Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Detroit Mercy sophomore guard Marcus Tankersley plans to enter the transfer portal, he tells @On3sports. The 6-4 Chattanooga, TN native averaged 16.6 PPG this season.

No offense meant to the player, but 'Tankersley' is the absolute perfect name to be on next season's roster.

21 hours ago, Demo said:

He’ll have a nice list. Not remotely as talented in any way as Michael, but a big solid traditional 4. 

We should grab him. He'll fit nicely in the starting lineup with Reneau and Sparks. We'll just need 7 more bigs after that to round out the rotation.

This is my first time commenting in this particular thread so I apologize if many (or all) of these guys are repeats. I don't know if they will portal but they are players that I think could hit the portal and would also make some type of sense for one of IU's 6-10 open spots ha.

-Ryan Conwell - Indiana State - 16.2 points per game, 5.7 rebounds - shooting splits of 47%-86% FT - 40% from 3 - plus defender, 2 years left and originally from Pike High School in Indianapolis. This would be a really, really nice get and I think he could start for IU and do quite well.

-Isaiah Swope - Indiana State - 16.5 points per game, 2.9 rebounds - 43%-91%-37.5% from 3 - he has one year left and is only 5'10"...he's quick and dynamic but I do have questions about how well he would do in the Big Ten. Could he be a depth piece? Sure. It'd be a drastically reduced role for him and IU should aim higher (and bigger).

-Judah Mintz - Syracuse - lots of rumors of him entering the portal, are the rumors accurate? Probably not because they seldom are. If he does though, Indiana allegedly has the DMV connection with Kenya Hunter. That has yet to really pay dividends but we keep being told it's valuable. 18.7 points per game and 3.2 rebounds. He is a terrific shot-creator and driver and he's 6'4" with 2 years left. Not a good shooter...only 29.3% from 3. 

-Jordan Pope - Oregon State - more "Trilly" rumors on this kid Indiana and IU having some sort of connection - two years left, 17.6 points per game/2.6 rebounds/45-87-37% shooting. 6'2" lead guard with proven high-major productivity. 11 games of 19+ points against high-major competition this past season. That's for the last-place PAC-12 team, how does it translate that a team that hopes to win?

-Chaz Lanier - North Florida - 6'4" guard that exploded this season after doing next to nothing for three seasons. 19.7 points per game/51-88-44% splits - 16 points against Iowa, 22 against Florida State, 16 against Georgia. Limited sample size but he could be a good depth piece.

-Jalen Blackmon - Stetson - 21.2/2.7 rebounds/44-74-38.9 percent shooter from 3...Blackmon is 6'3" with one-year left. Much like his brother James, he is a really good scorer and does not bring much of anything else. Limited passing, limited rebounding and sub-par defending (even at his current level). He would get potentially abused on the perimeter in the Big Ten. BUT...he could be very valuable in the right role. If he was coming off the bench for 15-20 minutes per game, this could be a really nice fit and I'm sure he'd be attainable.

-Langston Love - Baylor - Trilly rumors he's going in the portal - 48% from 3 and he has two years left. He's 6'5" and does not offer much beyond shooting but IU could far, far worse. With a bigger role than what he has at Baylor as a sophomore (24 minutes per game), it is not crazy to project a 15 point scorer that is 40%+ from 3.

-Connor Hickman - Bradley - 6'3" from Bloomington - one year left. 14.5 points per game/41% from 3, 21 against Utah State, 19 against Indiana State. Could he play a role similar to that of Anthony Leal and probably be a bit better? Probably. Would he take reduced minutes and a reduced role to play at IU? No clue.

There will be a lot of guard options out there that would upgrade Indiana's guard spot. IF, big IF, IU can bring a base of Galloway/Leal/Malik/Cupps/Newton and Mgbako back...adding a backcourt of something like Ryan Conwell and Langston Love plus depth pieces Jalen Blackmon and Connor Hickman would be a big upgrade. The more difficult spots to fill will be finding a rim protecting center (a must if Malik is out there) that could be used in the ball screen lob game that Galloway became really effective at and also be a good rebounder plus an athletic wing that can attack the rim off the dribble and be a positive switchable defender...those are going to be hard to come by. 

On 3/9/2024 at 2:44 PM, TTT said:

So, IU men’s basketball is going to put together a mid major all star team for the 2024-25 season.

That's basically the problem.  Basically 3 types of players enter the portal.  

A:  Hunter Dickenson Types -- studs on bad teams, looking to compete on a better team.  Does IU fit?    

B:  Disgruntled Guys -- basically guys looking for more playing time.  If they can't get it on their current team, are they going to be any good in the BIG?  

C:  Mid Major Guys -- looking to take that next step to the next level.  How many Dalton Knechts are out there, and why would they come to IU.  

Sounds to me like IU will be overpaying for mid-major talent.  Good luck with that.  

So, IU men’s basketball is going to put together a mid major all star team for the 2024-25 season.
I prefer to call it and nba g league team.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Just now, Hornsby said:

I prefer to call it and nba g league team.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

If so, then they should practice at the local YMCA, ride busses, and play in small empty arenas.  :)    

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Gotta think that Conor Essegian will be in the portal and that IU is the most likely destination.

I certainly think he's going to transfer but I don't know why IU would be remotely interested. He was darn near unplayable for the Badgers in the past two months. He's shooting below 30% from 3 and does not appear to offer much of anything positive right now. Could a change of scenery help him? Absolutely. Do I think there will be many, many better options that would be attainable for IU? I do (but that's a hope...I hope really good players are willing to take the big NIL check and the playing time available at IU).

1 minute ago, HoosierHuddle said:

I certainly think he's going to transfer but I don't know why IU would be remotely interested. He was darn near unplayable for the Badgers in the past two months. He's shooting below 30% from 3 and does not appear to offer much of anything positive right now. Could a change of scenery help him? Absolutely. Do I think there will be many, many better options that would be attainable for IU? I do (but that's a hope...I hope really good players are willing to take the big NIL check and the playing time available at IU).

If Blackmon enter the portal, I would much rather have him than Essegian.

We need to find our take over guard.

7 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

Those aren't the kind of guys Woodson is going to go after.  It's big dogs or bust for him.  

41 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

This is my first time commenting in this particular thread so I apologize if many (or all) of these guys are repeats.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs:  "Never apologize.  It's a sign of weakness."  I'm kidding.  Good post.  Keep'em coming.