Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PF Arrinten Page to USC

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m putting a few eggs in that basket. Although a freshman Page doesn’t begin to replace Trayce. A sophomore Malik Reneau likely doesn’t either (although he may replace Race or slight upgrade). If JHS stays, him and Bates at the 1,2 would be dynamic. Very few ways I see us equal or better in next preseason prognostications, beside landing 2 tip top transfers with Starter production. Would suck even if we have a great year to not be positioned to be preseason top 25 next year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

It all comes down to his draft stock and how much NIL money we can pool for him.  There’s gotta be someway to start a fund to keep him around. 

Luckily if he has the kind of year to be a first round lock we should be an extremely dangerous team.  

30 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m putting a few eggs in that basket. Although a freshman Page doesn’t begin to replace Trayce. A sophomore Malik Reneau likely doesn’t either (although he may replace Race or slight upgrade). If JHS stays, him and Bates at the 1,2 would be dynamic. Very few ways I see us equal or better in next preseason prognostications, beside landing 2 tip top transfers with Starter production. Would suck even if we have a great year to not be positioned to be preseason top 25 next year.

It seems like Woodson does a good job in April recruiting guys who are committed to places who fires their coach.

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Some preseason hype and lots of available playing time next season yet we can’t get anyone to commit… Hmm. 

How about Cupps and Newton, last time I checked they have committed. We got Bates and Reneau in May so this class is far from over.

I think Page is the only one we didn't get that the staff recruited a long time and really went after hard.

Keiser- came in late and was able to keep him from committing the Maryland when he first wanted to.

JHS- came in real late 

Booker- don't think we recruited him real yhatd

It seems like Woodson does a good job in April recruiting guys who are committed to places who fires their coach.

That’s a great recruiting strategy, poaching from fired coaches.

Seriously though, transfer portal will be bonkers this season.

But the TP Giveth and the TP Taketh Away.

My bigger gripe is we didn’t even target elite players besides KJ Evans and Booker way too late.

Booker is likely a big miss for what we need. We’ll see.

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s a great recruiting strategy, poaching from fired coaches.

Seriously though, transfer portal will be bonkers this season.

But the TP Giveth and the TP Taketh Away.

My bigger gripe is we didn’t even target elite players besides KJ Evans and Booker way too late.

Booker is likely a big miss for what we need. We’ll see.

To me any guy who probably will  be one and done isn't a huge loss

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How about Cupps and Newton, last time I checked they have committed. We got Bates and Reneau in May so this class is far from over.

We have a lot to replace. Newton’s #72 in his class and Cupps is #94. That’s not the level I want IU recruiting at. The 2023 class is ranked 26th in the country. That’s not where I want IU recruiting at. We’re not going to get the results we want recruiting at that level. 

To me any guy who probably will  be one and done isn't a huge loss

Most of best players/talent of the era have been 1 n dones. Many of which had excellent college seasons. Mix that talent with experience is the ideal solution. That change again when they allow straight to NBA but until then always get the best talent. If they are 1 n Done usually good things have happened.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We have a lot to replace. Newton’s #72 in his class and Cupps is #94. That’s not the level I want IU recruiting at. The 2023 class is ranked 26th in the country. That’s not where I want IU recruiting at. We’re not going to get the results we want recruiting at that level. 

The class is far from over and we got Bates and Reneau both top 30 players in May.  A lot of the UNC teams in the 2010's was made up with mainly guys between 25-75 and won big.

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Most of best players/talent of the era have been 1 n dones. Many of which had excellent college seasons. Mix that talent with experience is the ideal solution. That change again when they allow straight to NBA but until then always get the best talent. If they are 1 n Done usually good things have happened.

Look at the final four and the champions  the last 10 years and you see mainly veteran teams that didn't have one and done players.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That’s just a cope. “I didn’t want these top recruits anyway.” If you’re not recruiting one and done talent you’re going to struggle. 

How many one and dones have Villanova, UVA, KU, Baylor and  UNC have when they won the championship 

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How many one and dones have Villanova, UVA, UK and UNC have when they won the championship 

Not every one and done talent only stays in college for one season. 

UK’s 2012 championship team:

Marquis Teague - 7th in his class

Anthony Davis - 1st in his class

Doron Lamb - 26th in his class

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - 3rd in his class

Terrence Jones - 11th in his class

Darius Miller - 35th in his class.

UNC’s 2017 championship class: 

Justin Jackson - 9th in his class

Joel Berry - 25th in his class

Kennedy Meeks - 56th in his class

Isaiah Hicks - 14th in his class

Tony Bradley - 19th in his class 

Kenny Williams - 90th in his class

Theo Pinson - 15th in his class

Recruit elite talent, get elite results, more often than not. If one and done talent is something you don’t want, idk what you’re expecting from IU. We don’t get the recruits those schools get, and we don’t have the coaching those schools have, so it’s no surprise when we don’t get their results.

How many one and dones have Villanova, UVA, KU, Baylor and  UNC have when they won the championship 

It’s a fair point. World class coaches, with mostly highly regarded rosters with a few players just away from being pros.

Sounds a little like our roster this year.

Next year however, which is the discussion we’ve got some work to do.

The one n done factories litter the top 10 pretty much each season. Some mixture of the two sounds nice. But if not, a veteran squad is better than nothing. Newton and Cupps will be outside the rotation next year. We need some dudes.

I am bit taken aback by this big a reaction to Arrinten Page choosing USC.

I am more concerned with wins and losses.

IU will be a top 15 team this year while featuring a bunch of veteran players who were originally ranked throughout the top 150. We are likely to feature at least two top 30 players the year after this year.

And the 2023 roster is most certainly not a finished product.

With the one and done-predominant  model UK has been pretty good but hasn’t  won a title in ten years. Calipari’s only title was when he had a top five in the NBA player. That model really sucks. UK under Calipari have been groups of one year mercenaries with practically no connection to that university.

59 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’m sure Cupps will be able to land a big..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not sure if he will or not but he is going to try his best to do so.   Since committing to IU he has done his best to represent IU in a way that should make every IU fan happy he is a Hoosier.   Personally can’t remember a recruit that has recruited other high school kids as much as he has tried to do.   

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’m sure Cupps will be able to land a big..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Was that sarcasm? So I can infer you are not a fan of Gabe Cupps?

Why you would take a shot at Cupps trying to recruit for IU or fans glad he’s doing so is beyond me.