Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Barrel Rick

(2025) SG - Braylon Mullins

It's always fun watching recruiting and seeing the swings in fan reactions. It seems there is always 1 or 2 recruitments like this every year:

1) Recruit (usually from IN) that is coveted and IU starts to recruit him. Everyone feels good.

2) Poster goes on message boards and claims to have inside info. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Gives positive feedback on the recruitment. Everyone feels even better.

3) Later, poster claiming inside info says that it's pretty much a done deal, he's IU's to lose, he's given a silent verbal, or some variation of that. The board is ecstatic.

4) Time goes on without a commitment and he plans visits to other schools. Poster still posting he'll commit to IU messages. Board is happy but starting to feel a tiny bit antsy.

5) More time goes on without a commitment. Maybe he makes some visits. Inside info poster gives positive feedback but not quite as certain as before or goes silent. People start to really get antsy.

6) An article, crystal ball, or just comment from analyst that seems more favorable to another school than IU comes out. Anxiety is evident with some people saying he's gone other saying no way.

7) More time goes on without positive IU news, maybe something else positive for another school. The board blows up because all of a sudden IU is losing the recruit, has no chance, and people are ready to jump from a bridge since the sky is falling. Blame and excuses abound.

8) Happiness/sadness of the boards fluctuates as he continues to make visits without committing while articles, crystal balls guesses, analyst comments, and message board posts continue both in favor of IU and other schools. 

It seems we're at #6 with Mullins.

Meanwhile, here's me the whole time knowing how up and down it'll be:

eating popcorn.gif

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Worth noting again Barrel Rick has been notably silent since around the UConn visit.  It is what it is.  

Not throwing in the towel but odds appear to be diminishing.  

I think either someone in the Mullins camp told him to be quiet, or he wants to let the kid have his day. 

Barrel rick is clearly close to this recruitment, and I don't think the fact he's gone silent means our chances are diminishing. 

JMO.

I think either someone in the Mullins camp told him to be quiet, or he wants to let the kid have his day. 
Barrel rick is clearly close to this recruitment, and I don't think the fact he's gone silent means our chances are diminishing. 
JMO.

I can see this.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

On 8/23/2024 at 3:40 PM, cthomas said:

I'm starting to like the portal more and more. The drama that surrounds high school kids can be a bit much. The length of time and the amount of resources that go into the recruiting process is ridiculous. At least with the portal you are done in a couple of months.

I agree.

If filling rosters was looked at from a business perspective one would question why a staff would spend the time and money over a 3-4 year period  “showing the love” to a 15/16/17 year old that may or may not commit, might not turn out to be a player and if landed has at least a 50% chance of leaving via the portal.
I find myself transitioning from wanting HS players and balanced classes to not really caring as long as we can land proven performers via the portal.

That being said…Hope we land Mullins.

Jasper Johnson is announcing 9/5 from among UNC, Bama and UK. He’s announcing from his old HS which is maybe 20 mins from Rupp, which certainly feels like a tell. Not saying you wouldn’t take both him and Mullins, of course you would, but contrary to the way he’s often portrayed, Johnson is not a PG. He’s very much a scoring guard and the fit between the 2 might be a little weird, even in a system as open as that one. 

4 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I still think Mullins is going anywhere but IU.  My gut tells me Kensucky!

His gut is upset because he's still trying to digest the coaching situation. 

My gut tells me his gut would feel fine about this otherwise.

Hundo on this kid stiffing us for someone else on the list.......its just got that feeling of one of those recruits.....unfortunately....fingers-crossed I am dead wrong

4 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Anywhere but IU? What led you to this conclusion? Kentucky in play on paper due to Moreno and history...but anywhere but IU? I'll take IU 90%, UK 10%, and give you the field. 

You got me, I think he’s ending up at Kensucky but if he goes to Kensucky, anywhere sounds much better!  But I still don’t think he ends up at IU, I sure hope I am wrong

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

You should probably see a doctor. I fully disagree with this. Not saying he's ours but I still think were the leader

I think Kensucky is the leader because of Moreno, IMO

2 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

His gut is upset because he's still trying to digest the coaching situation. 

My gut tells me his gut would feel fine about this otherwise.

My gut has nothing to do with that, but sometimes when I hear MW talk, it does make me a little nauseous, lol!!! 

1 minute ago, Certified Sunshine Pumper said:

I think that's absurd to think. 

Not really!  They played together and are friends, what is absurd to think?  I have read somewhere that if it could work out, they would like playing together in college.