Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

It was a meniscus tear, right? Rehab is typically 4-6 weeks of PT after surgery. To still be on crutches raises a bit of concern.

Yes, I went through this surgery. I'm guessing he has to be on his last week or two. 

Woodson said from day one that he would recruit talent. He just didn't tell us he didn't know how to use them.
Talent only gets you so far. Look at kentucky the last five years. You can overwhelm bad competition but against better teams you actually need a good coach.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is just me personally but if we wanted to keep the current players we did, then I would have gone out and got Conwell and the kid from Evansville first thing. You have your dominant post player in Reneau, then he is surrounded by guys who can shoot the 3 and get to the basket. The offense would have been much more smooth and fluid

Are you talking about Ben Humrichous? I saw him play a few times this past season. Credit to Coach David Ragland and his staff for upping his game because he was definitely a positive for UE. But honestly, I'm not sure he'd fit with IUBB well. It's possible, but I think he might be a liability on the defensive side of the ball. No knock on him, he was fun to watch this year and a breath of fresh air for UE basketball in general. Hope he lands somewhere and continues to get better. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

There are no flawless players. There are players that are great fits and good for the style of play for your team. 

So, we appear to be rolling the dice that the flaws of three excellent college players, Rice, Ballo, and (likely) Carlyle will be overcome by their positive attributes:

• For Carlyle and Ballo especially, the upside is defense, motor, and quickness for their size.
  • For Rice, it's leadership and quickness.
  • For Rice and Carlyle, it's shot making. Damn, we needed some shot makers - guys who don't need to be wide open or be the beneficiary of a good offensive action to create offense. Last year only Reneau really brought that.
  • For all three, they have proven P5 success.
  • For Rice and Ballo, an upside is 2 PT fg percentage.
  • Downside? For all three, it's 3 point percentage (somewhat less so for Carlyle). Only Ballo is a crappy FT shooter.

We are rolling with them while taking on the risk that Rice and Carlyle's three point percentage may or may not improve. Seems to me like a reasonable risk to take on.

Certainly a reasonable take, which I why I remain cautiously optimistic.  

13 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Are you talking about Ben Humrichous? I saw him play a few times this past season. Credit to Coach David Ragland and his staff for upping his game because he was definitely a positive for UE. But honestly, I'm not sure he'd fit with IUBB well. It's possible, but I think he might be a liability on the defensive side of the ball. No knock on him, he was fun to watch this year and a breath of fresh air for UE basketball in general. Hope he lands somewhere and continues to get better. 

OK good to know. I will admit all I know is he's working out for NBA teams and can shoot the 3 well for a kid being 6'8. Sounds like if he comes back to college he will be visiting IU and ILL

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Certainly a reasonable take, which I why I remain cautiously optimistic.  

Optimistic but not convinced? Exactly.

It does seem clear to me that Rice and (hopefully) Carlyle will significantly raise our floor for next season; in large part because last year, we won 19 games and were 10-10 in the B1G with a really sad sack guard rotation. It cannot be worse than a freshman Cupps, an injured and offense-lousy X, a turrible Gunn, a limited but game Leal, and Gallo counted on to be our everything. That. Was. Rough.

OK good to know. I will admit all I know is he's working out for NBA teams and can shoot the 3 well for a kid being 6'8. Sounds like if he comes back to college he will be visiting IU and ILL
How much of this 6 million is left or are they now just getting more money? Seems it it would mostly all be spent at this point

3 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

How much of this 6 million is left or are they now just getting more money? Seems it it would mostly all be spent at this point

I don't know specific numbers but I'm guessing we have less than a million. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

How many scholarships do we have left? Frontcourt is looking a little thin with Sparks leaving. Need a couple backup 4s/5s. 

3 but I only expect to get two more players. Shooter and backup center. Then save the last spot for an emergency 

I don't know specific numbers but I'm guessing we have less than a million. 
Wow. God I hate this nil. I figured they would get paid a nominal amount under NIL but this is just turning into the nba 2.0. I cannot even imagine how much more out of control it will be in five years
Guys won't even need to go to the nba anymore.

3 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

That's a great question.

I'll try some guesstimate math based on $6 million total NIL to parse out to 13 players: 

• Ballo - $1.1 million (Goodman reporting that the price for IU was less than others were offering).
  • Reneau, Mgbkao; $650k each
  • Rice, Carlyle; $600k each
  • Galloway, Tucker; $400k each
  • Cupps, Leal, $250k each
  • Newton; $200k

That's a total of $5,100,000 with three spots open. That means we are under the $6,000,000 NIL even if we pay real money to two and leave the 13th spot open. Malone seems reasonably likely and he would be a low cost NIL signee. 

We good.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That's a great question.

I'll try some guesstimate math based on $6 million total NIL to parse out to 13 players: 

• Ballo - $1.1 million (Goodman reporting that the price for IU was less than others were offering).

Well, no other coach in college basketball was likely offering to play the game from the  inside out.

Ballo's mom didn't raise no dummy.

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That's a great question.

• Reneau, Mgbkao; $650k each
  • Rice, Carlyle; $600k each
  • Galloway, Tucker; $400k each
  • Cupps, Leal, $250k each
  • Newton; $200k

That's a total of $5,100,000 with three spots open. That means we are under the $6,000,000 NIL even if we pay real money to two and leave the 13th spot open. Malone seems reasonably likely and he would be a low cost NIL signee. 

We good.

That’s a good attempt at it. 

This is going to need to be annual thing to stay competitive. 

Ballo got 500k more than Malik? Wow.

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Which is kind of insane.  Speaking for myself, I don't see ever donating to the NIL.

Which is kind of insane.  Speaking for myself, I don't see ever donating to the NIL.

And it's only going to he worse imo. I won't ever donate either. If they were getting paid nominal amounts I would but not when they are being paid like professionals. Lower level programs simply don't be able to compete in the long run.