Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't disagree with moving on after this year but he's visiting Davis tonight who is a 24 PG and we're still in on Queen who is making his decision in a few weeks. So we're not totally done with the 24 class. We could end up with 2 McDonalds All Americans. 

I'm genuinely concerned that even if we started 5 burger boys, the output on the court wouldn't change much.

Just now, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I'm genuinely concerned that even if we started 5 burger boys, the output on the court wouldn't change much.

I understand people believing that and it won't unless he changes this style. We have to play faster with more 3's and only one big man. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't disagree with moving on after this year but he's visiting Davis tonight who is a 24 PG and we're still in on Queen who is making his decision in a few weeks. So we're not totally done with the 24 class. We could end up with 2 McDonalds All Americans. 

Nice, yeah that’s true. I guess if he’s able to get Davis and Queen on board then that obviously puts more in the bag that he’s got available for next year who would be great additions.

I understand the whole thing about maybe he at least deserves another year because of what he did the first two, and I get that, but I just wonder if knowing he was kinda like a bridge guy to get the program back on track, is there already talk about thinking we’re able to get his replacement as soon as after this season, or are things leaning more towards no talks about that yet and waiting until at least after the 2024 season regardless of the outcome of season and ‘24 recruits he’s able to secure? 
i wonder if at this point it’s a matter of even people in his circle  (who would be the ones to talk him into stepping aside) know he’s a guy who isn't gonna be willing to change his style. “Just got to keep working” has been his go-to response to a lot of things lately. 

12 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Currently our best players are Malik, Ware, and Mgbako. Our front line is pretty damn good.

It's our rag tag guard collection that is severely lacking.

I know people hate him but if it had to be an IU guy, Alford was the only guy ready to step into the job.  Is that the best hire?  Probably not, but if you are restricting yourself to only Indiana guys he was #1 and whoever was below him was a distant 2nd.
Given it appears the hire had to be an iu guy it should have been Alford over Woodson anyway of the week. But quinn wanted his buddy instead.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Nice, yeah that’s true. I guess if he’s able to get Davis and Queen on board then that obviously puts more in the bag that he’s got available for next year who would be great additions.

I understand the whole thing about maybe he at least deserves another year because of what he did the first two, and I get that, but I just wonder if knowing he was kinda like a bridge guy to get the program back on track, is there already talk about thinking we’re able to get his replacement as soon as after this season, or are things leaning more towards no talks about that yet and waiting until at least after the 2024 season regardless of the outcome of season and ‘24 recruits he’s able to secure? 
i wonder if at this point it’s a matter of even people in his circle  (who would be the ones to talk him into stepping aside) know he’s a guy who isn't gonna be willing to change his style. “Just got to keep working” has been his go-to response to a lot of things lately. 

First off I'm not opposed to what you're saying. He's bridged the gap and let's go to the next coach who is going to take us to the next level.

If rumors are true, then I think Quinn or Dolson or both have already talked to him about more recruiting. We'll see if tonight is a step in the right direction or just a one time thing

Well that is great what does it matter though if Woodon continues to run the same system. We are never going anywhere with his 1980's nba offense and I am pretty sure he will never change. Is he suddenly going to start to shoot threes like other teams? I doubt it.

Just now, Hornsby said:

Well that is great what does it matter though if Woodon continues to run the same system. We are never going anywhere with his 1980's nba offense and I am pretty sure he will never change. Is he suddenly going to start to shoot threes like other teams? I doubt it.

I know we should just give up basketball and save the money

I'll also add this.
After the disastrous Stanford Robinson year Crean made a concerted effort to get more shooters on the squad. Added Zeisloft, Beilfeldt, and gave more minutes to Hartman.
By 2016 the problem was solved. 
McNeeley plus two shooters from the portal could solve a ton of problems in very short order.
What makes you think Woodson will change after 40 years?

First off I'm not opposed to what you're saying. He's bridged the gap and let's go to the next coach who is going to take us to the next level.
If rumors are true, then I think Quinn or Dolson or both have already talked to him about more recruiting. We'll see if tonight is a step in the right direction or just a one time thing
What is tonight? I must have missed it

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

And because of that - I am one who believes all the talk of style, shoot more etc is easier said than done. Even many of our defensive issues are guard related. No surprise the best game in past few months (Ohio State) - was X best game since he has retuned. 

yes, Woody owns the roster construction. Yes, they went after a TON of guards who said no. Yes, he needs to adjust is approach which has been said that they will. 

If you had THE guy lined up, maybe. Hard to see who that would be that you are so sure is THE guy. Otherwise you are changing to changing and history has said that isn’t good.

I agree with what you saying but not so much on how we went after a ton of guards. I always thought Crean cast too wide of a net, Woody seems to not cast one wide enough. He needs to increase his options a little more.

I know we should just give up basketball and save the money
No I am just trying to understand what leads people to think he will change after 40 years? You saw how devisive he got when questioned in a press conference.

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

No I am just trying to understand what leads people to think he will change after 40 years? You saw how devisive he got when questioned in a press conference.

I think when your dream job is threatened, you have to make a choice. If he loves being the IU head coach, then change or move on to retirement. 

Because he has shown more and more signs of this is past month. Those that don’t want to see it, aren’t. 
We are dead last in the big ten in the number of three point shots. We just got blown out two games in a row. I get you love Woodson but i look at results.

I think when your dream job is threatened, you have to make a choice. If he loves being the IU head coach, then change or move on to retirement. 
I think it was his dream job but on his terms. But if he is really told you need to produce or you are out I think he steps down. I don't believe he has it in him to live this job 24/7 365 days a year from what I see. But he may also just tell dolson what he wants to hear and then step down after next year before he is canned.

I often wonder what level of recruitment these high school kids are actually looking for from the head coach. Do they expect multiple visits or are they looking for more contact? What makes them "feel the love"? Does a text message from the head coach congratulating a player after a good game suffice or do they actually need to show up for the games?

I think it could be any of those as long as it’s the head coach and not the assistant most of the time. Especially when the head coach of the other schools recruiting him are doing most of the legwork. This family loves IU and they love Walsh he has done a fantastic job but Walsh isn’t the head coach. He isn’t coming to play for Walsh just like he wouldn’t go to Purdue or Notre Dame to play for the assistant coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk