Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

17 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

I’ll “poke the bear”-your words, not mine, while you hold on to some cockamamie delusions that a guy who emphatically turned IU down several years ago will suddenly have a come to Jesus moment and head to Bloomington.

Or maybe the Stevens idea is a “ giant waste of time” as you say. 

Also if you want to actually discuss the possibility let’s do it. 

The landscape has changed completely. College coaching is NBA-lite nowadays with “payrolls”. Everything has changed.  I don’t expect it or even think we need it. Just get a respected basketball mind and keep NIL at the tippy top. The formula is different. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yea, I was expecting at least Kentucky to lure and bigger fish. And maybe Louisville. 

Here’s the thing though.  Big fish in the past had the connection to wrangle money and deals behind the scenes. Now that isn’t necessary.  Just get a good basketball coach and spend the money in NIL/Etc. I think schools also realize this.  

Yeah this is going to be something to watch, one way NIL may or may not make the college game better by further increasing parity, through good coaches at schools bringing in strong players in the portal and developing teams faster — question there is will it actually negatively impact parity by that happening more at schools like KU who lure the good coaches away from mid tiers etc, which schools don’t have the NIL money and now are losing their talented coaches more. A wait and see

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Also if you want to actually discuss the possibility let’s do it. 

The landscape has changed completely. College coaching is NBA-lite nowadays with “payrolls”. Everything has changed.  I don’t expect it or even think we need it. Just get a respected basketball mind and keep NIL at the tippy top. The formula is different. 

One could argue that the NBA coaching is College-lite these days. NBA coaches have it relatively easy with rookie salary cap, signing /tying up guys up for 2-5 years vs. no cap in college and guys moving freely at any time. 
Any NBA coach/executive (Donavon/Brad etc) would be NUTS to consider moving to the college ranks

9 hours ago, DChoosier said:

One could argue that the NBA coaching is College-lite these days. NBA coaches have it relatively easy with rookie salary cap, signing /tying up guys up for 2-5 years vs. no cap in college and guys moving freely at any time. 
Any NBA coach/executive (Donavon/Brad etc) would be NUTS to consider moving to the college ranks

There’s a pretty significant difference in job security college vs NBA. NBA coaches are expected to deliver immediately, doesn’t matter what the contract term is, win now or you’re fired. College coaches generally get 4-5 years to win. And that’s one reason guys at the NBA level consider the move

An NBA coach coaches the players the GM gets him. He might have some feedback on who he does or doesn't want, but that's it. The GM does  all the work in regards to obtaining the players and contracts. They have a collective  bargaining agreement which makes the contracts binding and has rules regarding free agency. There is a draft so the only recruiting is done on free agents and that is probably only a little wining and dining along with a dollar figure. The coaches get breaks in the summer to go on vacations and spend time with their families. 

College coaches are the coach and GM in one so they have to do both jobs. Recruiting HS players is a long and labor intensive practice which involves watching them play (usually many times), in home visits, unofficial visits, official visits, regular texts/calls, etc. Some of this the assistants do but a good HC still puts in plenty of the work. Recruiting from the portal is probably the closest thing to NBA free agency but it's still work the coach and not a GM has to do. There is no collective bargaining agreement so contracts aren't binding and the transfer portal means players can suddenly decide to leave. The coach has to be constantly recruiting both new and current players. The summer is spent recruiting and coaching.

I'm not sure "NBA-lite" is the right term.

10 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Can’t imagine why any NBA HC with real long term prospects would seriously consider the move. As much as everyone likes to throw around the  “IU is Woody’s dream job” thing like it’s gospel, if IU had approached Woody after Sampson when the program was a smoking crater and he was in solidly with the Hawks that guy would’ve laughed out loud. What might be interesting to watch is what happens with a guy like Kevin Young at BYU. Going after a young Asst before they’re established might be an interesting tack. Suppose IU has a good enough year next year that Woody can rationalize riding into the sunset. Would they consider a guy like Ron Nored? He’s something like 35 and he’s gonna be an NBA HC in the not too distant future. Carlisle gushed about him and you watch video of him, dude’s got it. Probably not, though I think it’s a thought, but now that you can win anywhere getting a youngish longterm guy who’s already having college success is no gimme. 

Getting lost in this convo, along with lack of job security in the NBA, is that the star players, not the coach, have all the power. How many HC’s have the Lakers had only just recently? Or pick any other strong franchise with star players, if they don’t like the coach he’s out, simple as that. There sre only a select few who are untouchable- Pop being the best example - but he earned it, best coach in the game.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Can’t imagine why any NBA HC with real long term prospects would seriously consider the move. As much as everyone likes to throw around the  “IU is Woody’s dream job” thing like it’s gospel, if IU had approached Woody after Sampson when the program was a smoking crater and he was in solidly with the Hawks that guy would’ve laughed out loud. What might be interesting to watch is what happens with a guy like Kevin Young at BYU. Going after a young Asst before they’re established might be an interesting tack. Suppose IU has a good enough year next year that Woody can rationalize riding into the sunset. Would they consider a guy like Ron Nored? He’s something like 35 and he’s gonna be an NBA HC in the not too distant future. Carlisle gushed about him and you watch video of him, dude’s got it. Probably not, though I think it’s a thought, but now that you can win anywhere getting a youngish longterm guy who’s already having college success is no gimme. 

Not that I always get these right (Gates), but I was pushing for Nored when we hired Archie and Nored was in his late 20’s.

That hasn’t changed—he’d still be a great get. There’s have to be a sense that he wasn’t going to bolt for an NBA he job and then he’d be my #1 choice. 

On 6/2/2024 at 9:34 AM, HoosierHoopster said:

Getting lost in this convo, along with lack of job security in the NBA, is that the star players, not the coach, have all the power. How many HC’s have the Lakers had only just recently? Or pick any other strong franchise with star players, if they don’t like the coach he’s out, simple as that. There sre only a select few who are untouchable- Pop being the best example - but he earned it, best coach in the game.

Erik Spoelstra also seems untouchable. Pat Riley loves the guy.

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

2 things: 1) Before Newton got hurt I would 100% agree. Hopefully X has seen enough and isn’t just talking. 2) In no universe was Hanner the most athletic player to play at IU unless change of direction, body control, hands and short area quickness are suddenly not part of an athletic profile. 

Amen, hopefully it's genuine from X... Jakai is definitely a sleeper/dark horse factor. I want it to work out here badly. Hope we get to see him run with the other GA guards at least a little bit, even if only in the preseason. Want to see a team that plays with joy this year. 

As for #2... Lol, so true. Hanner was such a frustrating player and in the end, proved to be more trouble than worthwhile. I'd have to go Oladipo for most athletic, in my time anyway. I'm probably missing a bunch of notables though. Who comes to mind for you? 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Jakai Newton has been cleared and playing full-go one on one.

If our guard rotation is Rice, Carlyle, Galloway, Newton, Cupps, and Leal, and all are starting the season healthy I'm gonna be a happy guy.

Me too.

So at guard we have exchanged X and Gunn for Rice, Carlyle and Newton while at the wing we have exchanged Banks and Walker (sort of a wing?) for Goode and 5* Tucker (can’t wait to see what he can do. For some reason he is the least talked about 5* we have landed in 30 years.).  Plus a year older MR, Cupps and MM (looking forward to MM playing as he did the last half of the season as he really improved).

Looking forward to seeing them play together.

And yes as a public service, and to save a few people the time it takes to reply, I will add that this means Woodson better deliver this season and expectations should definitely be high.

16 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Jakai Newton has been cleared and playing full-go one on one.

If our guard rotation is Rice, Carlyle, Galloway, Newton, Cupps, and Leal, and all are starting the season healthy I'm gonna be a happy guy.

https://x.com/GeneralChadwick/status/1797804100979200271

Well, this is sort of promising.

17 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

As for #2... Lol, so true. Hanner was such a frustrating player and in the end, proved to be more trouble than worthwhile. I'd have to go Oladipo for most athletic, in my time anyway. I'm probably missing a bunch of notables though. Who comes to mind for you? 

Now you’ve done it. I’m at home with an uncooperative back so I have nothing better to do than think about this. It could go on for a minute. Off the top of my head and in order of when they played:

1) McGinnis- the anti-Perea. Not a great vertical athlete, but everything else was positively ahead of his time. Upper and lower body strength, 1st step quickness, long speed, change of direction, body control and 1 of the best sets of hands I’ve seen in basketball. If a basketball generation is 15 years, Mac may not have been a generation ahead, he might have been 2. At his peak he was Barkley at 6’8” instead of 6’4”. 
2) Wilkerson- In the mid-70’s 6’7” guys who were probably plus-6 or so with effortless change of direction and body control and legit 40 inch verts basically didn’t exist. As a defensive toolkit he was rare to the point of maybe unique for his time. In the F4 against UCLA he took Raymond Townsend, who was a really good college PG, and smothered that guy. 
3) Smart- probably some upper body stiffness and not great hands from being #1 on an IU list. Length, strength at his size, 1 and 2 foot explosiveness, speed end to end, 1st step, change of direction, all elite. 
4) Oladipo- that a 6’4” 205lb dude could beat literally any defender at all with his 1st step, I’ll never get over how easily he could do it. And then he just had the whole toolkit past that. His body breaking down was such a shame.