thinks works because he saw it work in the NBA. College is a different game and should be treated as such.

2 hours ago, Juwan Moye said:

I’d settle for us being in the top half of the COUNTRY in regards to taking and defending the three point line. We’re so far behind in those areas in all 3 of his seasons that it makes no sense, and talent was never the issue when we had guys like Kopp and Parker Stewart on the floor at the same time. 

If Woodson still thinks it’s not his job to get guys shots then he needs to go. I’ll still cheer for the team this season but at some point we’ve gotta do the things that the other winning programs do, not what Mike Woodson thinks works because he saw it work in the NBA. College is a different game and should be treated as such.

Hey ... relax (j/k) ... "we just have to make shots"

You would think with Baso inside, he will not need help with double teaming where our wings or guards drop off their man to help and then watch their man drain one three after another. So I recommend on a daily basis Woodson show film of UCONN defending the PUkes since he cannot seem to teach what needs to be done.

Maybe the team is more 'visual' and can learn how to do it by watching UCONN defend the 3 and limiting the PUkes only 7 three point shots the whole game.

I’d be shocked if Woodson abandons his nail-slot-rim defense. And yeah, it’s a sieve for giving up three point shots.

It’s exacerbated by playing “big” with Mgbako at the 3 and Malik at the 4. So we control the paint but no one cares, they just launch wide open threes to beat us.

3 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

I’d be shocked if Woodson abandons his nail-slot-rim defense. And yeah, it’s a sieve for giving up three point shots.

It’s exacerbated by playing “big” with Mgbako at the 3 and Malik at the 4. So we control the paint but no one cares, they just launch wide open threes to beat us.

Kind of what these two said

9 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

That's my best guess.  Best case scenario is we are about as good as in '23 but we get run of the floor by teams that can push it and shoot 3s.

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Kind of what these two said

They focused on the offensive end but yeah, its the same issue on both sides of the ball.

We don’t have to “prioritize” the three on both sides but we have to at least be competent at it on both sides. If we went 3 guards with Mgbako at the 4 and Ballo at the 5 that still PLENTY of size while also obviously addressing our biggest weakness on both sides of the ball.

Give me a Rice, Carlyle, (shooter), Mgbako, Ballo lineup and we’ve got a top-25 team. I’m less sure about that if we’re playing Ballo and Reneau together big minutes barring another major leap from Reneau, especially on the perimeter on both sides of the ball.

8 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

They focused on the offensive end but yeah, its the same issue on both sides of the ball.

We don’t have to “prioritize” the three on both sides but we have to at least be competent at it on both sides. If we went 3 guards with Mgbako at the 4 and Ballo at the 5 that still PLENTY of size while also obviously addressing our biggest weakness on both sides of the ball.

Give me a Rice, Carlyle, (shooter), Mgbako, Ballo lineup and we’ve got a top-25 team. I’m less sure about that if we’re playing Ballo and Reneau together big minutes barring another major leap from Reneau, especially on the perimeter on both sides of the ball.

That's why my first get in the offseason would have been a shooter. We have to start having an offense that gets up 20-25 threes a game. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

That's why my first get in the offseason would have been a shooter. We have to start having an offense that gets up 20-25 threes a game. 

For the first time ever I agreed with Goodman ... go get the shooter from Stanford, no matter the cost.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I mean, I think it depends on the "shooter" It is just my opinion but...

I would personally rather have guards/wings who can score at all three levels and a 5 as the priority over everyone else. Once those are filled, then you add a guy who can stretch the floor as his role.

Just looking at the National Championship game, Loyer and Karaban were the best shooters on the floor. They had little to no impact in that game. Did they help their teams get there? of course. But it was the dynamic guards and dominant post players that made them so good.

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I mean, I think it depends on the "shooter" It is just my opinion but...

I would personally rather have guards/wings who can score at all three levels and a 5 as the priority over everyone else. Once those are filled, then you add a guy who can stretch the floor as his role.

Just looking at the National Championship game, Loyer and Karaban were the best shooters on the floor. They had little to no impact in that game. Did they help their teams get there? of course. But it was the dynamic guards and dominant post players that made them so good.

And excellent defense against the 3 ball.  

3 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

And excellent defense against the 3 ball.  

Yep, that too. Which was a product of the dynamic guards/wings.