Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Objectively, we’ve had 1 recruiting win in a year and a half. That is really remarkable. As a supposed “top 10-15 NIL” school. JHS success story. TJD’s success. Something stinks in suburbia.

The list of kids we’ve pursued has been extensive.

On the bright side. We have 3 spots to fill. We have literal bags of cash. We have a staff that needs to win. I Mean, something has to give.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

As others have said. The Big 10 style of play could be a turn off for some players. And thats not something IU can fix. Its up to the idiots at BIG 10 HQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, iubb said:

As others have said. The Big 10 style of play could be a turn off for some players. And thats not something IU can fix. Its up to the idiots at BIG 10 HQ

The strange this is that the Big Ten style of play is the style that Ledlum likes to play.  But if there is one thing that seems to be true about most players, they seem to want to be what they aren't.  Watch any pick up game and you'll see big men trying to show they can make threes and guards trying to post up.

The strange this is that the Big Ten style of play is the style that Ledlum likes to play.  But if there is one thing that seems to be true about most players, they seem to want to be what they aren't.  Watch any pick up game and you'll see big men trying to show they can make threes and guards trying to post up.

While this is true. The big 10 has a reputation for how its games are called by officials.

Would you not call both Reneau and Ware both recruiting wins?

Ware was a definite win.

Reneau was a win but also a 2022 recruit. We got Cupps and Newton early. My clock started after our last commit. Newton? I’m not sure the date but it was forever ago. We then went on to miss everyone in 2023. We went after A Lot of 2023s. Maryland grabbed 2 or 3 of them themselves. The transfer portal has been interesting. We tried Timberlake (lost to Kansas and others-expected). We tried Battle (Ohio State won out), we tried Caleb Love (that was interesting-Michigan win out-maybe), we tried Ledlum (Tenn won out), we have tried to get traction with Knecht and seemingly can’t get our foot in the door. We’ve tried El Ellis (Arkansas wins out-maybe).

I still hope and kinda think there are some irons in the fire behind the screens because the portal is looking pretty Mid to me at this point.

Sparks, is nice but I’d hardly call that win. It’s a “win” to have a backup like him, I suppose. Ware is big, literally and figuratively but we need 2 more like that to get on the level. Maybe we still find them, but this team doesn’t need polished turds out of the portal, we need some top talent somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ware was a definite win.

Reneau was a win but also a 2022 recruit.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Reneau was an incredibly late commit......in fact, he committed to IU exact one year ago yesterday (April 18, 2022).  Newton committed in October of 2021.

The reason is looks bleak and why there is so much negativity is the staff has seemingly put a lot of their eggs in the Ledlum basket without spreading it around to other baskets. Now it appears they must wait for the chickens to lay more eggs. We just hope that there are quality baskets to lay the eggs in after the chickens replenish. Otherwise, we are going to see some cracked and/or rotten eggs next year.

This was a terrible post but oh well.

So what kind of offense are we going to run next season? A lot of talks about how Woodson didn’t want to run the kind of offense he did but had to because of TJD/Race. But the only portal players we’ve landed are bigs. We have a big weakness on the perimeter. Shooting is a big concern. Things aren’t looking great. 

Don’t listen to Hysterics Twitter space if you want to feel better about where we stand.

Basically stating the obvious that we’ve tried to get these kids, including Caleb Love. Trying really hard to get to Knecht. Did everything we could on Ledlum. Staff’s just missing, or kids aren’t generally buying what we are selling. Can’t even get in the front door of many desired targets. No bueno.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Moving on.

I know I'm beating it to death, but....Quincy Guerrier from Oregon.  6'8"....big wing.  Probably a more natural 3 than Ledlum was (not saying he's a better player than Ledlum, but he's more of an above rim player than Ledlum.  He won't be a blow-by-you player, but moves well enough and defensively has the length to recover.  Will play through contact.  Solid build.

he's got shot mechanics that look a lot like Woody, if my 40 some year ago memory serves me correctly.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Don’t listen to Hysterics Twitter space if you want to feel about where we stand.

Basically stating the obvious that we’ve tried to get these kids, including Caleb Love. Trying really hard to get to Knecht. Did everything we could on Ledlum. Staff’s just missing, or kids aren’t generally buying what we are selling. Can’t even get in the front door of many desired targets. No bueno.

We’re not a desirable landing spot for top-tier talent. We can all sit around and argue about why, and it’s probably a multitude of factors, but the proof is in the pudding. Every few years we get guys like TJD and JHS, but we can’t consistently reload. Next year will be a struggle to make the tournament, which certainly doesn’t help our recruiting woes. 

52 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Put me down as officially concerned. We need to be good next year and the portal was our ticket to that and we are striking out

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

We only missed on one portaling player though right?We didn't want the others and we can't go off just missing on one transfer. Woody is going big (or something) and he's a closer. Add something about Cupps being a recruiter. There are plenty more players in the portal that can help us win next season.

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

It tells me how far Archie set us back. That is era that will take a lot to turn around.

Woody has 2 years in. If… if both TJD and JHS go first round… that has to pay big dividends but he is going to need time unfortunately. I hope he has it in him.

Exactly, we just need to be patience and wait a bit longer. Woody is a winner and will get it done. What Davis, Sampson, Crean, and Archie did to this program will take a lot longer than a few years for Woody to turn it around. Pretty sure there hasn't been a new coach to come into a program over the last few years and do better than Woody. Just needs the time.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

We only missed on one portaling player though right?We didn't want the others and we can't go off just missing on one transfer. Woody is going big (or something) and he's a closer. Add something about Cupps being a recruiter. There are plenty more players in the portal that can help us win next season.

Also, Our NIL is great except when it isn’t. 

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Don’t listen to Hysterics Twitter space if you want to feel better about where we stand.

I just don't think Woodson with Rosemond, Hunter, and Walsh is good enough.... I keep seeing Rabjohns and Hysteric dude praise Yasir Rosemond and Walsh and even Howard for their "work" and what not. "Pay Coach Ya!!" "Look at Howards Tweets!!" Yes, the Staff deserves credit for JHS, Reneau, and possibly Ware. But it's gonna have to be more than that to get IU back to a national status. Woodson needs a strong staff around him. When 2/3's of your assistants are from the Archie Miller era...that's not a good thing folks. Again, I appreciate their hard work. I don't doubt that. I just don't think they are good enough. 

That being said it's not panic time but the staff HAS to start closing on some of these guys. I laugh when Rabjohns says they are being "selective". When you have 3 maybe 4 open spots I don't think you can afford that. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I just don't think Woodson with Rosemond, Hunter, and Walsh is good enough.... I keep seeing Rabjohns and Hysteric dude praise Yasir Rosemond and Walsh and even Howard for their "work" and what not. "Pay Coach Ya!!" "Look at Howards Tweets!!" Yes, the Staff deserves credit for JHS, Reneau, and possibly Ware. But it's gonna have to be more than that to get IU back to a national status. Woodson needs a strong staff around him. When 2/3's of your assistants are from the Archie Miller era...that's not a good thing folks. Again, I appreciate their hard work. I don't doubt that. I just don't think they are good enough. 

That being said it's not panic time but the staff HAS to start closing on some of these guys. I laugh when Rabjohns says they are being "selective". When you have 3 maybe 4 open spots I don't think you can afford that. 

Didn't we fill a few of those open roster spots with bigs so that we can go with Woody's preferred more modern offense?