Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

IU vs St Mary’s - Thursday: NCAA Round of 64- 7:20 pm ET on TBS

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Adding facts to the situation is grasping at straws? That's odd.

There's also the fact Notre Dame had to travel back from NY after their conference tourney, travel further after their play in game, etc.

I'd say having a full 24+ hours between what was stated and what actually took place is a pretty big deal unless I'm confusing that not having downtime was an issue. 3 games, one going to OT, in 9 days is nothing close to 5 in 8? Where is that magic cutoff??

As well, we both wore our away jerseys. We both won our play in games. No players wore a cowboy hat during the games. I have now added some additional facts. Some completely irrelevant facts. 

ND's 3 games in 9 days included 5 full days off in between the 1st and 2nd game. If you actually think that ND's 3 games in 9 days is comparable to our 5 games in 8 days, then I've got beach front property in Idaho to sell ya. 

And maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying on the whole traveling farther after their play in game but are you actually suggesting that traveling from Dayton to San Diego is in some way noticeably different than traveling from Dayton to Portland? 

4 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

As well, we both wore our away jerseys. We both won our play in games. No players wore a cowboy hat during the games. I have now added some additional facts. Some completely irrelevant facts. 

ND's 3 games in 9 days included 5 full days off in between the 1st and 2nd game. If you actually think that ND's 3 games in 9 days is comparable to our 5 games in 8 days, then I've got beach front property in Idaho to sell ya. 

And maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying on the whole traveling farther after their play in game but are you actually suggesting that traveling from Dayton to San Diego is in some way noticeably different than traveling from Dayton to Portland? 

He’s a troll who doesn’t support the program. Period end. 

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Maybe this would have helped?

The point we looked similar to how we did too often throughout the season when we had plenty of rest is what I'm referencing. It's easy to excuse anything and everything but more difficult to dig into why those trends continue and how to fix them. We excuse too much when it doesn't really help the program move forward.

I'm sure playing 5 games in 8 days isn't easy and takes its toll on your body. Playing 3 games in 9 days with one in OT similarly takes a toll on your body, to a lesser extent. One team competed in their next game and the other rolled over and took the beating. WHY?

21 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

No one:

Still no one:

Aloha:  THEY WEREN'T TIRED I'VE HAD TO WORK EXTRA HOURS BEFORE

You know what they say about assuming.

When you've come close to putting in the type of extra hours I had to put in at that age, in that environment, under those conditions, please talk to me. Until that happens please keep trying to dimension the type of physical, emotional, and mental endurance needed to perform that type of work.

I’m on my way back from Los Angeles on a business trip. Instead of a non-stop of six hours to South Florida, I had a one stop through JFK in NYC. My overnight flight left two hours late. Missed my connection. Then the rescheduled second leg was delayed four hours. I’m fine and not suffering at all, but I’m not at my best for sure.

I can tell you without question, after that Wyoming win, having the plane diverted and changed out at 2:00 am, and not getting to the hotel until about ten hours overnight for what should have been a four hour trip is a real factor for a few days, especially when the other team has been completely prepped  and rested.

I’m glad Woody made zero excuses, but Randy Bennett was spot on.

I also think that the fatigue was far more a mental issue than a physical one. I’ve worked some 36 hour straight shifts. Even super star motivated people make far more mistakes and don’t respond as well to adversity when they’re mentally spent.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:07 AM, Uspshoosier said:

Sometimes it’s just as easy as they got beat by a better team on a given night.  Nothing more nothing less.   If People want to go back and bring up games from earlier in the year and say there is a pattern e and e ect.   That’s their choice.  If people want to bring up travel issues as an excuse for a loss to a good St Mary’s team that’s their choice.  Why’s it bother people so much what other poster think happens with this team.   If you think this team and program was  crap during the year why does it matter to you that other people have a different approach and feel differently.    IU got drilled by a solid team last night.  Lack of rest, effort, not talented enough, coaching, execution, nerves from  kind of dancing, travel doesn’t matter the excuse they were beaten handily by a terrific coach with a bunch of old dudes that have been together and have won at a high level.   People don’t need to know who they are for them to be a solid team.  If you are 1 of 3 programs to beat the number overall seed then that’s pretty good company.   

This is a post that I can absolutely get behind. The travel schedule was not ideal and probably had an impact on the game.  However, no one could possibly know or quantify what that impact was. Maybe, just maybe we got beat by a better team and that's the main story.

I'm just not a big fan of "woe is me, we got screwed" attitude, it's just not a winning attitude in any aspect of life. It seems to me like people have created a no lose situation in which if we won, awesome, if we lose, it's not our fault because of the travel schedule.

We made the tournament and won a game, the year was a success and we now have some momentum.  But it ended when we lost to a better team. 

If it wasn’t 5 games in 8 days, folks would find some other excuse. There’s always some excuse for why we lose. It’s never that we just didn’t show up and compete or that we got beat down by a better team. But, such is the fan experience. What I hate seeing is the players buy into the excuse like we saw with Xavier’s tweet. Leave that for the fans. Our players do way too much talking on social media.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If it wasn’t 5 games in 8 days, folks would find some other excuse. There’s always some excuse for why we lose. It’s never that we just didn’t show up and compete or that we got beat down by a better team. But, such is the fan experience. What I hate seeing is the players buy into the excuse like we saw with Xavier’s tweet. Leave that for the fans. Our players do way too much talking on social media.

Completely agree that not a word about it should be spoken or worse, social media-ed by players or staff.

On and off the court, X has real trouble letting anything go. It’s a regular bad look for him.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I fear my exchange above will be taken as me making the excuse that we were fatigued. I’ll reiterate a comment in my first post that probably got lost….fatigue isn’t what lost that game. Maybe it played a part in our performance but we got boat-raced and outclassed everywhere. I was only arguing that comparing ND’s situation and ours is just ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

He’s a troll who doesn’t support the program. Period end. 

Excellent take. That performance was all we could really expect from our team. Let's wallow in meritocracy for the next few decades by "supporting" the program. There are still major issues with the program that need fixed. Woody had a solid first season and made the tourney. Let's do better and elevate the program so I can not support it more. How do we fix these issues so we actually compete in tourney games?

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Better players numb nuts. 

Thank you!

It will take more than better players if we're running the same system with the same e and e. Wouldn't it be nice to see some of those foundations built in the first season? If you've ever been in a leadership position you know it's easier to relax the reins instead of getting stricter. Will better players stop over helping on drives or will we stop the post and pray offense?

I had to walk 9 miles uphill through through a blizzard just to get to class, then nine more miles uphill in 123 degree heat to get back home while wearing a parka just to come home and study for 27 hours a  day to get my degree and these namby panties are complaining about playing a game!!! And what's with that opposing coach saying it had an effect? Is he one of them? Does he actually know them? All I saw was a bunch of ne'er-do-wells dancing and cavorting when they should have been asleep or studying all they horrible stuff the did wrong in the game before. If the had put in those extra hours like I did, well I tell ya, there would be a 6th banner in AH come next season.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I hadn't thought about them reaching a goal and then being done playing and fighting.

Agree about Saint Mary's being the better team but even facing a better team you can compete. There were just too many lapses that resembled what we saw throughout the season to think it was a one off fatigue issue.

Simple ball screen defense that leaves the ball handler WIDE OPEN for an easy three. Over helping and not getting anywhere near the shooter to contest the shot. Tossing the ball into the post and standing. Sprinting on a fast break and immediately giving up when the opponent runs it back. Rebounds falling a few feet away from our players and having the opponent get the board. Too many losing plays with bad e and e to even be able to say we competed.

Yes!  I think they were fighting some in the first half but when St. Mary’s went on that run and went up 12 at the half, they were done fighting.  They just flat out gave up, you could see it in their body language and faces.  What we thought was fatigue, was more giving up and frustration.  I think they knew they were beat and just stopped fighting 

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Interesting article on 247 on Alabama, BTW (has nothing to do with the IU game, but since the ND/Bama game was mentioned thought it was relevant to that game):  teams were allotted a 20 minute shootaround time the night before and the morning of their game at the arena they were playing in.  A lot of coaches simply chose to forego the time.  Oats decided to keep both times but make it optional.

For the night before, only one player showed up.  For the morning shootaround, only three showed up.

Oats indicated after the game that he did not feel the buy in from the group he had this year was not what it was last year.

That’s odd.  That’s a coach who is disconnected from his players and may have lost control of the team a long time ago

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Yes!  I think they were fighting some in the first half but when St. Mary’s went on that run and went up 12 at the half, they were done fighting.  They just flat out gave up, you could see it in their body language and faces.  What we thought was fatigue, was more giving up and frustration.  I think they knew they were beat and just stopped fighting 

Could be, look similar to performances earlier in the season where they just laid down. Hopefully, the players coming in magically have that next season.

45 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Thank you!

It will take more than better players if we're running the same system with the same e and e. Wouldn't it be nice to see some of those foundations built in the first season? If you've ever been in a leadership position you know it's easier to relax the reins instead of getting stricter. Will better players stop over helping on drives or will we stop the post and pray offense?

Uh, better players don't have to help as much and can recover better.  Get it?