Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

lillurk

A Case for Dusty May

6 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Seems like Louisville and Ohio State could have openings after this year. If I'm Dolson, I'm waiting to see how the tournament pans out and if May makes it to the E8 / FF, I'm pulling the trigger immediately. It would be hard to turn down both Ohio State and Lousiville waiting for IU which may never happen.

This is my line of thinking as well, unless Dolson has already spoken with May about the job and it’s just a matter of him knowing to wait it out until it’s his time to take over here. Obviously I think it’d be pretty telling if other destinations open up for May next season he decides to stay put. 

Seems like Louisville and Ohio State could have openings after this year. If I'm Dolson, I'm waiting to see how the tournament pans out and if May makes it to the E8 / FF, I'm pulling the trigger immediately. It would be hard to turn down both Ohio State and Lousiville waiting for IU which may never happen.
Somebody will hire may this spring. Who that is remains to be seen.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

May to Louisville is what we need to watch for. 

I said this yesterday. It's an easy drive for his family to make it to Louisville. I will say his mom and grandma spend the winters in Florida. But his wife's family is all still in Greene or Monroe CO

But Louisville looked much better last night against Duke then they did earlier in the year. Maybe Payne is coming along. 

First it was Fife and since then Lewis, Alford, Stevens, Beard, Stevens, Pearl, Stevens, and now May.  Heck, by the time March 1, rolls around we'll have added 2 or 3 more names to the list.  And is it true Anthony Leal's showing properties to Mrs. Donovan?

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

First it was Fife and since then Lewis, Alford, Stevens, Beard, Stevens, Pearl, Stevens, and now May.  Heck, by the time March 1, rolls around we'll have added 2 or 3 more names to the list.  And is it true Anthony Leal's showing properties to Mrs. Donovan?

These long weeks between games that we don't really want to watch are tough

Anyone know if Dusty is recruiting Sisley, Haralson, and Mullins?  If Dusty would be our future coach, it would be nice if he was already developing a relationship with these state of Indiana recruits.  

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

Anyone know if Dusty is recruiting Sisley, Haralson, and Mullins?  If Dusty would be our future coach, it would be nice if he was already developing a relationship with these state of Indiana recruits.  

I don't think so. I think they are all looking at bigger schools than FAU right now

6 minutes ago, JF87 said:

No, none of those guys are going to FAU so there’s no reason for him to waist resources.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't think so. I think they are all looking at bigger schools than FAU right now

I ask because when Thad Matta was at Xavier he started recruiting Oden and Conley Jr.  When he took the Ohio State job, he was able to sign these two to Ohio State.  Wishful thinking on my part that Dusty might be able to do something similar.  

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Should we be worried about Ohio State firing Holtman and hiring Dusty?

We shouldn't be worried, but Dolson as AD should be sweating bullets about it. A missed hire on May, if successful at school XX in the B1G would be met with immediate and persistent calls for his job. 

If May is guaranteed to another regional or inter-conference school - Dolson better have an established plan of action. A former IU guy, who is widely known to want the IU job getting hired by another power player in CBB and having success is a catastrophic mistake.  

TBH Holtmann is Archie Miller level of coach, don't know how he's made it this long

We shouldn't be worried, but Dolson as AD should be sweating bullets about it. A missed hire on May, if successful at school XX in the B1G would be met with immediate and persistent calls for his job. 
If May is guaranteed to another regional or inter-conference school - Dolson better have an established plan of action. A former IU guy, who is widely known to want the IU job getting hired by another power player in CBB and having success is a catastrophic mistake.  
TBH Holtmann is Archie Miller level of coach, don't know how he's made it this long
Somebody is hiring may his spring. I highly doubt May will just stay put waiting for the iu job to open cause he would not know when it might open. Could be years.

8 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Somebody is hiring may his spring. I highly doubt May will just stay put waiting for the iu job to open cause he would not know when it might open. Could be years.

I just don’t think May is moving north unless it’s for the IU job. Wife really likes South Florida and they still have teenaged kids down there. Larranaga retiring within the next year or two. That’s who I’d keep an eye out on.

22 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I just don’t think May is moving north unless it’s for the IU job. Wife really likes South Florida and they still have teenaged kids down there. Larranaga retiring within the next year or two. That’s who I’d keep an eye out on.

One son plays at Florida, another plays at UCF and the youngest is a senior this year in High School

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

One son plays at Florida, another plays at UCF and the youngest is a senior this year in High School

Yep.

Once all those kids are graduated and on their own I’d think he broaden his horizons. That is unless one job in particular opens earlier…

Yep.
Once all those kids are graduated and on their own I’d think he broaden his horizons. That is unless one job in particular opens earlier…
We shall see. If some big school throws tons of money at him after this season you never know I guess.

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

We shall see. If some big school throws tons of money at him after this season you never know I guess.

Money talks for sure, but if he's purely motivated by money, he'd have made a move after last season fresh off a F4, no? I just get the sense May and his wife are perfectly content at the moment living in Boca Raton. That's dream living for a lot of people. There will come a day where he does eventually pull the trigger, but at the moment I don't think there's a huge rush.

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Gainesville is a four hour drive from FAU; Orlando (UCF) is a three hour drive. So it's not like those college kids are coming over for dinner. Both of those towns have easy access to the Orlando airport, which has direct flights to almost anywhere.

I would think that given the pay and resources of a larger program, he'd be able to get together with his college kids as much as he wants no matter where he goes. Nothing like a $4 million/year pay increase to allow for unlimited family travel.

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Money talks for sure, but if he's purely motivated by money, he'd have made a move after last season fresh off a F4, no? I just get the sense May and his wife are perfectly content at the moment living in Boca Raton. That's dream living for a lot of people. There will come a day where he does eventually pull the trigger, but at the moment I don't think there's a huge rush.

Good post, but as someone who lives close to Boca Raton, I'd much rather live in Bloomington or near Louisville. Caveat - I'm much happier hiking than on a beach, and I prefer a little snow and cold for four months to non-stop heat and humidity for four months.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Good post, but as someone who lives close to Boca Raton, I'd much rather live in Bloomington, Indiana or near Louisville. Caveat - I'm much happier hiking than on a beach, and I prefer a little snow and cold for four months to non-stop heat and humidity for four months.

Right, all personal preference. Dusty has spent nearly the entirety of his coaching career in the south and the last decade in Florida. I don't get the sense he's tired of Florida.

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah I'm not going to totally blame Woodson for this. It seems that other programs are staying away also. 

I thought someone posted that Davis has a little bit of a bad attitude on the court