Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

15 minutes ago, ISP said:

Mid-majors that have made the Final 4 in the past 40 years. I would argue that of all these programs and their prior success, May's may be the most worthy. 

San Diego State (Brian Dutcher )

FAU (Dusty May)

Gonzaga (Mark Few)

Butler (Brad Stevens)

George Mason (Jim Larranaga) 

Loyola-Chicago (Porter Moser)

Wichita State (Gregg Marshall)

Utah (Rick Majeris)

UMass (John Calipari)

UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian)

Memphis State (Dana Kirk) (happened to have Penny Hardaway)

VCU (Shaka Smart)

I genuinely believe they wouldn’t win here. Not at the level we expect.

I think what we’re all confused about is the logic behind this? They have put up a few stinkers but they have by far better wins than us this year and played Illinois about like we did at a neutral court. If you supplement our current roster with a few objectively great guards they have, why would they not win? The numbers, analytics, and eye test say you are wrong but we all know there can be no compromise in your thinking. I’ll hang up and listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I genuinely believe they wouldn’t win here. Not at the level we expect.

Eh you add johnell who’s an all American along with Reneau and mcneely you have a pretty good core right there. I don’t know if Goldin is good enough for the big ten but transfer portal can get you another big. Think we’d surely be better than this year. 

30 minutes ago, ISP said:

Mid-majors that have made the Final 4 in the past 40 years. I would argue that of all these programs and their prior success, May's may be the most worthy. 

FAU (Dusty May)

Gonzaga (Mark Few)

Butler (Brad Stevens)

Utah (Rick Majeris)

UMass (John Calipari)

UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian)

I would argue of this bunch, Few is the most accomplished. By far. Has made repeated deep runs in the NCAAs. Went to the title game twice -- once with an unbeaten team. 

FYI -- Kirk's Final Four team at Memphis was a few years before Penny. In fact, Kirk never coached Penny. He left a few years before Penny arrived. Cal took Memphis to the title game with Derrick Rose as his main piece (another mid-major FF appearance). 

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

All very fair as you usually are. I am just so far from sold. Again, for me it is an odds game and would rather wait for better odds.

I am not some big Woody fan believe it or not. I just think things are never bad as they seem or good as they seem. Think some of this anger is manufactured and/or he is being blamed for all the years of sucking as a program.  That our fanbase is doing itself no favors right now. We would do the same to the next guy and the next guy. 

Yes, the long 2s are stupid. At same time, that is big part of what worked against Purdue last year with JHS doing it. They tried to do the same thing with MM early he could hit or make right reads consistently. Had a couple good ones. Then they tried with Trey some in that role. When fans say “what was the plan” - was easy for me to see that was it. 

But in general, it is 100% dumb but I have seen him bench Cupps, MM and Gunn all 3 for doing it. He is out of options some times. Yes, he created this roster mess. 

Now yes I agree with all of this. I also don't think it is as bad as most think. I do think it's built up frustrations over the years. I think a lot of people understood playing two big men with TJD and Race. But thought we would get to a more modern offense this season when it has been the same thing. A lot of it is not hitting shots but also a lot of his is not putting shooters in a position to be successful. Just things like that are frustrating. If he is willing to change, then he could be here for 3-4 more years but it needs to start asap

34 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

Not saying it’s Dusty, but you could grow the perfect coach in a lab and have him tailor made to take over the program and some would say that we have no idea what we’re talking about…
12d3df6ee85ceb19b0fb3bef64481596.jpg

Maybe you are on to something, now think outside the box.  Cloning?  Why can’t we get the DNA from 3-4 of the best coaches in CBB history, RMK, Wooden, Iba, Coach K, etc… and clone us one perfect coach, that may satisfy our fanbase!

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

One big difference here is Dusty lives in gyms. Woodson doesn't think he needs to go to HS gyms to recruit kids. He still says as early as last week that IU recruits itself to HS kids in the state of Indiana. 

Yikes.  Nothing like not being able to adapt. 

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Because I have watched them and tried to get behind this idea and can’t see it. The competition level is not the same night in and night out. 

You said they played ILL about like us. Yeah and we also were missing Ware and no matter how you frame it, that isn’t good enough for what we expect by in large as a fanbase. 

They did get lucky. Memphis hits that shot and they are out early, people are barely talking about them this year with how they have performed. It is not consistent enough for long enough time, against night in and night out quality competition.

If IU played their schedule, you honestly don’t believe they have a better or minimum equal record? So they are about the same team but we want to fire Woody over it and hire this guy? If Woody had not been so aggressive with our schedule you have to wonder how different the narrative is. Take 2 of the Auburn, Kansas, UConn games and make them mid level wins and we are on bubble and in with a strong finish. 

Lastly, it is wrong to assume you would retain any of our guys. Maybe Trey, Leal and Cupps. Rest are gone. He would have to find other pieces and don’t think he has the cred to pull them in year one. So his roster coming with him doesn’t get it done. 

You want to do it, give me Shrews or Schertz. Better odds it works but still don’t love it. 

No we would not have their record. We barely could beat army earlier this year. The big ten sucks this year and we’re still not very good. I’m not as sold as dusty as some but you’re looking at him with the worst lens possible and looking at Woodson with only the best which i don’t think is fair. I also prefer scherz but i think dusty can succeed here.

52 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I'm convinced. The one attribute we've missed with all of our coaches since Knight was that ability to not be stubborn and ask  "how can I get better".  Frankly this is the one quality that's missing in many professions.  

That is what separates the men from the boys.  

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Ok, I am replying to basically the same thing but zero chance McNeely or Malik stay if Woody is out. Zero. If this is fans logic and reason for wanting it done, yeah, no way. I would be on board with that, sure but that is fantasy football thinking. 

Why is it zero? Dusty kept his entire team this year when I’m sure bigger names were calling. Malik would thrive with more space around him and McNeely as a shooter sure fits Dusty’s offense better than whatever Mike runs. I’m not sure Malik stays with Mike another year. Other schools will definitely call and i would listen if i was him

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

They did get lucky. Memphis hits that shot and they are out early, people are barely talking about them this year with how they have performed

You can say that about basically any team that makes a run.    If Edney doesn’t go coast to coast in 5 sec against  Missouri in the second round then ucla doesn’t win a national championship.   Almost  Every team gets lucky in the tourney so not taking that away from them.   IU was lucky in 87 in the Elite 8 to even make a Final 4 and then got really lucky Coleman didn’t hit a FT.   

3 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Then you don’t know this fanbase. Not even a question how they would react. that pressure would be massive. You already had one reply above say. 1 bad year, year 2 tourney, never look back of get out 

I would be fine with that but 90% of the fans would not be. They would be losing it after every game, tweeting at players, the staff, etc. saying it was a fluke. Who loses to Bryant? That isn’t IU level of good. Mid major coach showing his true colors. 

I think I know the fan base since I been part of it for 50 years. If we went to the final four and then the next year we were 19-5 and first place in the conference we would be ecstatic

44 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

X and Trey are 100% the reason we couldn’t land the top talent last year. The most in the know guys keep repeating this but fans don’t want to believe it. 

You do realize how pathetic that statement is don’t you.  Hell I’m not scared of X and Trey.  Hard to believe a D1 caliber guard would be.  How soft is the youth of today?  

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

You do realize how pathetic that statement is don’t you.  Hell I’m not scared of X and Trey.  Hard to believe a D1 caliber guard would be.  How soft is the youth of today?  

I've felt for awhile now the lack of adding any guards last spring had a lot less to do with guards not wanting to play here and a lot more to do with Woodson not wanting to put in the effort to get them here. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

This thread is moving so fast, I love it!  I certainly can't keep up, so sorry if it's been mentioned.  Remember Mike Davis' final year at IU?  The heat was on him for sucking so bad that he called in sick for our home game against Steve Alford's Hawkeyes.  He said he was sick, but if your job is on the line are you calling in sick?  He was let go soon after 

Now Woody's done the same thing on the coaches show?  It's over!!  Hooray

Even in that year we got to the second round of the tournament 

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

And we beat FGCU that they lost to so…. They also lost to Bryant, to Charlotte, UAB. All 4 of those IU wins and while we may have lost a few they won, it is a toss up at best. 

They lost on the road at FGCU and IU won at home by 8.   Can’t say for sure they would  of won that game.  Really not seeing how you can say IU would win all 4 of those games.    UAB and Charlotte have a pulse so not terrible teams at all and winning on the road isn’t the easiest.   Charlotte is a surprise team this year they have been unexpectedly fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, ISP said:

FAU (Dusty May)

Gonzaga (Mark Few)

Butler (Brad Stevens)

Utah (Rick Majeris)

UMass (John Calipari)

UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian)

Dana Kirk didn't have Penny Hard away. He made the final four in 85 with Keith Lee

I would probably prefer Oats as a sure thing hire. I don’t even think he would leave but you never know. My bigger concern is Dusty May turning out to be the real thing and I think he probably is, and we missing him by one season. I think he leaves this year for a big time school.

25 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Because I have watched them and tried to get behind this idea and can’t see it. The competition level is not the same night in and night out. 

You said they played ILL about like us. Yeah and we also were missing Ware and no matter how you frame it, that isn’t good enough for what we expect by in large as a fanbase. 

They did get lucky. Memphis hits that shot and they are out early, people are barely talking about them this year with how they have performed. It is not consistent enough for long enough time, against night in and night out quality competition.

If IU played their schedule, you honestly don’t believe they have a better or minimum equal record? So they are about the same team but we want to fire Woody over it and hire this guy? If Woody had not been so aggressive with our schedule you have to wonder how different the narrative is. Take 2 of the Auburn, Kansas, UConn games and make them mid level wins and we are on bubble and in with a strong finish. 

Lastly, it is wrong to assume you would retain any of our guys. Maybe Trey, Leal and Cupps. Rest are gone. He would have to find other pieces and don’t think he has the cred to pull them in year one. So his roster coming with him doesn’t get it done. 

You want to do it, give me Shrews or Schertz. Better odds it works but still don’t love it. 

IU fans love to eat their own. IU fans never like to root for fellow Hoosiers. I'm kidding