Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - Thursday, 1/5/23 @ 9:00 on FS1

19 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We did seem to struggle in critical times against them packing it in on TJD. Much different feel between the first ~38 minutes and the last few.

Agree. I think the biggest issue was the lack of movement. For some reason 4 guys were just standing around with no movement trying to force feed TJD. 

That seems to always happen late in close games, and that is absolutely on Woodson ultimately. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Thanks for sharing! Good to understand the reality with data and not just emotion. 

Data is good but the only number I care about is point scored and 89 is plenty

Just now, IU Scott said:

Data is good but the only number I care about is oint scored and 89 is plenty

89 is plenty, but wasn't enough. Several reasons we lost, but one was absolutely that our offense stalled the last several minutes. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I think the biggest issue was the lack of movement. For some reason 4 guys were just standing around with no movement trying to force feed TJD. 

That seems to always happen late in close games, and that is absolutely on Woodson ultimately. 

I can't remember who it was but someone attempted to set an off ball screen near the paint with the other player just standing. I felt we were in trouble at that moment.

The confidence to make a play seems to be lacking for many players.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I can't remember who it was but someone attempted to set an off ball screen near the paint with the other player just standing. I felt we were in trouble at that moment.

The confidence to make a play seems to be lacking for many players.

Completely agree. We haven't had a guy that could take over and had the confidence to do it since Yogi, really. We haven't had a guy that could just sense and feel moments and take them over in a long time, certainly not on the road. 

18 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

One more note, I hope we destroy them in Bloomington and that in the post-game every IU players answers every media questions with "it seemed like their coach had no clue what he was doing." Literally answer every question with that. 

6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Apparently we used the Tom Crean Guide to Beating Zone Defense.

We did score 110 last year against the Syracuse zone And heard people talking about how our zone offense was better than the man offense. We just had a bad game against the zone late but it doesn't mean overall the zone offense is bad.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We did score 110 last year against the Syracuse zone And heard people talking about how our zone offense was better than the man offense. We just had a bad game against the zone late but it doesn't mean overall the zone offense is bad.

Agree. This isn't some trend. We've been fine against zone otherwise. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not sure where you specifically stood on it, but I was in debates with people on this board last summer that were saying Galloway shouldn't even be in the rotation this season, yet now we're going to expect there to not be a big drop-off from XJ/JHS to him?

I've never been high on JG as anything more then a energy backup 4 in 10-15 minutes, so no I don't expect him to replace Race Thompson without a dropff, though admittedly I also didn't expect the train wreck like performance he put in Thursday. 

I do agree with you though, that it does seem odd that so many young players that aren't super highly ranked seem to come into some other programs and contribute right away, and it seems like at IU unless you're a McDonald's AA, we don't get much from you, especially early. 

For whatever reason, we just have not recruited "dawgs" for years. We haven't recruited super confident guys with just massive swagger, etc. 

I dont know why that is. There is something there and it's spanned multiple coaches, so I do hear what you're saying about something at the program level. 

With all of that said, very few teams if any are going to survive the injuries we've had to the players we've had them too. You can't just dismiss that. 

But again, I do hear what you're saying and don't totally disagree. 

Two types of coaches.  System guys and talent guys.  System guys look for the right players.  Talent guys look for the best players.  Unfortunately, except for a few odd years, we have been neither.  Fix that, and you fix the program.  

3 hours ago, Josh said:

When we hired an NBA coach, I openly questioned on here about how he would coach against a zone since he didn't see one in the League 

I'm not posting this as a "Told You So", it's more so that you'll understand how smart my big brain works. You should believe what I tell you moving forward.

They were doing what they where supposed to do against a zone.  Problem is we have a big who won't take a shot.  So the zone don't have to adjust.  Only thing you maybe could have done was put more of a shooter in that spot.  

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Actually they play zone in the NBA, only difference is that the defensive player can't just stand in the lane.

I wasn't aware they played any defense in the NBA.  

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The best reason to play Banks instead of Geronimo is that while freshmen can make defensive mistakes, no one can make more than Geronimo.

I hate to say it, but it's a bust.  No reason to look as bad as he did, unless his dog died or something.  

Like it or not, I suspect you'll see Geronimo starting next game.  If JHS, Bates, and Galloway start that really only leaves Gunn and Leal as the guard options off of the bench.  Can't see Leal getting on the court and don't expect we'll see Gunn as the only bench guard option.  Since Geronimo has been 'less ugly' than Reneau lately, I suspect he'll be starting against Northwestern.

17 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Like it or not, I suspect you'll see Geronimo starting next game.  If JHS, Bates, and Galloway start that really only leaves Gunn and Leal as the guard options off of the bench.  Can't see Leal getting on the court and don't expect we'll see Gunn as the only bench guard option.  Since Geronimo has been 'less ugly' than Reneau lately, I suspect he'll be starting against Northwestern.

Reneau being less ugly is an understatement!  He still is trying to play like he is up against Morehead St.  The guy may as well just hand the ball over to the opposing team, that’s pretty much what he does when he’s been on the floor lately.  I think they starting lineup should be TJD, Kopp, Bates, Galloway, and JHS. I read an article stating this has been our best optimum lineup 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. We haven't had a guy that could take over and had the confidence to do it since Yogi, really. We have had a guy that could just sense and feel moments and take them over in a long time, certainly not on the road. 

That was only 7 years ago? I can't imagine why we've struggled.