Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Leipold makes about $6 million annually and currently has a $12.5 million buyout. 

So it would take Nick Saban money to bring him in. To Indiana football. 

That's a "NO."

The 2 sort of comparable situations that really interest me are Leipold at KU and James Franklin at Vandy. They took over $hit programs that everyone said you couldn't win at and fixed'em pretty damned quickly. And that's where the superficial similarities end. Franklin was 38 or 39 and had never been an HC anywhere. Leipold was something like 57 and had the nice, but not stunning, run at Buffalo after kicking everybody's a$$ in D-3 for a bunch of years. But what they had to have shared was an eye for under-valued talent and a vision that they could communicate combined with the discipline to execute it. We'd all love Leipold obviously, but if Dolson hires a guy with his resume at Buffalo, we're probably gonna be collectively underwhelmed. There are just some articles of faith stuff that we have to be prepared to accept. Those schools did and got paid off. IU football can't hire a clean candidate. The guy's gonna have warts of some kind.

3 minutes ago, hoosierfan84 said:

Indiana is bad because Indiana could not care less about its football program. Unless and until that changes, Indiana will always be bad. Doesn't matter who the coach is. When the powers that be are ready and willing to throw the bank at football, Indiana can then be good. Not until. I'm still not convinced that Indiana even cares about basketball at this point, but that's another conversation altogether.

How much you spending?  

IU has a ton of obstacles to overcome for football.  The biggest is it's lack of any history of success.  You're not going to be able to buy your way out of that history.  You need to build it one brick at a time.  You need a coach that can set the foundation and build a program from there.  But good players want to play for a winner.  So you have to figure out how to win with what you got.  That's 100% coaching. Sure support him, build facilities and whatnot.  But if he can't win a football games because he's a moron -- i.e.; makes all sorts of in game coaching errors -- it's not going to matter.  

12 minutes ago, Demo said:

The 2 sort of comparable situations that really interest me are Leipold at KU and James Franklin at Vandy. They took over $hit programs that everyone said you couldn't win at and fixed'em pretty damned quickly. And that's where the superficial similarities end. Franklin was 38 or 39 and had never been an HC anywhere. Leipold was something like 57 and had the nice, but not stunning, run at Buffalo after kicking everybody's a$$ in D-3 for a bunch of years. But what they had to have shared was an eye for under-valued talent and a vision that they could communicate combined with the discipline to execute it. We'd all love Leipold obviously, but if Dolson hires a guy with his resume at Buffalo, we're probably gonna be collectively underwhelmed. There are just some articles of faith stuff that we have to be prepared to accept. Those schools did and got paid off. IU football can't hire a clean candidate. The guy's gonna have warts of some kind.

Bingo. In other words it can be done.

From the limited knowledge of what I've seen so far I'm looking for a combination of:

• Leadership 
  • Charisma but with a no-nonsense personality
  • Relative youth
  • Technical coaching imagination and expertise

So for me I'd be really happy with Candle or Sherrone Moore. Not sure if either of those guys would be interested, but those would be two pretty damn fine choices.

44 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

It isn't about the coach guys.  Hate to be a Debbie Downer but:

1.  Indiana is bad because Indiana has always been bad.  We will never be good until we break that mental loop.  Many have tried and all have failed, or moved on to better jobs.

2.  Indiana will never be good when we celebrate signing players that would be 2nd, 3rd or 4th string players at Ohio State or Michigan.  And, if they improve the portal is always there for them to escape.

3.  We all need to realize that, unlike basketball, football is a "numbers" sport.  IU has always been a terrible second half football school because we have never been able to develop depth.  Out starters may be competitive but the backup aren't there and other teams wear us down.

I don't have the answer to any of these problems and I don't think that we are going to be able to bring in any coach that can answer them.  If that coach exists he is already the head of a winning program elsewhere.

C'mon man there's a whole laundry list of programs that proves you wrong. It just takes one great coach to completely change our fortunes. 

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

From the limited knowledge of what I've seen so far I'm looking for a combination of:

• Leadership 
  • Relative youth

So for me I'd be really happy with Candle or Sherrone Moore. Not sure if either of those guys would be interested, but those would be two pretty damn fine choices.

Candle or someone with a comparable resume seems about right. A guy with zero HC experience would probably spook me a little. But Georgia hired Kirby Smart and that seems to have worked out all right, so what do I know.

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• Leadership 
  • Relative youth

ARE says hello with some of those qualities.

Seriously though, I don’t know much, if any of the names in this thread or much about football in general besides the basics.  

Do we know at this point for sure who IU has reached out to?  I know that there are lists but I don’t believe any of the writers out there.  I would have to think we have already had communication with our next head coach.

7 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Do we know at this point for sure who IU has reached out to?

No. And we won’t. 

We’ve probably got 3-5 days of speculation ahead. 

BLOOMINGTON – IU is engaging prominent search firm TurnkeyZRG as part of its due diligence in selecting its next head football coach, IndyStar has learned.

Turnkey, whose recent clients include the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Boston Red Sox, the San Francisco 49ers, several major sports leagues and a handful of other professional franchises, is among the most well-known search firms in the country. Its website cites its involvement in “over 1,400 executive searches,” with an extensive collegiate client list — including the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Alabama, Michigan, LSU, Oklahoma, Penn State and others — as well.

Indiana’s financial obligation to Turnkey was not immediately available, but prior searches typically included five-figure fees. South Carolina reportedly paid in excess of $34,000 to Turnkey for its involvement in the search that led to Shane Beamer’s hiring, while Wisconsin paid $50,000 following the search that ended with the Badgers hiring Luke Fickell.

Firms are typically employed through the search process for a variety of purposes that require a relative amount of discretion.

Their services can cover anything from background vetting, to acting as a third-party intermediary to sound out potential candidates in ways that allow all parties plausible deniability, to eventually connecting candidates with programs.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just now from Michael Niziolek -

Indiana hires TurnkeyZRG to assist with search for next head football coach.

Was this something we should have expected or is it an indication our "A" listers have all said no thanks? 

It’s a clear indication that we had no one in place as the next hire with only the final details to be worked out, when we fired Allen.

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just now from Michael Niziolek -

Indiana hires TurnkeyZRG to assist with search for next head football coach.

Was this something we should have expected or is it an indication our "A" listers have all said no thanks? 

IIRC, there was an SI or ESPN article about the firm that helped Cool Dad find Archie and all they really did was figure out an innocuous location for the parties to meet so us dorks wouldn't be following charter flights for a week. As far as we know, the flight from Boca to Bloomington was the Cooks returning from a Thanksgiving weekend trip.

Hiring Turnkey can be spun one of two ways -- or both:

1.  It's a positive sign that they are making sure to get the right hire by turning over all rocks -- something they didn't do when they gave the keys to Tom Allen and just did the quick hire in house thing.

2.  It's a negative sign in that it means they don't feel like they have their guy and had to turn to a firm to help.

Don't know which it is.

6 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

IIRC, there was an SI or ESPN article about the firm that helped Cool Dad find Archie and all they really did was figure out an innocuous location for the parties to meet so us dorks wouldn't be following charter flights for a week. As far as we know, the flight from Boca to Bloomington was the Cooks returning from a Thanksgiving weekend trip.

I know of a coach that was interviewed for a job in Indiana, was working already in Indiana, and interviewed at a hotel in Orlando for a job that no one at all would care about. And people think that Tom Herman is flying into Bloomington to meet with Dolson. Flight tracking is a farce lol. 

ARE says hello with some of those qualities.
Seriously though, I don’t know much, if any of the names in this thread or much about football in general besides the basics.  

Do we know at this point for sure who IU has reached out to?  I know that there are lists but I don’t believe any of the writers out there.  I would have to think we have already had communication with our next head coach.
Can he bring St Brown with him

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk