Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Jay Edwards may be the finest pure scorer  under 6’5” and the most unheralded all-time great in the history of Indiana Basketball.

In two years at IU he averaged 18.2, shot 46.5 from three including the single best 3pt shooting season in NCAA history, and 85% from the line. He was B1G freshman of the year, and as a sophomore was second team All American and  B1G player of the year on his way to leading us to a B1G title. With him as the team’s go to he had the first year in IUBB history when we won at Mackey and Rupp in the same season. We won a TON of games because of him. 

Isn’t Jay Edwards a top 15 or so player in IUBB history?

Discuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He definitely could score the basketball and had a smooth stroke.  I think Alford was a better shooter.  Also, Woody and Scott May were as good as scorers but I would rate Edwards up there with them, he just didn’t play as long at IU as them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

He definitely could score the basketball and had a smooth stroke.  I think Alford was a better shooter.  Also, Woody and Scott May were as good as scorers but I would rate Edwards up there with them, he just didn’t play as long at IU as them

Woody and May were 6’5”+. 

Also, Woody, May, and Alford had much better players surrounding them than Jay.

Edwards led us to a conference title with Todd Jadlow as the team’s best big, and Eric Anderson as a freshman and Brian Sloan as the only other two bigs on the roster. The starting lineup that year was Jay, Hillman, Lyndon Jones, Jadlow and Anderson. Backed up by Sloan, Meeks, and Oliphant. Winning the conference with that roster is crazy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 15 would be tough. Maybe. Not sure you can be top 15 if you can’t defend you or me. Have to really chew on that a bit. But under the sub-heading of guys you want to take an important shot, probably #1. Used to argue with a stat geek friend who doesn’t believe in the idea of clutch. Tell me you’ve never played without telling me you’ve never played. Have used Edwards specifically in that argument. Dude was as clutch as it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would put Edwards in the top 10 for and possibly top 5 scorers in IU history, me comparing him to May and Woodson was an example of that and a true compliment to his scoring abilities.  As far as clutch, he was top 3 or the best. Even though a lot of people overlook him as a clutch scorer, Keith Smart could be up there as well.  But Edwards was really good at it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Demo said:

Top 15 would be tough. Maybe. Not sure you can be top 15 if you can’t defend you or me. Have to really chew on that a bit. But under the sub-heading of guys you want to take an important shot, probably #1. Used to argue with a stat geek friend who doesn’t believe in the idea of clutch. Tell me you’ve never played without telling me you’ve never played. Have used Edwards specifically in that argument. Dude was as clutch as it gets.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but this is what I remember about Edwards - he was the guy you wanted taking the game winning shot. He never really seemed to get sped up. He had ice water in his veins and you just expected him to make the clutch shot.

If I remember correctly, Edwards started his freshman year coming off the bench. We weren't having a great start to the season, but once we went to the 3 guard lineup with Edwards, the season turned around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigrod said:

My memory isn't what it used to be, but this is what I remember about Edwards - he was the guy you wanted taking the game winning shot. He never really seemed to get sped up. He had ice water in his veins and you just expected him to make the clutch shot.

If I remember correctly, Edwards started his freshman year coming off the bench. We weren't having a great start to the season, but once we went to the 3 guard lineup with Edwards, the season turned around.

We were 1-4 in conference while Edwards was suspended for academics. Then Jay played his way into the starting lineup and we went 10-3 in conference the rest of the way. He basically took Keith Smart out of the starting lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demo said:

Top 15 would be tough. Maybe. Not sure you can be top 15 if you can’t defend you or me. Have to really chew on that a bit. But under the sub-heading of guys you want to take an important shot, probably #1. Used to argue with a stat geek friend who doesn’t believe in the idea of clutch. Tell me you’ve never played without telling me you’ve never played. Have used Edwards specifically in that argument. Dude was as clutch as it gets.

It’s baffling that your stat geek friend doesn’t believe in clutch. There are “practice” shooters, “first half” shooters, “game is decided” shooters and guys that want the ball and come through in the clutch. Last year, as an example, someone posted that IU was shooting 18% from the three (I don’t recall the time period of games that were being referenced)  in the last 5 minutes of games.

Jay was clutch and it is mind blowing to think of him shooting nearly 50% from the three in spite of the defense knowing he was the go-to guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish Edwards could have reached his potential. Definitely a guy unafraid to take the big shot. Him and Lyndon Jones were flat out dominating at Marion. Three straight championships before class ball. Had the privilege to watch Marion play Richmond with Woody Austin. The 1989 team was one of my all time favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2022 at 8:47 PM, Stuhoo said:

Woody and May were 6’5”+. 

Also, Woody, May, and Alford had much better players surrounding them than Jay.

Edwards led us to a conference title with Todd Jadlow as the team’s best big, and Eric Anderson as a freshman and Brian Sloan as the only other two bigs on the roster. The starting lineup that year was Jay, Hillman, Lyndon Jones, Jadlow and Anderson. Backed up by Sloan, Meeks, and Oliphant. Winning the conference with that roster is crazy.

 

Michigan and Illinois were both final four teams with Michigan winning the national championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2022 at 8:47 PM, Stuhoo said:

Winning the conference with that roster is crazy.

That was coaching. And yes, I would include Edwards in the top 15 all-time. One of the best "clutch" shooters ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2022 at 7:32 PM, Stuhoo said:

Jay Edwards may be the finest pure scorer  under 6’5” and the most unheralded all-time great in the history of Indiana Basketball.

In two years at IU he averaged 18.2, shot 46.5 from three including the single best 3pt shooting season in NCAA history, and 85% from the line. He was B1G freshman of the year, and as a sophomore was first team All American and  B1G player of the year on his way to leading us to a B1G title. With him as the team’s go to he had the first year in IUBB history when we won at Mackey and Rupp in the same season. We won a TON of games because of him. 

Isn’t Jay Edwards a top 15 or so player in IUBB history?

Discuss

Was this best 3 point shooting at the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If he could stay away from partying he probably would have been even better 

I don't know if he got bad advice or just recognized that he would not last four years with CBK, but his talent was undeniable. I loved watching him play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×