Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

lillurk

A Case for Dusty May

28 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

The 3 names you mentioned were all spring additions. Not sure why everyone thinks it is crazy to assume there will be the same this year. 

There has been more top level talent brought in by Woody than any coach since Knight. The argument is he needs more volume and not quite as picky.. Seems like that is getting through as he hit the road last night. 

The assumption is he is too stubborn to change anything. The question becomes, what if he is willing to make a good amount of changes? Sometimes stubborn people need to learn lessons the hard way. 

Do the math  We have three graduating this year (X, Walker, Leal).  One (Ware) likely going pro according to most.  Then 2 or 3 possible "disgruntled" guys move on.  Plus an open spot.  So you likely have 4-5 spots to fill and possibly as many as 7-8 spots to fill.  With 1 signed.  That's a really bad spot to be in by any measure. 

24 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Are you saying he didn’t stay to watch Daquan who played in the same gym right after? Not what I heard. 

he also hasn’t done this much. Went mid week recruiting, by himself, on the road. That is pretty telling to me.

Rabby confirmed he did not stay for the 2nd game. 

21 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Right, but the three different articles are a bit misleading.  Those 69 where apparently transfers over several years.  That is a big difference from "win now, use the portal."  

It is very likely that teams will have 1-2 transfers each year.  Good programs will have kids go pro earlier than expected - and will need to fill that hole.  Other kids will leave because they don't fit.  The portal makes it easier for kids to leave and easier to fill the open spots.  No problem.  But the idea that you're going to turn over your roster every year and "win now" is a pipe dream.  

Correct. People who think that signing 1-2 five big time recruits and then adding 5-7 transfers every offseason is a winning formula are simply being contrarian for the sake of argument on the internet. Not at all how it works. 

Correct. People who think that signing 1-2 five big time recruits and then adding 5-7 transfers every offseason is a winning formula are simply being contrarian for the sake of argument on the internet. Not at all how it works. 
That appears to be Woodson strategy.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

No? Because Holtman is May.  Another lower major coach, went to a big school and failed. 

Obvious at this point you are a big fan. He really is a crap shoot this early on. May or may not work out.  Think it is little crazy to blow everything up again on a maybe

Blow everything up again on a maybe?

Man, look where we are.  What success are we messing with? We're probably missing the tournament even with three 5 stars in our starting lineup and ~10 years of experience in our starting backcourt.

I will say we need to let the season play out, but I'm totally willing to lose what we have and start over if we finish the way I think it will go.

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

Interesting - few outlets said he did but will trust that. Guess that closes the book on DaQuan. The camp around him must me a non-starter. 

Yeah I'm not going to totally blame Woodson for this. It seems that other programs are staying away also. 

8 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Interesting - few outlets said he did but will trust that. Guess that closes the book on DaQuan. The camp around him must me a non-starter. 

Do we know if anyone else was there to watch him? Or is anyone else still in on him?

I hadn't heard anything about the camp around him...the kid can play, if no one is moving on him, wonder what's going on behind the scenes. 

1 minute ago, monskisprodigy said:

Do we know if anyone else was there to watch him? Or is anyone else still in on him?

I hadn't heard anything about the camp around him...the kid can play, if no one is moving on him, wonder what's going on behind the scenes. 

Supposedly Trilly gave that answer on his paid site today but I'm too cheap to pay for anything. 

13 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I agree.  Not watching is one thing but being there to watch one guy then leave before his game sends a strong message unless Woody discussed it with him  

8 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I am responding to multiple replies of yours here

- I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying to bring in 5 guys a year. Not sure how that was the take away. I am saying you keep talking about lack of HS guys. Need to develop and build. I don’t think that matters as much. I think you can bring in 2/3 high talent HS guys each year and 2 portal guys each year. 

- the “win now” - I never said that. Irony is that is the main calling for get rid of Woody year 3. “Bring in the right guy and win now” - yeah, that is a pipe dream and spare me the Ole Miss junk schedule. Nobody is coming into here and winning now. Fans who have those expectations keep us in a perpetual state of turnover. Woody or no Woody.

- on next year - yeah, I don’t see the turnover you do. I see - Trey, CJ, Sparks, Malik, Cupps, Jakai, McNeely, Queen, MM 50/50 - transfer lost is Banks. I see one more HS late add. So 3 portal and guess up to 5 but nowhere near what you have. 

Much of my reply isn't directly to you, as we have a lot different things going on regarding the portal.  But in general, sounds like we agree -- mass portal additions each year ain't going to work.  If you think about it, if your classes are perfectly balanced you're looking a 3 incoming freshmen per year.  So you're right.  A few HS kids each year and fill any holes with the portal.   Which is what I have been saying -- the portal fills holes.

As for next season -- there are 13 spots.  You have 8 filled -- not going to count a kid who hasn't even committed yet.  Which leaves 5 open spots.  That is still a ton of spots to fill.  And if you loose 2-3 others, the floodgates open.  It's not a good place to be going into year 4.  Woodson has under performed at this aspect of his job.   

46 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I understand but it was still a “move up”. Butler mag be Big East but even they are questioning if they belong - greater point is when these guys move up, it is 50/50 and that is probably generous.  It doesn’t scare me to “lose” May. Personal opinion. 

I agree about May. It just wasn't as big of a jump for Holtmann as you made it seem. Your underselling that actually hurts your point about May.

34 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Supposedly Trilly gave that answer on his paid site today but I'm too cheap to pay for anything. 

Cheap? Maybe. Or you're smart. Paying to find out info on a guy that obviously isn't going to end up at IU would be pretty dumb.

Seems like Louisville and Ohio State could have openings after this year. If I'm Dolson, I'm waiting to see how the tournament pans out and if May makes it to the E8 / FF, I'm pulling the trigger immediately. It would be hard to turn down both Ohio State and Lousiville waiting for IU which may never happen.