Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dave from Dayton

Maryland vs Indiana - Game Thread, Fri., 12/1 @ 7 BTN

This Friday, Indiana (5-1) begins the journey into the Big Ten Conference season by hosting Maryland (3-3).  Maryland has lost to Villanova, Davidson, and UAB.  They play Rider at home Tuesday night.  

Last Saturday, Maryland won against South Alabama 68-55.  They struggled from the 3-point line for the whole game in their worst showing from there this season.  In the second half they went inside.   Only four Maryland players scored.  These guys scored...Reese, Scott, Young and Geronimo.    Maryland overcomes slow start to defeat South Alabama - Testudo Times  

Do not ask why Pomeroy has Maryland at 57 and IU at 75.  (Spoiler alert:  Could be Coach Woodson's brute force platoon substitutions for long-term seasoning.  That stops any padding of scores and may affect Pomeroy standings this early in the season.  Pomeroy does not mean much until later in the season.)

Thinking about Xavier's injury.  And Reneau's back.  And Ware's performance in the Big Ten.  And hoping that Cupps grows lots taller in the next few days. Did you notice that Galloway played the most minutes and scored 4?  And Mac played 31 minutes and scored 18!

1 hour ago, reconmkd said:

The unknowns of who is hurt, who will play and for how long kinda reminds me of the supper table growing up as a kid. You get what you get and if you don't like it you are SOL. LOL sorry couldn't help it.

To quote my 4 year old daughter (at the time): "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"

:)

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Good lord too many of you have some kind of gallows mentality PTSD that assumes everything bad will happen before every game.

We.

Are:

FIVE AND ONE BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

We definitely looked a lot better in the second half against Harvard (while allowing a lot of open looks in the 1st half) -- but man we have looked pretty bad defensively, and from the perimeter heading into that game. How we defend the 3 (at least MD doesn't shoot it well generally), how we use p&r and lobs in the paint, what we do to get perimeter shots -- including getting Bako shots --  is what I'm going to be watching. Hoping it goes well w/o issues.

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

True but not having X is going to make it rough. Think some of those who have called for him to be benched are going to find out what that means.

We all know how I feel about Cupps and that he isn’t quick enough to play against better guards (saw lot of that yesterday come to light). Not sure what other option we have as I would have said play Galloway at point but man he has been just as bad and not just with shooting. Lost on switches etc a lot too. Can’t believe I am saying this but maybe Leal does need to play. At least he won’t make mistakes. 

I guess give me Galloway and Leal and hope MM can handle the outside scoring load. Obviously Cupps will play but it needs to be in short spurts and not put the pressure on him. 

I am pretty certain that if we go without X, it will be with Cupps and Gallo starting.

When Cupps goes out it will be Gallo at the point with Leal at SG, and when Gallo is out there's no way Cupps will get paired much with Leal; I'd expect Gunn to pair up with Cupps for 6-8 non-Gallo minutes to keep some athleticism on the court.

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I am pretty certain that if we go without X, it will be with Cupps and Gallo starting.

When Cupps goes out it will be Gallo at the point with Leal at SG, and when Gallo is out there's no way Cupps will get paired much with Leal; I'd expect Gunn to pair up with Cupps for 6-8 non-Gallo minutes to keep some athleticism on the court.

I'd much rather see Cupps/Leal over Cupps/Gunn. Gunn might be more athletic than Leal, but his ability to process the game is very slow. Gunn, for whatever reason, just isn't anywhere near ready.

4 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

Maryland shoot 21% 3P. Looking for Geronimo to pop 3 quick ones before first media timeout

Geronimo will probably be Mgbako's man a good amount I imagine... JG has never seen MM in practice before, so that's a positive... 

I think Mack's on-ball defense is actually half decent, but his huge problem is more ball watching causing him to be late on rotations IMO. He looked a lot better against Harvard (definitely not perfect, got lost multiple times. But better.) What he lacks in speed/quickness, I think he can make up for with length once he figures out how to work angles a little better. 

I think he is figuring out the intensity aspect of things. Still a lot to improve, but Harvard was definitely encouraging. I hope he builds on that performance and we continue finding ways to get him shots as long as he is bringing it on D and crashing the boards. 

59 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Geronimo will probably be Mgbako's man a good amount I

I hope the opposite is true then too. We should run MM off a million screens. He’ll get plenty of looks. The thought of watching Geronimo and Bates try and talk through screens last year still makes me laugh.