Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Trish said:

If Woodson lands all these portal kids, he’s going to win off a lot of fans. Dolson will be happy. But the fit? I’m not buying it. He continues to pursue kids that don’t solve the biggest issue; shooting. 

I'm not so sure he doesn't want this season to be his swan song!

35 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

And we are arguing over hypotheticals lol. We haven’t landed anyone yet. Let’s argue about the pieces once they play for IU. I like crystal balls as much as the next Hogwarts graduate, but until we know who we have this is all moot. 

And even landing players is probably the easiest part of this. With the NIL bankroll, Woodson was going to land some players. But what will he do with this? We've had talent all three years of Woodson's tenure. So far, we made the play-in game, lost in the round of 32, and missed the tournament. Talent =/= success.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

It costs 0 dollars to use Google and find out that this Travis guy is a national recruiting analyst for 247. If you got real good at using Google, which again is free, you could even find that he’s 203/215 (94.4%) on his picks if you were able to come up with the right search query. 

He does this on multiple boards. Doubles down on dumb. 

“No way IU is getting any good players”

”IU only got good players because of NIL”

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

And even landing players is probably the easiest part of this. With the NIL bankroll, Woodson was going to land some players. But what will he do with this? We've had talent all three years of Woodson's tenure. So far, we made the play-in game, lost in the round of 32, and missed the tournament. Talent =/= success.

Don’t forget one of the worst offenses Indiana has seen in a decade. Also, Indiana is bottom 300 in 3PT attempts. That is absolutely insane. 

12 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I'm confused. If one of the major issues with the current state of Indiana athletics (men's basketball in particular) is the desire to keep the program pick a word - mediocre/marginal/inconsequential, how can there be any legitimate interest in Stevens, Donovan or any other quality coach?

There are a number of posts in this thread alone about how screwed up the administration is, and how the post-Knight years will never allow the program to be "bigger than the university". That seems incredibly incongruous with the resurgence of interest in Brad Stevens.

And now, William Quinn Buckner, who as BoT chair, has driven the Keep Coach Mike Wooden Express for four years now would suddenly shove Woodson aside for Stevens? 

He wants a proven winner and he wants his best friend to get his 4th year.

Quinn & the Simons setup the first meeting at St. Elmo’s with Brad. 

4 minutes ago, Trish said:

Don’t forget one of the worst offenses Indiana has seen in a decade. Also, Indiana is bottom 300 in 3PT attempts. That is absolutely insane. 

That’s every year under Woodson to be honest.  Over 300 on 3s. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Agreed. His son will be at ND this year and his daughter I think will be a junior in high school.

Not that it’s a huge factor or anything but his wife is also still on the BOT’s at Butler. So I could see them wanting to move back closer to home. Especially if the daughter is also going to look at an Indiana school.

10 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Rice, Carlyle, and Mgbako would by far and away be the most dynamic and versatile backcourt Woodson has had in his tenure. He’s essentially had one good guard in 3 years and he was a freshman. Good guard play elevates any system, regardless the style of play.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

It costs 0 dollars to use Google and find out that this Travis guy is a national recruiting analyst for 247. If you got real good at using Google, which again is free, you could even find that he’s 203/215 (94.4%) on his picks if you were able to come up with the right search query. 

So you’re saying we should hang a banner? I don’t follow. I googled Travis and all I got was Kelce & Scott. Had no idea either of them knew CBB. :-)

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Can a player receive NIL and not be on scholarship? I would rather not lose Cupps, but if it was possible, could Leal keep his money, and stay on the team as a non-scholarship player?

You can’t go from scholarship to walk-on and receive money I believe. There is some kind of rule like that. It was talking about one time with Leal.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So you’re saying we should hang a banner? I don’t follow. I googled Travis and all I got was Kelce & Scott. Had no idea either of them knew CBB. :-)

One of these days they’ll get all of our offseason champion banners printed and we’ll have to build a new shiny arena to hold them all. 

If Travises are giving you issues, a good Google query for starters is “Curt Cignetti”. I’ve heard he’s easy to find, can’t remember who told me. 

Getting guys with nil is just going to be the haves vs the have not.
Minnesota just lost a guy to nebraska because they could only give him 100k. Nebraska ponied up 200k. Probably will only get worse for teams with little money.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Rice, Carlyle, and Mgbako would by far and away be the most dynamic and versatile backcourt Woodson has had in his tenure. He’s essentially had one good guard in 3 years and he was a freshman. Good guard play elevates any system, regardless the style of play.

Two words: Coach Woodson.

7 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

The one year IU had a single good guard they were a top 30 offense.

But yeah, Mike Woodson.

And he still crapped the bed in the NCAAT.

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

And he still crapped the bed in the NCAAT.

Which is why significantly upgrading the back court is imperative lol. What do you think he’s doing right now?

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

Not even worth a response

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

I guess I should have done a Google search. I should probably apologize to all for even asking about travis

Actually responding saying it’s not worth a response and referencing the thing not worth responding to in another response is a heck of a way to show something isn’t worth a response. :-)

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

The one year IU had a single good guard they were a top 30 offense.

But yeah, Mike Woodson.

Again I guess it's a debate of what we expect out of the program. You say top 30, I say that's not good enough.  Truth be told I'm more concerned about the defense.  I'll say this. If the perimeter defense is better guarded then my hopes are high that we'll have an ok season.