Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

24 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Cliff is the perfect fit for a true 4 out 1 in. Let him screen, crash the glass, and rim run in transition. But agreed he is not a player you can play 30 mpg with Reneau. Just doesn't work.

A lot of interesting things about next year...

I am skeptical that either of Woody's offensive/defensive systems have major changes. I don't see us playing a ton of 4 out 1 in based on the fact we could have tried that last year after TJD and Race left but chose to recruit Ware (who was a phenomenal pick up) and pair him with MR. As for Woody's comment of the college game being inside-out, I do think a lot of hyperbole and bias has colored those comments in a way. A lot of good college teams play inside out and there is a reason for that.

The key IMO is giving the green light to shoot 3s when it makes sense and just my .02, I felt that part of the game was actively discouraged this year. Granted, we didn't really have the guards/shooters to do that effectively. We made our bed and had to lay in it. 

Early in the year, Woody also was asked a lot about using Ware on the perimeter. He'd usually respond along the lines of "the big fella" being 7' tall, he should play in the post and rebound, etc. With MR as your 4, you're basically locked into needing a 5 who can A) rim protect and rebound at a very high level B) stretch the floor more consistently. Toward the end of the year I think we saw some better action with Ware and MR. Too little, too late though. The year before, with TJD and Race... our scoring droughts and spacing were rough. 

I hope a lot of lessons have been learned and we get a competitive group together. Eager for good news.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Re: Reneau’s foul issues.

throw out the game where he got injured before the under 4 and he averaged 30 minutes per game in Big Ten play.  He is definitely foul prone but it didn’t prevent him from playing big minutes

He always seemed to pick up dumb fouls too, not necessarily fouls because he was outmanned or overwhelmed ie reaching off ball, fouling a jump shooter because he was late to recover, etc. 

2 hours ago, HoosierHuddle said:

Eastern Kentucky guard Leland Walker is a name that was just brought up in a "hint hint" kind of way by Eric Pankowski as a name he has heard a lot today. Walker went to North Central but was considered too small to be a high-major prospect, despite being highly-productive. Walker has grown to 6'1". He's still not big by high-major guard standards but he is built well and remains quite productive. Plays very hard, averaged 15.1 with a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio. Not an exceptional shooter but serviceable and improving. He has two years remaining. I'd put him below Gillespie from Belmont (who would be terrific) but Walker would be a solid depth guard. Scored 20 against Alabama, 25 against Western Kentucky, 12 against Purdue, 26 against Jalen Blackmon and Stetson. 

IU has contacted him per Sports Illustrated  Long list including low, mid, and high majors have contacted him including Kansas.

I guess Kansas sucks at talent evaluation as well since they contacted Walker.

Well, as of late Kansas hasn’t been great tbh. Lots of misses on this years roster. And reaching out vs taking are 2 separate things.

We can revisit this next season if we get Walker. I’ll take my scout vs most.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

45 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Well, as of late Kansas hasn’t been great tbh. Lots of misses on this years roster. And reaching out vs taking are 2 separate things.

We can revisit this next season if we get Walker. I’ll take my scout vs most.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

IF Walker were to be at IU (which at this point is nothing more than message board guessing) the role that he plays would be more of a determining factor  I would hope he wouldn't be coming in to get starter minutes.  

I will say that if there is one player right now who has entered the portal that I would want more than anyone else, it is a small school player -- Frankie Fidler.  The most impactful player from the portal last year was a small conference player in Dalton Knecht.  Obviously Walker shouldn't be mentioned with those guys, but he can serve a role.

Alston Mason, Missouri State.  6'2" guard.  Averaged 17.5 ppg, 3.0 reb, 3.6 assists.  Shot 42/35/78;  volume three point shooter (72 of 204).  Two years of eligibility left;  played at Oklahoma before playing two years at Missouri State.

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Alston Mason, Missouri State.  6'2" guard.  Averaged 17.5 ppg, 3.0 reb, 3.6 assists.  Shot 42/35/78;  volume three point shooter (72 of 204).  Two years of eligibility left;  played at Oklahoma before playing two years at Missouri State.

How would he have two years left? He's played three -- and I don't believe would be eligible for a COVID year. 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

How would he have two years left? He's played three -- and I don't believe would be eligible for a COVID year. 

He played the 21-22 year plus two more years — the 21-22 year does not count as a year due it being the free ‘Covid’ year.

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He played the 21-22 year plus two more years — the 21-22 year does not count as a year due it being the free ‘Covid’ year.

20-21 is the free Covid year

Cam Carter, Kansas State, 6’3” guard.

pluses:  plus defender and plus rebounder for his size.  Scorer who has played three years in P5.

minus:  inefficient shooter.  39/32/80 for his career.  Averaged 14.6 points at K State last year