Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IUFB Offseason/Transfer Portal News

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Literally anyone can step in and help us win 2 games next year. Him leaving won't hurt. He was just a meh corner. He wasn't anything amazing. We aren't losing Tracy Porter. He's replaceable. Just like he was a replaceable returner with someone who can actually make plays. 

Literally anyone?  Cool ... we've got some posters who will be getting the pads on!

Football Old Man GIF - Football Old Man Sports GIFs

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well last year when Taylor was hurt we ended up using Noah Pierre at corner.

Reese Taylor is worlds better as a corner than Noah Pierre.

Umm.. I actually don't think so. Not from the naked eye I don't think so. I believe our staff also wants Noah playing Husky on passing downs rather than on the outside. Noah was put in some serious tough spots this year. He went from occasional husky mins and SPT to being our "top corner". That's tough man. 

And shew... can't believe I'm getting ready to do this, but I agree with LCS. I think Reese Taylor is more than replaceable. He was good against the run though. He was NOT great against the pass, like at all.  

Also.. dude wants to go to Purdue? See ya. Byeeee. You weren't a Hoosier to begin with. 

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well last year when Taylor was hurt we ended up using Noah Pierre at corner.

Reese Taylor is worlds better as a corner than Noah Pierre.

Also.. one last thing on this, Noah wasn't just thrust into that role when Reese was hurt. He was thrust into that role when ALL THREE were hurt. Tough, tough spot for him. It would have been for anyone. Reese benefitted greatly from being the 2nd or 3rd best corner on the field and Mullen taking the tough matchup. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Umm.. I actually don't think so. Not from the naked eye I don't think so. I believe our staff also wants Noah playing Husky on passing downs rather than on the outside. Noah was put in some serious tough spots this year. He went from occasional husky mins and SPT to being our "top corner". That's tough man. 

And shew... can't believe I'm getting ready to do this, but I agree with LCS. I think Reese Taylor is more than replaceable. He was good against the run though. He was NOT great against the pass, like at all.  

Also.. dude wants to go to Purdue? See ya. Byeeee. You weren't a Hoosier to begin with. 

I agree partly with LCS. As a punt returner? Matthews and Shivers will more than compensate, and have potential to be so much better.

I kinda like a veteran, decent, reliable guy as CB three though.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I agree partly with LCS. As a punt returner? Matthews and Shivers will more than compensate, and have potential to be so much better.

I kinda like a veteran, decent, reliable guy as CB three though.

I agree, I would MUCH prefer he be on our team. I do think, mostly and assuming we stay healthy, we can absorb his loss rather easily. I could also be completely wrong, which is probably much more likely lol 

Comparing Noah Pierre and Reese Taylor doesn't make much sense to me because Pierre is a career safety and like btownqb said, was put in a really bad place there. I'm looking at who's replacing Taylor and I'm not seeing much. That's why it's a big loss.

21 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Reese Taylor has entered the portal. Rumor is he will end up at Purdue. They already offered him a starting spot next year. Just a rumor but we'll see

The verbal 'promises' of a starting position may get a guy to your school, but they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

There's the answer I was looking for. This is ignorant. He led the team in PBUs in 2020 lol.

With 7, so we aren't talking about a ton here.  I'm not sure pass break ups are a real good way to measure DBs because some pretty bad DBs get pass break ups because a lot of balls are thrown their way.  Taylor wasn't good in run support because of his size and picked off one pass as a sophomore and one as a junior -- that's it.  

He was an okay player for us, but he was just a guy....not A Guy.  There wasn't anything about his production that isn't replaceable.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I would disagree in saying he was good against the run.  Maybe at containing a guy, but he wasn't going to be bringing down anybody of any size.  Certainly didn't register many tackles.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I would disagree in saying he was good against the run.  Maybe at containing a guy, but he wasn't going to be bringing down anybody of any size.  Certainly didn't register many tackles.

Taylor we're talking? 

He had multiple plays behind the LOS. Very, very good tackler. 

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Reese? He made many plays and tackles against the run. That was what he was best at and I don't think that is a question. Go watch the highlights of the Michigan game from 2020 as an example

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

Reese? He made many plays and tackles against the run. That was what he was best at and I don't think that is a question. Go watch the highlights of the Michigan game from 2020 as an example

Yep. First game that came to mind. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

With 7, so we aren't talking about a ton here.  I'm not sure pass break ups are a real good way to measure DBs because some pretty bad DBs get pass break ups because a lot of balls are thrown their way.  Taylor wasn't good in run support because of his size and picked off one pass as a sophomore and one as a junior -- that's it.  

He was an okay player for us, but he was just a guy....not A Guy.  There wasn't anything about his production that isn't replaceable.

Disagree with pretty much everything here to be honest. He made plays on balls that won us the bucket in 2020 (edit: 2019) and won the Wisconsin game last year just off the top of my head and was constantly in the backfield in run support. Find me a guy behind him on our roster that can replace what Reese did here and I’ll be quiet, but he’s being massively undervalued right now.