Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Super nice outside of basketball. I think he thinks he knows more about basketball than anyone else because he's been in the game for so long. But that doesn't mean you know more about basketball. 

Coach Woodson knows 10 times more about basketball than I do, but I am positive he had no idea how TV timeouts worked his first year at IU.  He also doesn't come across as a basketball junkie.  Woodson had no clue what the pack line defense was.  I feel like he never followed the college game once he was in the NBA.  

Just now, Capt. Crimson said:

I bet May gets more than 2.5 mil. Don't disagree though! I was just calling out people have been saying 17 but its actually 8. 

Agreed, just using it as an example of how we could do a lot to assuage fears of him being "unproven" here. 

1 minute ago, 68Hoosier said:

Wasn't saying anything good or bad.  Just nothing stood out as OMG he is great.  

That's fair, but I think 2-22 to Sweet 16 is OMG. Especially with sustained success subsequently to show it wasn't a fluke. In arguably the nation's best conference.

Just now, JF87 said:

Coach Woodson knows 10 times more about basketball than I do, but I am positive he had no idea how TV timeouts worked his first year at IU.  He also doesn't come across as a basketball junkie.  Woodson had no clue what the pack line defense was.  I feel like he never followed the college game once he was in the NBA.  

Not sure he understands momentum either.  He always seems to kill us when we get it going.

1 minute ago, 68Hoosier said:

Wasn't saying anything good or bad.  Just nothing stood out as OMG he is great.  

His team this year is pretty great. If this offense is sustainable I like him more than most of the candidates since he’s shown he’ll have a top 10 defense every year. I think they’re in second place now in the best conference in America. He had a top 10 recruiting class at Iowa st last year also

7 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Outside of 1 NCAA run, what has May accomplished? He feels like Archie but good offense and bad defense. 

Year 1: finalist for Joe B Hall award (best new D1 coach). set FAU record for rebounds and free throw % 

Year 2: First time FAU had 2 consecutive winning seasons in 15 years. Set school record for points per game

Year 3: Highest KenPom rating FAU had ever had, first time FAU had 3 consecutive winning seasons in history

Year 4. 2nd or 3rd in conference , first time in 

Year 5: Final 4 and NCAA champ + multiple coach of the year awards 

Year 6: 20-6 record, 2nd place in conference (moved up to the AAC)

Amongst all these years are school records in almost every category, but primary scoring and rebounding and free throw %.

9 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

He took over an Iowa Stare team that literally went 2-22 (0-18 in the Big 12) and had them in the Sweet 16 year one. Year two he was .500 in conference (with another NCAA Appearance), and Year 3 they are Top 10 in the country. Also wildly successful (and quickly) at SDSU. The UNLV stint wasn't great, admittedly. That's my biggest concern.

I don't know if accurate but ESPN article earlier included him in the sizable buyout preventing move category and says ($17.6 million left on his deal). The rest of the list says buyout instead of "left on his deal".

I wouldn’t be happy with Dusty but I would be happy to be rid of Woodson. So overall I would probably be happy. 
He would certainly give me more hope than the last two hired.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

He would certainly give me more hope than the last two hired.

He’d give me less hope than I had when Archie was hired. Archie had a much better resume. I just can’t get excited about a mid major guy with May’s resume. Not when the program is in the state that it’s in. 

4 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

His team this year is pretty great. If this offense is sustainable I like him more than most of the candidates since he’s shown he’ll have a top 10 defense every year. I think they’re in second place now in the best conference in America. He had a top 10 recruiting class at Iowa st last year also

Again, not for or against him.  It looks like for the last 8 years he has had 1 really good season and one trip to the sweet 16th.  Just nothing here that jumps off the page at me as the best coach for us.

image.thumb.png.6128fa9af54809e5be615af75f303b63.png

5 minutes ago, ISP said:

Year 1: finalist for Joe B Hall award (best new D1 coach). set FAU record for rebounds and free throw % 

Year 2: First time FAU had 2 consecutive winning seasons in 15 years. Set school record for points per game

Year 3: Highest KenPom rating FAU had ever had, first time FAU had 3 consecutive winning seasons in history

Year 4. 2nd or 3rd in conference , first time in 

Year 5: Final 4 and NCAA champ + multiple coach of the year awards 

Year 6: 20-6 record, 2nd place in conference (moved up to the AAC)

Amongst all these years are school records in almost every category, but primary scoring and rebounding and free throw %.

All while playing in a gym that couldn't even host a sectional in Indiana....

He’d give me less hope than I had when Archie was hired. Archie had a much better resume. I just can’t get excited about a mid major guy with May’s resume. Not when the program is in the state that it’s in. 
He seems to get its guards game at least. Archie ran a defense that took two decades to learn

7 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I don't know if accurate but ESPN article earlier included him in the sizable buyout preventing move category and says ($17.6 million left on his deal). The rest of the list says buyout instead of "left on his deal".

Crap, you're right. His original contract said the buyout would be the same as his remaining salary owed. And he just signed a $17+ million extension. So he's probably out. Bummer.

P.S. It does drop by half if the AD leaves Iowa State. Probably won't happen, but you never know.

5 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Again, not for or against him.  It looks like for the last 8 years he has had 1 really good season and one trip to the sweet 16th.  Just nothing here that jumps off the page at me as the best coach for us.

image.thumb.png.6128fa9af54809e5be615af75f303b63.png

If we’re looking at just postseason success ya i guess so. Even though they were 19-14 last year still 29 overall on kenpom and 43 before. Idk he just feels like a guy that’s shown he can have some success in the best conference in America but would have some upside also especially as seeing his best team is this year. Lol didn’t realize the buyout though so i got intrigued for nothing. 

Honestly if I had known Woodson would be the hire I would have said just keep archie. I honestly thought it as an April fools joke when it leaked they hired Woodson.I was beyond stunned.

57 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mick Cronin is getting a lot of talk on other sites like Peegs. He's unhappy at UCLA because of their NIL program is rumored to be a candidate at UL & OSU.

I prefer Dusty myself but Mick is interesting

I'd be down with that. He's not having a good year but that is an anomaly. Took Cincy to 9 straight NCAAT and UCLA to 3 straight S16+, including that FF. Only time he hasn't had a team in the NCAAT since the '10-'11 season was the COVID year and they were 19-12, 2nd in the PAC-12 so they might have made it then.

And he's 52.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

A guy who’s been to a F4 has a worse resume than Archie? The same number of F4s as your beloved Pearl in 18 fewer years as a HC?????? You can just write anything on the internet. 

Ok, since we’re about to reach page 200, let’s get a consensus on everything that has transpired. As of right now, do we think Woodson will be gone after this season or not? I need to see a bunch of “after this season 100%” haha 
MO....he cannot for himself or the program's sake coach this team past this season.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk