Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I have 2 questions for anybody wanting to fire Woodson. 

1) Do you honestly think we will get somebody better? 
2) do you think the administration will even try this time while hiring 

1) Yes, easily. Woodson isn’t qualified to run the program. He had zero job market before Indiana, no one was running to his front door to hire him to run a college program. Indiana can and will do much better for the next hire. 

2) Yes. This is Dolson’s last hire. If he messes this up, he will be relieved of his duties. 

22 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I think there have been some travel issues for games -- they have had several Tuesday games.    

Right.  But in the past the coach would pre-record the show with Fisch.  

I just wish Coach would talk ball.  Enough of the cliches… talk ball, coach.  It’s what the people want to hear.  

Right.  But in the past the coach would pre-record the show with Fisch.  

I just wish Coach would talk ball.  Enough of the cliches… talk ball, coach.  It’s what the people want to hear.  

We do almost everything strategically backwards. (Shoot 2 many long 2’s, dont crash the offensive glass, don’t shoot enough 3’s, no read and react offense, overhelp on D, fail to boxout, never take advantage of 2 for 1 opportunities, etc, etc). Can you imagine that being put into words?

Seriously though, listen to Painter talk basketball and it won’t shock you the success they have.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We do almost everything strategically backwards. (Shoot 2 many long 2’s, dont crash the offensive glass, don’t shoot enough 3’s, no read and react offense, overhelp on D, fail to boxout, never take advantage of 2 for 1 opportunities, etc, etc). Can you imagine that being put into words?

Seriously though, listen to Painter talk basketball and it won’t shock you the success they have.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Sounds like Indiana hired someone who coached basketball from 2007-2013. 

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

This is why I believe -

Woody can and will turn it around. He made some mistakes and contrary to popular belief, he will make some changes to ensure a better result.

it is much easier for this program to allow Woody another year to get it right, have some recruiting continuity, better chance to retain some key pieces, win some games and go back to tourney. Then while this is happening, you work hard at locking in the right guy. Much healthier.

I do not believe the common troupe of “portal makes it easy to rebuild” - plenty of early examples showing that to not be true. Even the early return for few examples are starting to fall quick and won’t make tourney (St John, Ole Miss etc) 

For those saying we have to anyway, you don’t know that and is also easier to get some pieces when you have Malik, McNeely, most likely Queen etc to show guards. All those guys are gone if you move on and you don’t build better or faster than giving him a year to finish what he started.

Lastly, all those Dusty fans should officially be scared as hell that Goodman loves him so much and was selling him that hard. He loved Archie, loved Holtman, etc. just saying. Kiss of death.

The other guys know this could fail and it is bad move. 

I'm not sure Woodson can turn his car around... doubtful he can make anything positive out of this season... 

Give him another year so he can underachieve again...

You talk about "recruiting continuity" but Woodson has ONE signee for next year... where are the players going to come from if not the portal? So if it won't work for a new coach rebuilding IU, why do you think it will work for Woodson to miraculously turn this thing around...

He's driven the program into the ground with his lack of talent evaluation (X and Gallo were never going to save this team), his lack of recruiting serviceable guards, his inability to see the problems and correct them, and his arrogance, etc, etc, etc.

Queen ain't coming, and even if he did, he's not going to change anything... we have Ware now, but no guards... and Woodson is hell bent on playing two big men, or, wait, is it not his style again? Not sure Woodson even knows... all we hear are "injuries", "young team", "gotta get 'em over the hump" and "not gonna throw my team under the bus, but..." ... we're 24 games into the season and the team is floundering badly...  he can't even show up for his weekly radio show to face the fans...

It's time to just rip the bandaid off and be done with it.

1 hour ago, Solsberryberries said:

What’s the deal with the coach’s show this year?

Not only has the show been cut back (not every week now), Woody isn’t even batting .500 for making an appearance.  He’s been present for 2 full coaching shows since the turn of the new year.  I thought this was a major part of his salary?

I'm sure it would be for any other coach... but Quinn has his back... it's all good... 

47 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I think there have been some travel issues for games -- they have had several Tuesday games.    

There's no game until Sunday, and there's no travel involved, except from the Woodson palatial mansion to SSAH.

30 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As the cult classic “White Men Can’t Jump” states, “even the Sun shines on a dog’s @$$ some days.”

Don’t give up hope y’all, never give up hope.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I have a dog.

I am confident the sun shines in his @$$ just about every day,

:)

49 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

1. yes... not hard to top Woodson's effort

2. not sure they tried 3 years ago... Woodson was served up by Buckner, and this is the mess we got.

20 minutes ago, Trish said:

Sounds like Indiana hired someone who coached basketball from 2007-2013. 

You know the weird thing is we play nothing like his Knicks teams. Those teams were top 5 in 3 point attempts for the 2.5 years he was there and his best year they lead the league. Someone has to ask Mike why his system now is so different than how he said we’d play at his opening press conference and even when he had his most successful season with the Knicks.

23 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

There's no game until Sunday, and there's no travel involved, except from the Woodson palatial mansion to SSAH.

Right, but I was answering the other guy’s question.  No clue on this week. 

18 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

You know the weird thing is we play nothing like his Knicks teams. Those teams were top 5 in 3 point attempts for the 2.5 years he was there and his best year they lead the league. Someone has to ask Mike why his system now is so different than how he said we’d play at his opening press conference and even when he had his most successful season with the Knicks.

I think they dis last year.  Something about having TJD and Race.  Zero clue why he didn’t change it up after TJD left. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

1) They hired a guy with zero college experience that hadn't been a HC in almost 10 years solely because he played here 40 years ago. They'd have to grab a shovel to get under that bar.

2) Probably Stevens type pipe dream then say  screw it, ala Woodson hire

Welp, I can tell I think about this topic too much haha: 

last night had a dream that I was at Assembly Hall and we played against ISU. When Schertz walked out onto the floor from the tunnel our crowd stood up and gave him a roaring ovation lol. Then they beat us and as he walked off, our crowd cheered for him again and he waved at the crowd with a big smile. Someone in the seats by me went “that’s the guy a lot of people hope will be our next coach.” 

when I woke up I kinda chuckled and couldn’t believe I just had a dream like that ha. 

12 hours ago, ziggyiu said:

I'm just speculating--I'm not advocating. 

@Chris007 - Do you think Dolson would try to work a coach-in-waiting situation for May? Kind of like a one year deal that smooths the transition? Gives Woodson one more season to get thngs back on track but also secures the future. (Again, in Dolson's mind.) Similar to the Keady, Painter situation? Obviously, Painter had just one year at SIU and then made the jump. May is much more advanced in his career. Curious to get your thoughts. Is this something you think Dolson would pursue? Isbit something either coach would be amenable to?

Once again anything is possible but I'm not sure Woodson would be willing to go for it. Keady-painter already had a relationship. 

I would love it. 

10 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Exactly what I have stated many times and most don’t want to hear it. I am sure they still won’t believe it. This job is not desired. Money doesn’t fix all that. The names that get thrown around have zero desire to be here. Goodman for being an @$$ does talk to all these guys. He knows. 

This is why I believe -

Woody can and will turn it around. He made some mistakes and contrary to popular belief, he will make some changes to ensure a better result.

it is much easier for this program to allow Woody another year to get it right, have some recruiting continuity, better chance to retain some key pieces, win some games and go back to tourney. Then while this is happening, you work hard at locking in the right guy. Much healthier.

I do not believe the common troupe of “portal makes it easy to rebuild” - plenty of early examples showing that to not be true. Even the early return for few examples are starting to fall quick and won’t make tourney (St John, Ole Miss etc) 

For those saying we have to anyway, you don’t know that and is also easier to get some pieces when you have Malik, McNeely, most likely Queen etc to show guards. All those guys are gone if you move on and you don’t build better or faster than giving him a year to finish what he started.

Lastly, all those Dusty fans should officially be scared as hell that Goodman loves him so much and was selling him that hard. He loved Archie, loved Holtman, etc. just saying. Kiss of death.

The other guys know this could fail and it is bad move. 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying except the part about Dusty. He's built so much different than Archie and Holtman. They only thing they have in common is being short blonde white guys.